Come on lads !

Post anything about Marine Engineering on this thread
oldsalt

Re: Come on lads !

Unread post by oldsalt »

Another snippet from the Stokers Manual 1927. My mother used a smaller version of this to light our open coal fire at home.
img143.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
ivorthediver

Unread post by ivorthediver »

Explained in typical Navy parlance Keith , I recon I must have been an arsonist in a previous life as I never had to light a fire twice :lol:
"What Ever Floats your Boat"
oldsalt

Unread post by oldsalt »

In Wrangler at Rosyth when we flashed up from cold in the winter we had to light a fire in the boiler uptakes. The fire was lit in a metal mesh container welded to the top of the steam drum. We had to do this because the cold air laying in the uptakes would prevent smoke rising.
ivorthediver

Really , I am surprised , never heard of that ,.....rather the fact that " Hot air Rises ",.. but i'm sure your right having been in that position yourself :)
oldsalt

Unread post by oldsalt »

You are correct hot air does rise, however it will not pass through a cold field at dew point, the smoke would take the line of least resistance & come out of the furnace into the boiler room. Cough, cough :oops: :oops:
ivorthediver

Well you learn something new every day , thanks Keith I never knew that :oops:
timlewin

Unread post by timlewin »

pretty much the same when I have to flash up the wood burner in the kitchen after the summer, the fire needs lots of kindling to heat the chimney to get a suction cycle going before proper logs can go on or the smoke wont rise and chokes the life out of the fire!
tim

Going nicely now)
ivorthediver

Don't blame you Tim ,

I suppose when you analyse the factors it makes sense, but like most things in life its not until something fails and you explore why that it becomes obvious to you .

Well done Keith , you now have the glowing feeling that others will be warmer , quicker , due to your post ;)
ivorthediver

Well I have surely caused a bit of spontaneous combustion tonight by speaking my mind.... so I will draw a tot and begrudgingly slip into my hammock... as I am on duty at the lake in the morning and need to be clear headed and no doubght be in for a slap on the wrist for having spoken out of turn :(
Little h

Unread post by Little h »

ivorthediver wrote: Sat Dec 29, 2018 11:16 pm Well I have surely caused a bit of spontaneous combustion tonight by speaking my mind....
Give Over!!! there has been no spontaneity - neither has there been combustion;

Certainly nothing fast or hot enough to warrant any great heat or releasing of hot vapour ;) :)
Little h
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic

Return to “The Stokers Thread”