Aircraft Carriers: INS Viraat

Add your posts about the Indian Navy in this section.
Brian James

Aircraft Carriers: INS Viraat

Unread post by Brian James »

Modified Centaur Class Light Fleet Carrier INS Viraat (Ex Falklands War veteran HMS Hermes) pictured prior to,and post her decommissioning on March 6th 2017.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Brian James

Re: Aircraft Carriers: INS Viraat

Centaur Class Carrier INS Viraat (Ex HMS Hermes) pictured last Sunday at Mumbai.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
DaveH

Unread post by DaveH »

Looks like the old girl is still serviceable . Maybe they have rescinded the decision to scrap her . She was a good ship to us and to the Indians .

I think you will find her name is VIKRANT
designeraccd

Unread post by designeraccd »

This x-RN cvl was the VIKRANT in Indian service. If and when they ever get their first locally built carrier completed; her name is also VIKRANT..... :D

Attached is a pic of her launch back in 2015. Completion date for her keeps sliding out........ DFO
DaveH

Unread post by DaveH »

Looking at the shot with her Airwing I reckon Terry Lewin [TTL] my old Skipper Hermes 65-67 would have hung the Commander and No1 out to dry for the state of her paintwork . In his usual gentle manner of course . I have never seen the old girl looking more like a rustbucket , even after 90 days at sea during the Aden withdrawal . Sad indeed .
Blackbat242

Unread post by Blackbat242 »

DaveH wrote: Wed Oct 02, 2019 9:35 am Looking at the shot with her Airwing I reckon Terry Lewin [TTL] my old Skipper Hermes 65-67 would have hung the Commander and No1 out to dry for the state of her paintwork . In his usual gentle manner of course . I have never seen the old girl looking more like a rustbucket , even after 90 days at sea during the Aden withdrawal . Sad indeed .
The photo with the aircraft (& green flight deck) was of Vikrant, with her Sea Hawk fighters, Alize ASW aircraft, & Chetak helos.
She was laid down/launched as HMS Hercules (Oct. '43/Sept. '44) as a Majestic-class CVL. She was suspended incomplete in May 1946, and remained so until purchased in 1957 by India - she was completed in March 1961. Inactive from November 1994, she was finally formally decommissioned on 31 January 1997.
SGT USMC '81-'89 VMA(AW)-121, VMA(AW)-242, CV-61 AIMD
DaveH

Unread post by DaveH »

Ooops , Gonna have to visit Specsavers ..... really did mistake her for the old Hermes .... apologies for that one
designeraccd

Here is the old cvl VIKRANT getting cut up at the infamous Alang Beach.............. DFO
Brian James

Centaur Class Carrier INS Viraat (Ex HMS Hermes) in happier times..2016.
designeraccd

Here is a very recent pic of the new VIKRANT. Is she being completed.....or just rusting??? :o DFO
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic

Return to “Indian Navy”