HMS Victorious post war conversion

Building a model? Need help with it? Show the work in progress or the completed project, etc.
jbryce1437

Re: HMS Victorious post war conversion

Unread post by jbryce1437 »

A few more for you Ivor
2-hms-victorious-1966[1].jpg
4-hms-victorious[1].jpg
7725singapore_dock_yard1[1].jpg
5-hms-victorious[1].jpg
3-hms-victorious-1966[1].jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
HMS Raleigh 1963 , HMS Collingwood 1963 & 67 , HMS Ark Royal 1964-7, HMS Undaunted 1968-71, HMS Victory (Fleet Maintenance Group) 1971-72, HMS Exmouth 1972-74
JEM, EM, OEM, LOEM, POOEL
Then 28 years in the Fire Brigade
Retired since 2002
ivorthediver

Unread post by ivorthediver »

Thank's very much Jim , it seems such a shame about all the ones we have lost to the WNSF not only on this giant in her day but the many others lost , but we can all be smart after the event huh :(

Quite a few of the old gang seemed to have served on her at some time or another and at least two on our new Forum , still I suppose we must move with the times and our newest seems very capable , and well thought out , it will be great when they both go out on an operational footing .

I slight re run of history in that the illustrious class ran a similar course did it not .

If I can crack open my modelling thread I might find a few more but thats it I'm afraid other than the Anatomy of a Ship book I used to build my model from , we will have to persevere ;)

Heres a few more I found , and the piano that was sent packing following some impromptu repairs to one of the Catapults [ don't know the full story but dear old Sandy did ]
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
"What Ever Floats your Boat"
ivorthediver

My model of Victorious is about to find a new berth , as both its size and weight is to much for me to handle , and fills my workshop , so its time that we must part company sadly .

Another modeller has shown interest in her and I have been dithering about passing her on but the time has come I feel .
ivorthediver

Well indeed a day of mixed feelings for me today

The fellow modeller came to see my effort and feel in love with it and spent a lot of time viewing and admiring her .

He said that my picture on the modelling site did not do her justice and he was staggered at the degree of detail i had plied her with ;which I found quite touching and he refused point blank to take a lever arch file I had used to store shots of photographs donated to me by Post Form members and was quite taken back., but when he realised that its build was a tribute to dear old "Chalky" he refused to take it away

I showed him the model and fittings and the cable runs to the various fittings and the flickering glow bulbs fitted in the jets tail pipes fitted on deck, the wiring schematics , and the spares acquired during its production .

He said he was not worthy of such a model [ :oops: ] but said that he would both treasure it and restore her back to full running order .and I will look forward to seeing it on the lake in future .

It would not have been sold to anyone other than a modeller who I knew shared our passion for working model boats , so we will see but I was unable to cart it around any longer , needed the space , and the money he gave me as a gesture was enough to prove his sincerity :(
jbryce1437

I bet you were sad to see it go Ivor, but from what you say, I am sure she will be lovingly restored and treasured as much by the new owner. Hopefully, you will see her on the lake again, all shipshape, following her short docking period with the dockyard mateys 😀

Jim
HMS Raleigh 1963 , HMS Collingwood 1963 & 67 , HMS Ark Royal 1964-7, HMS Undaunted 1968-71, HMS Victory (Fleet Maintenance Group) 1971-72, HMS Exmouth 1972-74
Retired since 2002
ivorthediver

Well he assures me he will, and whilst being over protective of my late creation, he seemed genuinely taken back at its complexity , but I promised to help him where I could , and he has my contact details , so very hopeful of its refit / refurb and wish him every success and he was very enthusiastic about the project , so if and when I will take some photo's for you to judge . :cry:
ivorthediver

Took these with great pride at the clubs lakeside where the new owner brought my creation to ballast out and check its handling .....

As you will note the water looks very murky , and the level is at least 2m down the slipway , but other than that she performed flawlessly and the new owner was delighted with his new model .
jbryce1437

She is looking good Ivor, you will be pleased that she is being well cared for.

Jim
Retired since 2002
DaveH

Unread post by DaveH »

She looks great Ivor ..... must give you a sense of pride when you see her and she is a credit to her builder . Must say it gives a feeling of sadness when someone else has the con on one that you built with all the headaches and frustration that goes with it . Nevertheless a job well done and a renewed lease of life. ;)
ivorthediver

Yes Dave , mixed emotions but the new Skipper let me troll around the lake for as long as I wanted , but pangs of guilt were getting to me and the old Girl so reluctantly handed her back , , he seemed over the moon and was doing his thing , so better to leave on a high was my thought , so I buggered off and recovered a lifeboat :oops:
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic

Return to “Model Makers Section”