Thai Navy

Add your posts about Other Navies, not already listed, here
Brian James

Thai Navy

Unread post by Brian James »

The latest Thai Frigate HTMS Bhumibol Adulyadej pictured arriving at Sattahip Naval Base, Chonburi on January 5th 2019.She is a high-performance Stealth Frigate assembled by Daewoo Shipbuilding & Marine Engineering (DSME). The ship is an enhanced derivative of the Gwanggaeto the Great-Class Destroyer, equipped with DW-3000F Class stealth technology.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
designeraccd

Re: Thai Navy

Unread post by designeraccd »

Looks to be a effective FFG, therefore nooooo good for USN's nu frigate........altho only a 8 cell VLS seems a bit "light".

"The Royal Thai Navy welcomed its first South Korean-built frigate in a ceremony at the Sattahip Naval Base on January 7.

Named after the late King Bhumibol Adulyadej, the frigate was built by Daewoo Shipbuilding & Marine Engineering’s (DSME’s) under a US$410 million contract from August 2013.

HTMS Bhumibol Adulyadej is the first of two ships to be built for Thailand. The second vessel in the class is to be built locally under a transfer of technology agreement.

The DW3000 multipurpose frigate was officially delivered to the Royal Thai Navy in a ceremony in December after being launched in January 2017.

Previously known as Tachin, Bhumibol Adulyadej is based on the South Korean KDX-1 destroyer design, measures 122.5 meters in length and has a crew of 136.

The frigate displaces 3,650 tons and is expected to be equipped with a 76mm gun, an 8-cell vertical launch system, Harpoon anti-ship missile launchers, a Phalanx close-in weapon system, and decoy launchers."

Data on her Italian 76 mm gun:

Caliber: 3 inches / 76,2 mm
Barrel lentht: 186 inches / 4,72 meters (= 62 caliber)
Weight: 7900kg, empty (Super Rapid)
Shell: 76 x 900 mm / 12,34 kilograms
Elevation: – 15° to + 85°
Traverse: 360°
Rate of fire: Compact: 85 rpm / Super Rapid: selectable from single shot up to 120 rpm
Muzzle Velocity: 925 m/s (1100 m/s – DART)
Magazine: Compact: 80 rounds / SR: 85 rounds

Range:
16 kilometers with standard ammunition
20 km with extended range ammunition
up to 40 km with VULCANO ammunition

Ammunition:
– HE (high explosive) – 6,296kg / Range 16km / effective range 8km (4km vs. air targets at elev. 85°)
– MOM (multi-role OTO munition)
– PFF (pre-formed fragmentation) – anti-missile ammunition
– SAPOM (semi-armored piercing OTO munition) – 6,35kg / Range 16km
– SAPOMER (semi-armored piercing OTO munition, extended range) – Range 20km
– DART (driven ammunition reduced time of flight) – sub-calibre guided ammunition against multiple targets
(missiles and maneuvering targets at sea) 4,2kg in barrel / 3,5kg in flight / 660mm lenght / effective range >8km
– VULCANO (76mm unguided and guided extended range ammunition) – under development

Certainly sounds like a far more useful and potent weapon than the 57mm popgun on the USN po$ LC$s. I wonder how well she can handle Pacific storms? DFO
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Pelican

Unread post by Pelican »

The Harriers Are Gone But Thailand’s Unlikely Aircraft Carrier Sails On

For a while, Thailand had a carrier-borne Harrier jump-jet capability that was totally unique in Southeast Asia.

For all its revolutionary technology and the unique operational advantages it can convey, the Harrier jump-jet has always remained a strictly niche combat aircraft. While advanced second-generation Harrier IIs today remain in service with the U.S. Marine Corps, Italy, and Spain, the first-generation, British-developed Harrier has long gone. Of the handful of operators of these earlier Harriers, Thailand stands out as the most surprising. And the story of the AV-8 Harrier and Thailand’s sole aircraft carrier is undoubtedly an unusual one.

Continues, including many photos and a videos, at - https://www.thedrive.com/the-war-zone/t ... hbbNF5NA84
HMS Pelican 1938 - 1958 GGCV L86 U86 F86 What I Have I Hold ~ A wonderful bird is the Pelican its beak can hold more than its belly can.
Pelican

Unread post by Pelican »

Thai Royal Navy Vessel HTMS Sukhothai Sinks

The Royal Thai Navy has confirmed that the HTMS Sukhothai, a Ratanakosin-class corvette commissioned in 1987 has sunk, one hour ago.

