GPS or not ..is the question now perhaps ?

Post anything relating to Electrical Engineering on this thread
ivorthediver

GPS or not ..is the question now perhaps ?

Unread post by ivorthediver »

Well without wishing to start the new year with a prospect of doom ......I am surprised that another member has not mentioned the New runner in the space race . :o CHINA :?

When you look at most of the guidance systems , and weapons systems [ whilst not pretending to understand the technical whys and therefore's relating to it] is the next step the disruption and or disablement of this via some sneaky device should the next world confrontation erupt :shock:

My concern would be that the majority of defence and attack systems rely heavily on GPS and if a party intent on world domination were to emerge that would be the route to gain the upper hand from the little I understand of it .
Lets face it at the rate that the Chinese are bolstering its surface fleet , and this clear threat hitherto unknown of desire to jump ahead of the USA in space research it must be raising a few eyebrows in US and Russian intelligence circles , or am I stating the obvious .

Are we all being a tad laid back about this move , or will the midnight oil be burning in the White House and the Kremlin now that China has shown her hand .

Our dear Mr Trump may well have been doing just that ......on receipt of that news I suspect . ;)

We tend to revel in the " blind " belief that our piers have a handle on all thats going on around and in everyone else's back yard ....but I wonder if our complacent attitude may come around and bite our arse when least expected .......as it has others in the past ........just as history has taught us all in the past.....Just a thought to bare in mind perhaps :?
"What Ever Floats your Boat"
DaveH

Re: GPS or not ..is the question now perhaps ?

Unread post by DaveH »

Well put Ivor .

I have said for many a year that should all this modern technology fail it would fall back on the old systems .

The Navigator with his charts [compliments of the Royal Navy Hydrographic School] and the Old Chief Tels and Yeoman of Signals with their basics ocfCommunications . Not forgetting the Chefs who could cook without the use of the Microwave , and the Mechanicians who could strip and rebuild a Gearbox other than repair by replacement . And that is just the start ...... the mind boggles in reality .
ivorthediver

Yes the further we look at our reliance and the vulnerability we expose ourselves to Dave is unnerving........... , and if you told the average herbert in his car he had to use a map rather than his smartphone or GPS he would first proclaim the injustice and victimisation of his type then lash out at the way he was bullied , and if he didn't knife you first , demand he get compensation for having to use a map to navigate by ........far fetched ........I wonder .
ivorthediver

Whilst on the topic of GPS , unless I am misinformed [ see recovery of the Norwegian Frigate statements offered during the enquiry ] claims that their GPS was affected by Russian ECM .......so if that is all true , imagine the global panic that would cause if it it were fact and implemented overnight , certainly the defence systems would all fail to be of any use globally [ unless of course you happened to have put another system up in orbit to which it could be switched .]
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic

Return to “Electrical Engineering”