Items of Interest to all Sections of the Branch

Post anything relating to Communications on this thread
Pelican

Re: Items of Interest to all Sections of the Branch

Unread post by Pelican »

Makes a change from bible quotes:

Bahrain many moons ago. HMS Gurkha station ship awaits arrival of USA station ship. On the bridge alongside jetty coming into sight, Band playing, flags flying all the panache of Broadway etc. Our Captain Binoculars firmly set to the USA ship turns to our T operator and asks, " whats that buntings she's hoisted ?" T replys "its her motto sir," "Second to None" our Captain pauses for a moment and then instructs the T to Hoist NONE..another pause and the reply was whoop whoop whoop!!!

American destroyer at speed passes British frigate in the Med….by light flashes ‘How does it feel to be in the Second biggest Navy in the World?’……British reply ‘How does it feel to be in the Second Best?’…………silence!

I read of an occasion of an R.N. Ship visiting the gulf in the turn of the century?
It seems most ships had 4 funnels at that time, but a visiting Russian had 5?
The Arab potentates of the states around the gulf were really impressed by funnels it seems?
So the story goes that the enterprising skipper had two false funnels constructed, to make a total of 6.
HMS Pelican 1938 - 1958 GGCV L86 U86 F86 What I Have I Hold ~ A wonderful bird is the Pelican its beak can hold more than its belly can.
Pelican

Unread post by Pelican »

Awaiting the sunset aboard HMS Queen Elizabeth, Limassol Port, 1 July 2021

See - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nP8sNH3iAJs
Note some of the comments.
HMS Pelican 1938 - 1958 GGCV L86 U86 F86 What I Have I Hold ~ A wonderful bird is the Pelican its beak can hold more than its belly can.
Pelican

Unread post by Pelican »

Communications Museum/Library update.

After several queries regarding the future of the museum and the use of the White Ensign I thought it time to post an update.
As some of you will already know, due to the requirement for extra training facilities within HMS Collingwood, the Collingwood Heritage Collection (CHC), which contained a plethora of Communications equipment as well as Radar has now closed. All its exhibits have now been placed into the hands of the NMRN (National Museum of the Royal Navy) and have been moved to safe storage in a hangar in Yeovilton. Likewise, its vast library of technical publications has been moved to the dockyard. As to the future of this collection well that is anyone’s guess but it is unlikely to be displayed as a whole collection again.
For the time being the Communications Branch Museum/Library is safe but at present its long term future is not yet guaranteed. Although the closure of the CHC is very saddening, the Comms Museum did gain, in that we managed to acquire several pieces of Communications equipment (4 x receivers – B19, CAT, CJM and RA117).
Due to several requests for the loan of a White Ensign, from families of non communicators who have crossed the bar, the museum will now loan the White Ensign to the family of any Royal Navy veteran should they so wish. As before, all veteran Communicators crossing the bar whose family use the White Ensign for their loved one’s final journey will have a small brass plaque fixed to the top of the White Ensign container. For non Communicators, who cross the bar and whose family use the White Ensign, the plaque will be fixed to the side of the container. Details can be found at www.commsmuseum.co.uk/whiteensign.htm
For the Buntings – the renovation of the Chatley Heath Telegraph Station by the Landmark Trust is now complete. The museum has played a small part in the provision of various photographs showing a similar Telegraph Mast and the provision of the 1941 small mechanical Semaphore Trainer. I will be representing the museum at the grand opening on Friday 10th September and AB(Sea) Lorcan O’Toole, who after a crash course (self taught) in semaphore will be demonstrating how mechanical semaphore worked, using the Semaphore Trainer.
The HMS Collingwood COVID restrictions on visitors are still in force and as yet there is no fixed date to relax these rules. As soon as they change I will inform everyone.

Ken Sutton
Pelican

Unread post by Pelican »

Pelican

Unread post by Pelican »

Sailors from HMS Collingwood were on hand when a rare 19th Century relic was opened to the public.

The semaphore tower at Chatley Heath, deep in ancient heathland near Wisley in Surrey, was once a vital link in a signalling chain which linked Portsmouth dockyard with the Admiralty in London.
Continues at - https://www.royalnavy.mod.uk/news-and-l ... s-open-day
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Pelican

Unread post by Pelican »

YORK MINSTER

The Saints are headless human figures that spell out the message “Christ is here” in semaphore. They are the work of artist Terry Hammill, who designed them to be headless as a way to connect them with the history of Protestantism as a reaction to the perceived idolatry of Catholicism.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Pelican

Unread post by Pelican »

FOR SALE

Full set of 40 Signal Flags and code wallet. A-Z, 0-9, and answer pennants, all manufactured from MOD standard material. Each Flag is approx 76cm x 61cm. All the flags have brass Inglefield clips and are stored in order in the code wallet. Bought new in August 2017 for £962.27 but only used once for a regatta. In brand new condition. Selling for £650 + P&P within the UK
Pelican

Unread post by Pelican »

ANTONY McKEONE

From Lou Lou Nicholson the daughter of ANTONY McKEONE:

"Hi I just wondered if anyone can remember my dad I have these records of his he would of been 83 years old, Antony Mckeone joined 1954 from Middlesbrough. If anyone remembers him would be lovely to share any memories xxx miss him so much x"

If anyone remembers Antony please contact June Lawford-Randall, Secretary of the HMS Ganges Museum by email at - juneelawford1@hotmail.co.uk - Thank you.
Pelican

Unread post by Pelican »

JUST IN CASE ITS YOU?

1962, GANGES, FROM PETER ROSE, GRENVILLE, 23 MESS, ON ADMIRALTY PIER, I AM ON THE RIGHT, WHO IS ON THE LEFT?

615 PORTABLE. [EVIDENTLY USELESS?]
Pelican

Unread post by Pelican »

Britain looking for stratospheric drones for comms and surveillance

Project AETHER will acquire ‘Stratospheric Uncrewed Air Systems’ that can stay airborne for months and be rapidly manoeuvred anywhere in the world to provide ‘Ultra-Persistent Wide Area Communications with Intelligence, Surveillance and Reconnaissance’ capabilities.
The value of the project is around £100m.

According to the tender notice description:
See - https://ukdefencejournal.org.uk/britain ... JAaKblr4B4
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic

Return to “Communications”