Items of Interest to all Sections of the Branch

Post anything relating to Communications on this thread
Little h

Re: Items of Interest to all Sections of the Branch

Unread post by Little h »

Pelican wrote: Thu Jul 21, 2022 10:50 pm May I call your attention to the following Ladies and Gents

Royal Naval Association · Robert Smith ·
I have been given these medals and would like to pass them onto the shipmates family, former Radio Supervisor, if anyone recognises the name please message me, it is also believed that he was in the Masons but not sure which province.

John Potter There was a Melville in 392 sparkers class, Frobisher 36, HMS Ganges 11 recruitment 1958, and this official number is that era. Might be worth posting this, or checking, on Ganges FB page.

Peter Latham recipient has GSM Borneo and Malay Peninsula,( like me) this means eligiable for P.J.M. from Malaysia.
I knew Dave Melville very well (I was also in the Feb 1958 recruitment) and did a Language course with him and two others at Nee Soon Barracks Singapore. He went to Borneo for several months along with the other single guy in our small team of plus a CRS in charge. Both were billeted at RAF Seletar. We did several operational patrols together. His medals should have either LRO(S) and/or RS(S) on them.
Little h
Pelican

Unread post by Pelican »

Little h wrote: Fri Jul 22, 2022 9:30 pm
Pelican wrote: Thu Jul 21, 2022 10:50 pm May I call your attention to the following Ladies and Gents

Royal Naval Association · Robert Smith ·
I have been given these medals and would like to pass them onto the shipmates family, former Radio Supervisor, if anyone recognises the name please message me, it is also believed that he was in the Masons but not sure which province.

John Potter There was a Melville in 392 sparkers class, Frobisher 36, HMS Ganges 11 recruitment 1958, and this official number is that era. Might be worth posting this, or checking, on Ganges FB page.

Peter Latham recipient has GSM Borneo and Malay Peninsula,( like me) this means eligiable for P.J.M. from Malaysia.
I knew Dave Melville very well (I was also in the Feb 1958 recruitment) and did a Language course with him and two others at Nee Soon Barracks Singapore. He went to Borneo for several months along with the other single guy in our small team of plus a CRS in charge. Both were billeted at RAF Seletar. We did several operational patrols together. His medals should have either LRO(S) and/or RS(S) on them.
Thanks Harry, passed on, seems he came from Perthshire originally, cheers David

P.S. Also:
Please see this photo -
https://pbase.com/image/169243502 -
We believe that D. Melville is the Bod in the front row with a fag.
The names of those on it are:
From John Potter:
Front: James, Cook, Boylan, Melville, Plummer.Hargreafes
Second: Sharp, Dawson, Hargreaves, Fletcher, Edery, Shepherd, Myself Potter, Northey and Goldsmith with Driver on shoulders.
3rd row: Brannon (was Bowles), Cann, Oswald, Senogles, Wilson.
Back row: ?obscured, Cornwall, partly obscured, White, Sumners.
I am in touch with Ian Driver (Screwy) MBE, Stewart Brannon, and Barry Cuckow (not in photo).
Mike Fletcher CTB a few years ago.
HMS Pelican 1938 - 1958 GGCV L86 U86 F86 What I Have I Hold ~ A wonderful bird is the Pelican its beak can hold more than its belly can.
Pelican

Unread post by Pelican »

Express reports Russians planned to sabotage the mile-long floating pipeline that delivers fuel to Ascension Island from tankers offshore. Ascension is a remote island with airbase & signals intelligence / space tracking gathering station.

See - https://www.express.co.uk/news/world/16 ... line-putin
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
HMS Pelican 1938 - 1958 GGCV L86 U86 F86 What I Have I Hold ~ A wonderful bird is the Pelican its beak can hold more than its belly can.
Pelican

Unread post by Pelican »

HISTORICAL
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Pelican

Unread post by Pelican »

HISTORICAL continued.
Pelican

Unread post by Pelican »

Responsible Cyber Power in Practice

This publication provides for the first time more detail on the NCF and how it delivers cyber operations daily, to protect the UK and its allies from harm.

https://www.gov.uk/government/publicati ... n-practice
Pelican

Unread post by Pelican »

Visit to HMS Ganges in 1956 by the Duke of Edinburgh
Pelican

Unread post by Pelican »

I am sad to report the passing over the bar on the 28th of April of my old friend Bill Bailey fleet chief who I joined the Navy with in 1950 and spent the first 2 1/2 years with on the Mermaid F30 in the Med, and subsequently served in Mercury and HMS Highflyer Association, he served a long time on many committees in the senior rates mess in Mercury.
Pelican

Unread post by Pelican »

Sorry to say that Jim Cook ex LRO(G),about 78 years of age, passed away at his home on the Gold Coast Australia.
Jim was in C watch at Whitehall in the mid sixties. Married to Mary ? who was a Wren in C watch
His ashes will be sealed in a Rum bottle and cast on the waves close to the Great Barrier Reef.
Pelican

Unread post by Pelican »

Iron Duke has recently completed a £100m refit.

AE kings and the Buntings may find the attached of interest.
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic

Return to “Communications”