Heavy Cruisers: Myōkō Class

Add your posts about the Imperial Japanese Navy in this section
Brian James

Heavy Cruisers: Myōkō Class

Unread post by Brian James »

Lead Ship,Heavy Cruiser IJNS Myōkō pictured post her second reconstruction in 1941,Myōkō was repeatedly modernized and upgraded throughout her career in order to counter the growing threat of air strikes. She eventually mounted 52 Type 96 25 mm AT/AA Gun guns and two 13.2 mm (0.52 in) AA guns after her final upgrade.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
designeraccd

Re: Heavy Cruisers: Myōkō Class

Unread post by designeraccd »

NACHI became a 3 pc. cruiser when sunk by USN carrier planes in '44. DFO
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
designeraccd

Here is the HAGURO under construction, in 1929, IIRC......DFO
ivorthediver

Unread post by ivorthediver »

Thanks Dennis a nice collection of shot's thank you for sharing them with us .
"What Ever Floats your Boat"
Brian James

Myōkō Class Heavy Cruiser IJNS Ashigara pictured at the Spithhead Review in May 1937.
ivorthediver

Interesting gun layout here Brian , dont think I have seen that kind of configuration before :shock:
DonBoyer

Unread post by DonBoyer »

Very nicely cleaned up photo of Ashigara. I think I've mentioned it before, but Ashigara must have been the most photographed ship in the Imperial Japanese navy due to her attendance at both the Kiel review and the Royal review at Portsmouth. If I remember correctly, she was carefully gazed upon by naval constructors in England, whose consensus was basically, "if that's 10,000 tons, I'll eat a bucket of hot rivets." The gun arrangement was similar to that used by the Brooklyn class light cruisers with turret three turned aft, although the Japanese came up with it first.
Don G. Boyer

"For a successful technology, reality has to take precedence over public relations, because nature cannot be fooled."(Richard Feynman)
Brian James

Myōkō Class Heavy Cruiser IJNS Ashigara pictured on trials,post her second reconstruction on June 14th 1940.
designeraccd

Here's ASHIGARA at Kiel in '37, and Singapore in '42. DFO
ivorthediver

Well what ever else they may or may not been good ...at you have to admit they produced effective fighting ships for that period of history I.M.O.A........there implementation is another issue :?
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic

Return to “Imperial Japanese Navy”