Corvettes: Tarantul Class

Add your posts about the Russian Navy in this section
Brian James

Corvettes: Tarantul Class

Unread post by Brian James »

Tarantul Class Guided Missile Corvette RFS Ivanovets pictured at Sevastopol,December 26th 2018.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
timlewin

Re: Corvettes: Tarantul Class

Unread post by timlewin »

thanks Brian; I know Sevastopol quite well, or rather did; for about 12 years I represented Crimea in the UK and used to organise an annual investment conference for them in London. Despite the rather uninspiring backdrop to these photos Sevastopol of a rather fine port city, the Naval Port was actually designed for Katherine the Great by a Scottish Admiral way back when. There are some good buildings from the 18th century. I did arrange for the head of development of the old Naval DY at Portsmouth to join me on a mission to help them rehabilitate these run-down assets in much the way Portsmouth has turned its history into modern performing benefits but not very much came of it and now the ownership has changed no one knows what will happen. Actually Sevasptopol was always a Russian "Hero" city, it did not cede to Ukraine in the chaos of Perestroika, both countries retained use of it. Just round the corner is the small haven of Balaclava which has a nuclear submarine bunker dug into the mountain overlooking the small harbour. This was built in the Cold war but when finished they found that submarines had grown too big to use it! Typical of defence spending. It remained a bomb-proof munitions store but was decommissioned in the 80s, when the fall of the USSR came it was abandoned but has now been partly renovated as a museum and tourist attraction. When I first went there the proudest boast was how someone stole the doors from the entrance one night, as these weighted some 20 tons each it was clearly quite a feat. For quite a while the Crimean War Museum was inside its caverns but later this was moved to the renovated Napoleonic era brick fort/battery overlooking the harbour. There is a good hotel, Soviet era, overlooking to port which before the Russian reorganistion of ownership was run by Best Western, it has a fine terrace where in summer its a pleasure to sit and drink watching the shipping.
There is a military airfield nearby which has limited civilian use, they had plans to make this into Crimea's second international terminal but nothing much came of it, and probably wont for a long time to come....
There are some excellent vineyards in the Sevastopol area, Inkerman Winery, where they make mainly red wine, and an interesting red champagne.
Ho hum.....

tim
timlewin

some random views of Sevastopol area; Crimea is a very beautiful area in general.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
timlewin

the ruins are of Chersoneses, just outside Sevastopol where there is a beautiful Sailors Cathedral, when I went there this had just been fully restored having been used as a potato store during Soviet times. There is a memorial bell you can make out on the shore line.
tim
ivorthediver

Unread post by ivorthediver »

Thank you so much for this insight of the local Tim , would love to know more as it is obviously a favourite of yours ;)
"What Ever Floats your Boat"
timlewin

the entire region is delightful Ivor, that whole South Coast is dotted with Palaces of the Tsarist nobility. The main one being the Livadia Palace where the Tsar himself lived and in which the Yalta Treaty was signed that sealed the fate of Europe for half a century or more. I spoke there at ceremonies for the 65th and 70th anniversaries, in the White Hall where the treaty was signed, the only Brit in the place. the panelled room is from the Vorontsov Palace where WSC stayed, and the view is from his window, that escarpment shelters the South Coast from the icy North winds from the Ukraine steppes giving it a completely different climate
timlewin

a few period pics they gave me of the actual Yalta conference time, Feb 1945.
it the earlier photos from the White Hall at the Livadia I an in there somewhere.
timlewin

some general view of the little seaside enclave at Santa Barbara where I used to stay, and the obligatory wine tasting at the Massandra winery. This was the winery that donated two barrels of port and Marsala to the 200th anniversary banquet in the Painted Hall at Greenwich, and the 1945 Victory wines for the dedication ceremony for the completion of the Last Witness project to replace the masts of Belfast.
ivorthediver

Unread post by ivorthediver »

Very picturesque Tim,... but with bleak overtones judging by the photo's ,but superb architecture and furnishings in the great Hall .

I commend you for polishing off a tray of drinks of that magnitude Tim , and empathise with the need to be seated, and I am pleased to note that your breeding prevailed and you did not drain all the glasses whilst in view of the Camera or was that your overriding modesty ;)

Thank you for sharing these snippets of times passed Tim , always good to see the full picture of any region
"What Ever Floats your Boat"
designeraccd

Unread post by designeraccd »

Beautiful scenery and old buildings; to bad czar vlad is determined to make the "West" the enemy............. :( Never the less, thanks for the photos and insight..... :) DFO
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic

Return to “Russian Navy”