Come on lads !

Post anything about Marine Engineering on this thread
ivorthediver

Come on lads !

Unread post by ivorthediver »

Whilst formerly only known as an honorary Stoker I can't believe me mates have all crossed the Bar yet :o
"What Ever Floats your Boat"
oldsalt

Re: Come on lads !

Unread post by oldsalt »

You are not alone Ivor, this old stoker (85) is still alive & kicking. I cheat a little because I was a Stoker for 7 years before becoming a Mechanician. My first experience of the delightful , wonderful task of boiler cleaning was in Vanguard, 1950.
I expect the rest of the black gang will eventually reappear.
ivorthediver

Well I certainly hope so Keith , fed up sitting here fighting the Stokers corner on me Jack Jones , great to have you back and Karen sends her love to you also
DaveH

Unread post by DaveH »

Nice to have local support again Keith . Welcome back on the new site .

DaveH
oldsalt

Unread post by oldsalt »

Glad to be back Ivor, hello to Karen. You remember we had a lot to say when you was making a model of Troubridge. In Troubridge 1957 we were in a gale, middle of the N. Atlantic. Nearly a third of the Eng. Dept were sick with Asian flu. We had to keep both boilers connected just to keep the ship's head into the wind. I was a 3rd class Mechanician, there was just me & the Chief Stoker keeping keeping watch about, very uncomfortable. I had two destroyers & two type 15's. during my service. Other than nuclear subs, there are no more steam driven ships, Like me they are ancient history. :roll:
ivorthediver

Well Keith , lets hope they still know what a wheel spanner is for , or are they to , now being flogged on " Ebouy " as National treasures :shock:

Still they can't scrap your hard thought skills and memories can they ......
oldsalt

Unread post by oldsalt »

Wheelspanners, my watchkeeping oppo on water tending had an accident with one. The boiler feed regulator wasn't working so we were hand feeding the boiler. The main feed valve was just a bit too high to operate comfortably so we stood on a sand box to use it. This was in Wrangler (before conversion) she was rolling in a high sea, the box slipped from under my oppo's feet, the wheel spanner came adrift & knocked his two front teeth out. We had no sick bay staff, the Coxswain was our medic., his treatment was crush two aspirin tablets & apply to gums, he had a few painful days before he could see a dentist.
ivorthediver

Poor sod , bet the air was blue for quite a while eh ;)
jbryce1437

Unread post by jbryce1437 »

oldsalt wrote: Thu Aug 30, 2018 12:45 pm the Coxswain was our medic., his treatment was crush two aspirin tablets & apply to gums, he had a few painful days before he could see a dentist.
I thought that was standard medical treatment for any ailment in the RN :) :lol:

Jim
HMS Raleigh 1963 , HMS Collingwood 1963 & 67 , HMS Ark Royal 1964-7, HMS Undaunted 1968-71, HMS Victory (Fleet Maintenance Group) 1971-72, HMS Exmouth 1972-74
JEM, EM, OEM, LOEM, POOEL
Then 28 years in the Fire Brigade
Retired since 2002
ivorthediver

Well thank god your out Jim , and on the mend eh :)
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic

Return to “The Stokers Thread”