Aircraft Carriers: INS Viraat

Add your posts about the Indian Navy in this section.
timlewin

Re: Aircraft Carriers: INS Viraat

Unread post by timlewin »

here is one for all of you; you might remember that when Belfast underwent the Last Witness programme in which the Russians replaced both the terminally knackered old masts with perfect replicas I managed to salvage at the last minute a few 100 Kos of the best of the scrap.With this I made a deal with Swan Foundry, usually making intricate bits for model makers, to cast into replica tampions with the ships crest, I only had enough money and scrap o make a symbolic 100 pieces which were then used for VIP gifts mounted on an oak plaque, see picture attached.

Last week I wrote to the Indian Naval Attaché in London and proposed we work together to salvage a decent chunk of dear old Hermes/Viraat and do the same, but more. He was 101% receptive to this suggestion and on Monday next week we have a discussion on how to do this. I know how, what I need to know now is how many people do we collectively think would actually want a piece of their old ship, properly certified, and at what price?? all proceeds to go to the appropriate sailors fund.

Answers asap please!

tim
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
timlewin

I should have said, the tampion is approx. 6-7 inches diameter, as per a 6" gun tampion, the crest for Hermes/Viraat will be approx. same size and the oak/teak plaque A4 in size.
timlewin

https://delhidefencereview.com/2020/09/ ... t-vikrant/

never let be said that the Indian Navy is not as emotionally attached to their ships as we, or any other Navy, really is....

no one answered my question about the crest struck from a piece of the great ship's flight-deck??
jbryce1437

Unread post by jbryce1437 »

timlewin wrote: Fri Sep 25, 2020 2:09 pm https://delhidefencereview.com/2020/09/ ... t-vikrant/

never let be said that the Indian Navy is not as emotionally attached to their ships as we, or any other Navy, really is....

no one answered my question about the crest struck from a piece of the great ship's flight-deck??
Probably the best place to ask would be the HMS Hermes (R12) Facebook group which has a following of 2,800 members. Presumably, they all have a connection with the old girl. HMS Hermes (R12)

Jim
ps I have just joined the group which was straightforward and instant
HMS Raleigh 1963 , HMS Collingwood 1963 & 67 , HMS Ark Royal 1964-7, HMS Undaunted 1968-71, HMS Victory (Fleet Maintenance Group) 1971-72, HMS Exmouth 1972-74
JEM, EM, OEM, LOEM, POOEL
Then 28 years in the Fire Brigade
Retired since 2002
designeraccd

Unread post by designeraccd »

A view of both Indian carriers near the end of VIRAATs' days and a nice view with Harriers above! :) DFO
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
DaveH

Unread post by DaveH »

That is a cracking action shot of her with the Harriers overflying . Thanks for that one
designeraccd

Certainly better than this shot of her arriving at the Alang beach today where she will be cut up........... :cry: DFO
DaveH

Unread post by DaveH »

Sad farewell to a ship That served us so well and so long .
designeraccd

As of yesterday the winches were getting her very close to the beach............ :( DFO
timlewin

sorry i forgot to post these a couple of weeks ago....
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic

Return to “Indian Navy”