HMS Victorious post war conversion

Building a model? Need help with it? Show the work in progress or the completed project, etc.
ivorthediver

HMS Victorious post war conversion

Unread post by ivorthediver »

Hope fully I can show you a picture of this model in 1:96 scale , again scratch built completed in the mid 2012-14 but due to her size and complexity resides most of the time in dry dock [ my man hut]

I have better photos but its a case of alteration to suit this forum's requirements :(
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
"What Ever Floats your Boat"
designeraccd

Re: HMS Victorious post war conversion

Unread post by designeraccd »

HUGE!! My scratch built modernized Victorious would fit on one of your models elevators, easily.
She is built to the old JFS scale of 1"=128' (1:1536) I traced, for VICTORIOUS, the drawings from my 1962-63 Jane's; the first issue I ever owned, and still have.

Very nice. Do you have other pictures of her, especially afloat?? :) DFO
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
ivorthediver

Yes I have but trying hard to retrieve them and post to the Forum , but having some issues in retrieval it being Apple based so bare with me please
designeraccd

Look forward to seeing them! :) DFO
ivorthediver

I promise to do my best Dennis just as soon as I can
ivorthediver

Here you go Dennis as promised the only surviving photograph to hand of her .

If I manage to get any more of her in her in her finished state at a later date I will post them here especially for you .She was a mammoth task in every state of the word .

When the hull was designed from the Illustrious mould I arranged extra cost to have two bulkheads fitted so that the hull could be transported and assembled at the waterside .

These were held together by 4 stainless steel bolts with wing nuts with O rings on top to keep the joint watertight whilst in the water

She is to scale and had all the whistles and bells of the others and radar motors , lights , and flickering orange led's in the jet pipes of the assembled jets on the flight deck and in the fuselage / wing tips of the Gannet, working aircraft approach landing lights a gamble mirror reflector but no working lifts !

I had many photos of her and her construction on the old WNSF but kept none not knowing it was going to fold up at short notice :cry:

Still such is life eh .

As you can see this shot was on her maiden voyage prior to all the embellishments being fitted which soaked up all six channels of my Transmitter / receiver set up along with about 4 quad switchers , full smoke generator .....ah the list went on .

Sadly she sits in my workshop under dust sheets as she has got to big for my accelerating back problems to handle and transport , but a very interesting project which became a shrine to Chalky in the only way I could show using my hands rather than words to the dear man again sadly missed .
designeraccd

Sorry I managed to miss all the photos on the old Forum :( Still, looks GOOD, and floats...quite unlike mine ;)

About how long did it take to build her? Sorry to read she is now to heavily for you to easily carry/transport. I know the feeling with my motorcycles, not good

The full scale VICTORIOUS certainly proved to be a expensive project; given how the ship had to be torn down to hanger deck and rebuilt, as I understand it. I've only seen 1 good photo of the immensity of her rebuild, in one of the books I have about RN carriers.

Thanks for the pic!! :) DFO
jbryce1437

Unread post by jbryce1437 »

These are a couple of low quality images of the major work on the Vic during rebuilding.

Jim
HMS Raleigh 1963 , HMS Collingwood 1963 & 67 , HMS Ark Royal 1964-7, HMS Undaunted 1968-71, HMS Victory (Fleet Maintenance Group) 1971-72, HMS Exmouth 1972-74
JEM, EM, OEM, LOEM, POOEL
Then 28 years in the Fire Brigade
Retired since 2002
ivorthediver

Thanks Jim , heres a few more [ I think] the last one is of her on her way to the breakers [ sad day ] hope you like them Dennis , as for time all told to complete I reckon about three years to get it as far as I did , and more money than I would admit to ;)

I'm told that the group of crew contains Chalky seventh from the left in main front row in the black socks between the two officers in white socks :D
Last edited by ivorthediver on Mon Aug 20, 2018 10:09 pm, edited 2 times in total.
ivorthediver

and this one of the bow during repaint in harbour , sadly thats the only ones I have ...sorry Dennis :cry:
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic

Return to “Model Makers Section”