D DAY 75

Post here about the Imperial War Museum and its exhibits
Pelican

D DAY 75

Unread post by Pelican »

The following information is posted here on the basis that HMS Belfast took part in the Normandy Landings.
However, if Jim considers it appropriate would he please move it to a more suitable thread.

D DAY 75

6 June 2019 marks the 75th anniversary of The D-Day Landings – one of the most remarkable Allied wartime operations.

The Royal British Legion is working with the UK Government and other stakeholders to plan significant commemorations to mark D-Day 75, both in Normandy and across the United Kingdom.

We’re excited to announce that The Royal British Legion, in partnership with Arena Travel, have chartered a ship, the MV Boudicca, to provide a fully funded tour for 300 D-Day Veterans. Each veteran is able to bring one carer who will also be fully funded.

Priority will be given to veterans who participated in the D-Day Landings, with the remaining spaces allocated to Normandy Veterans via a ballot.

To apply for a place on the MV Boudicca, please download and print the following three forms:
SEE - https://www.britishlegion.org.uk/commun ... KDiZAAMgdc
HMS Pelican 1938 - 1958 GGCV L86 U86 F86 What I Have I Hold ~ A wonderful bird is the Pelican its beak can hold more than its belly can.
ivorthediver

Re: D DAY 75

Unread post by ivorthediver »

What a wonderful idea David , but without sounding churlish .....are there still 150 veterans still around who could partake in this event assuming its actual D Day Veterans who qualify and not their respective offspring :?:

By my reckoning they would be in their 90's surely ......but none the less a very good idea for those who qualify :? and money well spent in my opinion
"What Ever Floats your Boat"
timlewin

Unread post by timlewin »

I passed this on to a couple of my old stalwarts only to find they are already going by taxi, courtesy of the London Black Cabs association, good lads! you wont find Uber doing this....
ivorthediver

Credit where Credit's due eh Tim , the London Black Cabbies are much maligned by their private cabby counterparts who plunder Their hard earned territory , so I am the first to thank them for their generosity to our old fellows !

Lets hope for good weather and a clam sea to aid their trip bless em . :)
DaveH

Unread post by DaveH »

It is a great idea whichever way you cut it . You are right Tim , there can't be many left . Down here in Plymouth next week we will lay to rest two 99 year old Veterans of Dunkirk , one I knew well and an out and out character who I never saw without a smile on his face and he was still carrying the Dunkirk Standard at 98 . He visited Monte Cassino almost annually and had intended to be there for his 100th , sadly an item on his Bucket list he will not make .
timlewin

I just found this speech sent to me by a senior man from the US Embassy from when we held our D-day +70 event 5 years ago. This was in HMSB with a wide range of old chaps and diplomats (see link to Russian coverage link )

Its a grand speech, well worth showing you again.
tim
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
jbryce1437

Unread post by jbryce1437 »

Many thanks Tim, I corrected the error in your link

Jim
HMS Raleigh 1963 , HMS Collingwood 1963 & 67 , HMS Ark Royal 1964-7, HMS Undaunted 1968-71, HMS Victory (Fleet Maintenance Group) 1971-72, HMS Exmouth 1972-74
JEM, EM, OEM, LOEM, POOEL
Then 28 years in the Fire Brigade
Retired since 2002
timlewin

I read in the news this morning that there is now a move to preserve by "listing", I guess as historic monuments, all the physical remains of D-day. As a small child living on Hayling Island I very well remember the remains of a couple of Mulberry Harbour caissons that for one reason or another had failed to make it across the channel and more than this, I remember because we used it as a playground, the big American camp at Sinai Warren. This was directly across the road from where the Marrack family lived. John Marrack was a RN officer, he had been No.1 of HMS Vigilant at D-day, and went on to share various gunnery courses with my own father. His son Johnnie was my great friend then so with him, and a couple of other boy of similar age we would explore the camp. I remember the huge mess hall, and kitchens, gaily painted with Walt Disney cartoons, and the circular gun emplacements with big rusty bolts protruding from the concrete where the guns had been secured, presumably AA. I think this camp went on to become one of Warners holiday camps. Does anyone else have memoriws of this place and other D-day relics of that era around Portsmouth Harbour?

I also think I remember quite a few bigger LCTs up the trot, but back then there were a huge number of laid up ships.
timlewin

looking back at earlier threads I note my reference to Captain Rolfe Monteith, our Canadian veteran (HMS Hardy). He set off yesterday in "his" cab to arrive today at the British Normandy HQ to join in the celebrations.
ivorthediver

Well Tim I'm sure you will look after him in your usual friendly manner [that could melt plate steel].... bless you .

You seem to engender the most unlikely to pour their hearts out from what I have seen , so know one is better placed to do it and we wish you all the very best with the events coming up with which you have aligned your involvement :) :)
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic

Return to “The Imperial War Museum - HMS Belfast: RAF Duxford”