According to local Thai media, the Prime Minister is monitoring the event and all crew members have been rescued and confirmed safe. The report from The Standard reads below:

“Today (18 December) from Sukhothai Luang Case, the boat had an incidence of tilt due to encountering strong waves, causing some seawater to flow into the electrical system through the exhaust pipe next to the ship, causing the power engine to be off and causing the big machine to stop working, causing the ship not to sink. Control the boat and allows water to get inside the hull to tilt later.

At 11:30 pm Navy reports Sukhothai main ship has sunk under the surface due to high water entering the ship. All of the forces are safe.

While the General Teacher. Prayut Chan-Ocha, Prime Minister and Defense Minister, followed the incident of Luang Sukhothai, which encountered a strong storm in the middle of the Gulf of Thailand, forcing the Navy to rush to help all the troops to safely return to the shore.”

Video at - https://twitter.com/TessaronF/status/16 ... i-sinks%2F

See - https://theatlasnews.co/breakingnews/20 ... hai-sinks/
HMS Pelican 1938 - 1958 GGCV L86 U86 F86 What I Have I Hold ~ A wonderful bird is the Pelican its beak can hold more than its belly can.
Pelican

Unread post by Pelican »

Pelican wrote: Sun Dec 18, 2022 10:47 pm Thai Royal Navy Vessel HTMS Sukhothai Sinks

The Royal Thai Navy has confirmed that the HTMS Sukhothai, a Ratanakosin-class corvette commissioned in 1987 has sunk, one hour ago.

According to local Thai media, the Prime Minister is monitoring the event and all crew members have been rescued and confirmed safe. The report from The Standard reads below:

“Today (18 December) from Sukhothai Luang Case, the boat had an incidence of tilt due to encountering strong waves, causing some seawater to flow into the electrical system through the exhaust pipe next to the ship, causing the power engine to be off and causing the big machine to stop working, causing the ship not to sink. Control the boat and allows water to get inside the hull to tilt later.

At 11:30 pm Navy reports Sukhothai main ship has sunk under the surface due to high water entering the ship. All of the forces are safe.

While the General Teacher. Prayut Chan-Ocha, Prime Minister and Defense Minister, followed the incident of Luang Sukhothai, which encountered a strong storm in the middle of the Gulf of Thailand, forcing the Navy to rush to help all the troops to safely return to the shore.”

Video at - https://twitter.com/TessaronF/status/16 ... i-sinks%2F

See - https://theatlasnews.co/breakingnews/20 ... hai-sinks/
UPDATE:

Thailand warship capsizes leaving 31 sailors missing

See - https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-asia-64023249.amp

Link from Tim.
Pelican

Unread post by Pelican »

HTMS Chakri Naruebet (911) in the South China Sea in 2001. At 599 ft, she's the smallest active aircraft carrier in the world. Based on the Spanish Navy's Principe de Asturias (R11), she was commissioned in 1997.

She was designed to operate 6 AV-8S Matador (Harrier) and 4 to 6 S70B Seahawk helicopters. Hangar stowage can accommodate up to 10 aircraft and an extra 14 helicopters can be operated from her deck.

Nine Matadors were purchased secondhand from Spain but by 1999 only one was operational and despite attempts to acquire FA2s from the RN, they were withdrawn from service in 2006.

The ship is open to the public when docked at her homeport of Sattahip Naval Base.
Brian James

Unread post by Brian James »

Built for the Thai Navy, PLAN Type 071 Amphibious Transport Dock Wuzhi Shan (NATO reporting name Yuzhao Class), pictured fitting out in 2022
Pelican

Unread post by Pelican »

Frigate damaged by ammunition from another naval ship At least 13 injured in ammunition incident

A gun shot from HTMS Chonburi accidentally struck HTMS Khirirat on Thursday, causing a fire and injuring 13 soldiers.
Both Thai navy vessels were anchored at Laem Thian Pier, Sattahip Naval Base

Continues, including photos & video at - https://www.bangkokpost.com/thailand/ge ... naval-ship
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic

Return to “Other Navies”