Come on lads !

Post anything about Marine Engineering on this thread
ivorthediver

Re: Come on lads !

Unread post by ivorthediver »

I recall a comment Chalky made about the type 15 when it was out in the bay of Biscay he thought it was going to turn turtle , and when out in the West Indies during a severe storm crew were very wary of going out on deck incase they were swept in the gin . :o
"What Ever Floats your Boat"
jbryce1437

Unread post by jbryce1437 »

ivorthediver wrote: Sat Jun 13, 2020 6:48 pm I recall a comment Chalky made about the type 15 when it was out in the bay of Biscay he thought it was going to turn turtle , and when out in the West Indies during a severe storm crew were very wary of going out on deck incase they were swept in the gin . :o
I was on another Type 15, Undaunted. During one particular rough passage a crack developed in the bulkhead of the Engineers Workshop. I believe it was down the join between the old steel hull and the newer aluminium section. Daylight was visible through the crack :shock:

JIm
HMS Raleigh 1963 , HMS Collingwood 1963 & 67 , HMS Ark Royal 1964-7, HMS Undaunted 1968-71, HMS Victory (Fleet Maintenance Group) 1971-72, HMS Exmouth 1972-74
JEM, EM, OEM, LOEM, POOEL
Then 28 years in the Fire Brigade
Retired since 2002
ivorthediver

Yes I have heard of that before Jim , but I seem to recall they cured the problem and our dear friend Harry did some research into this new form of Air conditioning ;) ;) ;) ;)
oldsalt

Unread post by oldsalt »

In Troubridge we encountered the worst weather in the N Atlantic I have ever been in. It was very uncomfortable but the Captains good ship handling kept us afloat. We did develop a crack in a forward fuel oil tank, we went into the Azores for repair.
oldsalt

Unread post by oldsalt »

Where is everybody, do ships still have engines are there still sprayer jockeys around. Has everyone gone to the great big boiler room below?
ivorthediver

Hanging on your every word Keith , but you know us Stokers , quite , modest , shy , back room guys until someone nicks our grog eh ...... :roll:
oldsalt

Unread post by oldsalt »

When I joined up, Oct 49 in the machinery spaces we used cotton waste for cleaning, it was scrap cotton material which had been shredded to produce bundles of seperate fibres. The use of this material was stopped because a lot of it found it's way into the bilges blocking pump suctions. We were then issued with pieces of waste material, from clothing, it came in torn up pieces approx. 1 sqft. I wonder what the issued cleaning gear is today. I'm sure Pelican will remember this.
oldsalt

Unread post by oldsalt »

Is everybody dead?
ivorthediver

Not yet Keith..... just sick to death of the media reports mate
Pelican

Unread post by Pelican »

‘SUPER STOKER’ KEVIN RECOGNISED FOR HIS FIVE DECADES OF COMMITMENT TO THE NAVY
07 April 2021
The ‘Chief Stoker of Chief Stokers’ is the latest sailor to be recognised for his massive commitment to the Royal Navy.

Chief Petty Officer Kevin Hewson has spent more than 5,000 days separated from loved ones in a career which spans five decades.

That service, beginning in 1979, makes him the latest recipient of the LSA5K certificate (plus a financial reward) – presented to a very select group of matelots.

Continues, including photos, at:
https://www.royalnavy.mod.uk/news-and-l ... ief-stoker
HMS Pelican 1938 - 1958 GGCV L86 U86 F86 What I Have I Hold ~ A wonderful bird is the Pelican its beak can hold more than its belly can.
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic

Return to “The Stokers Thread”