SCU RN Unit Tangmere & later SCU Leydene

Post anything relating to Communications on this thread
Little h

Re: SCU RN Unit Tangmere & later SCU Leydene

Unread post by Little h »

ivorthediver wrote: Sat Jan 12, 2019 5:25 pm

The rumour at the time was that the installation was a listening centre used to collect world wide information from sources both above and below the horizons aided by the enormous circle of masts strung in a circle that must have covered an are of square miles , non of which could be confirmed at the time .

I am not sure if it is still operational as I haven't been over that way for years and I was told that most of its facilities were now closed , but there were huge blocks of accommodation blocks running parallel to the roads which were rumoured to having been released for housing needs ?
from Wiki:-

In 1962, a 1,443 feet (440 m) diameter AN/FLR-9 Wullenweber antenna array was constructed at Chicksands to form part of the Iron Horse HF direction finding network. This antenna array, dubbed the Elephant Cage, was dismantled in 1996 when the USAF withdrew from the site, handing it back to the British Armed Forces.[7]

Return to British Armed Forces control

In 1997 the Intelligence Corps assumed responsibility for the site, moving the Corps Headquarters from Ashford, Kent along with Intelligence Training.[9]
Current use

Since 1997 the site has been the home of the Defence Intelligence and Security Centre (DISC) and the Headquarters of the Intelligence Corps. In January 2015, the site was renamed as the Joint Intelligence Training Group (JITG).[10]

JITG conducts training for personnel of all three arms of the British Armed Forces, members of the Civil Service and others. Courses are delivered across the range of Intelligence disciplines.

HMS Ferret is a Royal Naval Reserve training centre formed in 1989 at the Intelligence Corps centre in Ashford. The unit transferred with the Corps and the Defence Intelligence and Security Centre in 1997.[11]
77_big.jpg
The 'elephant cage' at Chicksands
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Little h
ivorthediver

Unread post by ivorthediver »

Yup thats the Animal Harry , but first time I have seen an Ariel view of it though ;)
"What Ever Floats your Boat"
Pelican

Unread post by Pelican »

Recent photos of Leydene
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
HMS Pelican 1938 - 1958 GGCV L86 U86 F86 What I Have I Hold ~ A wonderful bird is the Pelican its beak can hold more than its belly can.
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic

Return to “Communications”