HMS Vernon

Use this section for UK Naval Shore Bases and Naval Air Stations
Rob Hoole

HMS Vernon

Unread post by Rob Hoole »

I hope to compile a fitting history of HMS VERNON for this site in due course. In the meantime, may I draw your attention to these well-illustrated web pages I have created?

Vernon Minewarfare & Diving Monument: History of HMS VERNON

Minewarfare & Clearance Diving Officers' Association: History of HMS VERNON

The first image shows a striking painting of HMS Vernon. It was produced by the resident Technical Illustration Pool in 1962 and the scene had changed little by the time I joined HMS Laleston at Vernon in March 1973; even the two coal conveyors that crossed the road from the Camber docks to the power station were still there. A Ton class minesweeper can be seen alongside Maintenance Jetty.

For comparison, the second image shows a Google Earth depiction of the same site today showing Gunwharf Quays and the iconic Spinnaker Tower.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Best wishes,

Rob
www.mcdoa.org
ivorthediver

Re: HMS Vernon

Unread post by ivorthediver »

Look forward to reading it Rob , a subject I never gave just service to on the old Forum , but had always been interested in , particular the "Guts" of the various types of mine rather than the photo's of the device .

My knowledge being limited to a scale model

So glad your back , its been a lonely corner here as the only diver[ recreational I hasten to add :oops: ] now
"What Ever Floats your Boat"
ivorthediver

Fascinating post Rob , and many thanks for sharing it with us all look forward to more as and when you have time please

My personal point of view is one of unsung heroes conveying a desperately needed service responsible for saving countless thousands of lives both directly , and by passing on their expertise to enable thousands if not hundreds of thousands world wide , from a secretive and silent killer , not just confined to the water , if my scant knowledge of the topic is correct , when you consider the spin off of intelligence to other facets of Bomb , Land mine, aerial mine disposal , all leading to the ultimate defeat of our adversaries , and the toll taken at sea by the convoys plying their lawful passage .

My Son has recently left the Army Bomb disposal div based at Debdon near Saffron Walden who spent his service time of 20+ odd years in most of the recent theatres of war , and was responsible to their movement and detonation away from their intended victims ........I make no secret of the fact that I was a happier man when he left :oops:

He did at one point tell me he was keen to get " hands on" in underwater mine clearance and I recall seeing him at an open day at his base where they had a large tank displaying their methods , and was delighted when he chose the mechanisation section instead and rose to be an senior NCO, but am very proud of him , for my part I had him trained as a recreational diver with BSAC where he did quite well , but commitments in his profession limited his further advancement which at the time failed to mesh with further advanced levels .
Pelican

Unread post by Pelican »

Vernon Mine Warfare & Diving monument unveiled

A bronze monument has been unveiled at Gunwharf Quays in Portsmouth to celebrate the heritage of HMS VERNON and those involved in mine warfare, diving, bomb and mine disposal.
According to Project Vernon, over £250,000 was raised by a team of unpaid volunteers to fund the one-and-a-quarter life size monument, created by sculptor Mark Richards FRSS.

Continues including photos at:
https://ukdefencejournal.org.uk/vernon- ... 6Ayb2ZX8gM
HMS Pelican 1938 - 1958 GGCV L86 U86 F86 What I Have I Hold ~ A wonderful bird is the Pelican its beak can hold more than its belly can.
ivorthediver

Brilliant news David and well deserved as a monument to all their collective deeds , shame its not better represented and valued when you look back at their life changing works in times of need and at great personal risk .
Pelican

Unread post by Pelican »

29 amazing throwback photos of Royal Navy's HMS Vernon

https://www.portsmouth.co.uk/heritage-a ... on-2861150

[You may have to do a bit of toing and froing to view all the photos]
HMS Pelican 1938 - 1958 GGCV L86 U86 F86 What I Have I Hold ~ A wonderful bird is the Pelican its beak can hold more than its belly can.
Pelican

Unread post by Pelican »

Antony Matthews‎ to H.M.S. Ganges

My Father (Terry Matthews) crossed the bar yesterday morning. Ex-Ganges boy, served on Swiftsure as well as becoming a clearance diver stationed in Malta in the early 50s on HMS Phoenicia. MED Fleet diving school.
COVID and other complications were the cause.
“Fair winds & following Seas”
RIP Dad

Terry is front right.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic

Return to “UK Naval Bases Past and Present - Royal Navy”