Come on lads !

Post anything about Marine Engineering on this thread
oldsalt

Re: Come on lads !

Unread post by oldsalt »

This Boiler Room is getting very lonely, is there another watch of Stokers out there or am i one of the last. Incidentally that off shore protection vessel off Jersey was making a hell of a lot of smoke, dirty injectors usual cause.
jbryce1437

Unread post by jbryce1437 »

oldsalt wrote: Sun May 09, 2021 6:33 pm This Boiler Room is getting very lonely, is there another watch of Stokers out there or am i one of the last. Incidentally that off shore protection vessel off Jersey was making a hell of a lot of smoke, dirty injectors usual cause.
I think they need a Stoker to look at them Keith.

Jim
HMS Raleigh 1963 , HMS Collingwood 1963 & 67 , HMS Ark Royal 1964-7, HMS Undaunted 1968-71, HMS Victory (Fleet Maintenance Group) 1971-72, HMS Exmouth 1972-74
JEM, EM, OEM, LOEM, POOEL
Then 28 years in the Fire Brigade
Retired since 2002
Pelican

Unread post by Pelican »

oldsalt wrote: Sun May 09, 2021 6:33 pm This Boiler Room is getting very lonely, is there another watch of Stokers out there or am i one of the last. Incidentally that off shore protection vessel off Jersey was making a hell of a lot of smoke, dirty injectors usual cause.
Might have been to call attention to the fact that they were there O.S.
BTW how did they lay a smoke screen in ye olden tymes?
HMS Pelican 1938 - 1958 GGCV L86 U86 F86 What I Have I Hold ~ A wonderful bird is the Pelican its beak can hold more than its belly can.
oldsalt

Unread post by oldsalt »

I think that they have all swapped shovels for swords! :o :o
Raleigh April 1968-002.JPG
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
oldsalt

Unread post by oldsalt »

Pelican, what does OS BTW mean, is it something I should know to appreciate your comment. In the days of sail , in the film "Master & Commander" they lit a huge fire to convince the French they were whalers. Seriously , with all the smoke from cannon there was no need of a smoke screen.
Pelican

Unread post by Pelican »

oldsalt wrote: Tue May 11, 2021 2:35 pm Pelican, what does OS BTW mean, is it something I should know to appreciate your comment. In the days of sail , in the film "Master & Commander" they lit a huge fire to convince the French they were whalers. Seriously , with all the smoke from cannon there was no need of a smoke screen.
= Old Salt by the way - abbreviations Sir, obviously there is an age difference twixt us, seriously tho to lay a smoke screen did they simply 'change the mix'? Your lot disapproved of our lot going down the boiler room to burn the confidential waste, always during the middle so the 'smoke' could not been seen but suppose it also added to the need for boiler cleaning? Q's Q's :roll:
HMS Pelican 1938 - 1958 GGCV L86 U86 F86 What I Have I Hold ~ A wonderful bird is the Pelican its beak can hold more than its belly can.
oldsalt

Unread post by oldsalt »

Thank you for the info, acronyms are not my strong point, BO88 (being over 88 yrs old) . We used to burn all sorts in the furnace, even the result of someone caught short, wrapped in rags.
oldsalt

Unread post by oldsalt »

Riffling through old bits of paper I found the report written by two Engineers of the Ranpura. It brought back the memories of the recip. engines, LP cylinder was 27FT in diam. The number of Stokers in the wtch who tipped buckets of coolant over the bearings. The atrocious evaporating plant, I was a watchkeeper on the evaps. The rough weather we hit in the Bay of Biscay where there was a danger of capsizing due to the enormous weight of the rolling mills high in the ship, I can still hear the holding down chains creaking. We were warned not to allow more than 6" water in the bilge because of the stability. It would be an under statement to say we were relieved when we got to Malta. I wonder what the next 50 years will bring, whatever, i won't be around.
oldsalt

Unread post by oldsalt »

Is everybody asleep on watch. Where is the crew?
ivorthediver

Unread post by ivorthediver »

Awaiting your next gem of wisdom Keith :lol:
"What Ever Floats your Boat"
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic

Return to “The Stokers Thread”