'Home Waters' by Cdr David Bruhn USN and Lt Cdr Rob Hoole RN

Let other members know of a good book that you are reading in this section
Rob Hoole

'Home Waters' by Cdr David Bruhn USN and Lt Cdr Rob Hoole RN

Unread post by Rob Hoole »

'Home Waters', the first volume of a trilogy covering minewarfare during the First and Second World Wars, was launched in April this year. It is available to order from the American publisher (Heritage Books), as well as other sources, but I am selling signed copies for £30 (including UK p&p) with £10 going towards Project Vernon, the campaign to erect a monument at Gunwharf Quays in Portsmouth to celebrate the minewarfare & diving heritage of HMS VERNON which previously occupied the site. Contact me for details.

Home Waters author signed front cover med.jpg
Home Waters: Royal Navy, Royal Canadian Navy, and U.S. Navy Mine Forces Battling U-Boats in World War I - David Bruhn and Rob Hoole.

In WWI under a crippling naval blockade of its North Sea ports which ultimately resulted in the starvation of thousands of its citizens and as land warfare in Europe drags on, Germany endeavours to counter-blockade Britain via U-boat attacks on shipping and by mining waters round the British Isles.

Hundreds of fishing vessels from every port and harbour in Britain are pressed into minesweeping duties and minelayers sow fields to restrict and destroy German vessels. Their efforts allow the powerful Royal Navy to hold the German Navy in port — except for occasional skirmishes, including the Battle of Jutland. American destroyers hunt U-boats in British waters, while minelayers create a barrier between the Orkney Islands and Norway, to try to deny the enemy entry into the Atlantic.

Desperate, Germany mounts a U-boat offensive off North America in the summer 1918, to induce the U.S. to bring her destroyers home. Although nearly one hundred vessels are sunk, this action fails. Germany surrenders in late autumn 1918 and allied vessels are left with the deadly task of removing thousands of mines laid in the war.

One hundred and fifty photographs, maps, and diagrams; appendices; and an index to full-names, places and subjects add value to this work.

2018, 6x9, paper, index, 428 pp.

101-B5798 ISBN: 0788457985
'Nightraiders', the second volume of the trilogy, covers the RN, USN, RNLN and RAN minewarfare battle against the Japanese in the Pacific during the Second World War. It has just been printed and I am currently awaiting a consignment from the USA. Watch this space.

'Enemy Waters', the final volume of the trilogy, will deal with minewarfare (minelaying, minesweeping and naval bomb & mine disposal at sea and on land) against Germany and Italy during the Second World War. It is due to be released next year.

As co-author, I will be donating the proceeds from all my sales towards Project Vernon. Personal sales of signed books have added £1,000 to the kitty so far with more expected.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Best wishes,

Rob
www.mcdoa.org

Return to “The Book Club”