Wardroom

Want some off topic chat? Pull up a bar stool and make yourself at home here
ivorthediver

Re: WARDROOM

Unread post by ivorthediver »

Well if the suggested social distancing proposals go the last laugh will be on us as far as the " Burka" worn by some of our muslim population is concerned
If we are all to wear face masks you will have even more trouble identifying friends [ unless of course you are an old fart like me who can be recognised by the trail of empty whisky bottles behind me :oops: ]
"What Ever Floats your Boat"
DaveH

Unread post by DaveH »

jbryce1437 wrote: Mon May 04, 2020 10:45 am On the subject of food, I read somewhere recently that an old sea dog was missing the old naval delicacy of "shit on a raft" and mentioned it to a neighbour, who was a retired naval cook. His neighbour said he had a copy of the Naval Cookery Manual and would email a copy of the recipe to him, which he duly did.
Next day the cook phoned his neighbour to ask how he got on and he replied that he was struggling to convert the recipe portions from 200 down to a portion for one. 😂

Jim
y

Yea verily our Jim that "old seadog" were yours truly . ;)
Blackbat242

Unread post by Blackbat242 »

ivorthediver wrote: Mon May 04, 2020 11:54 am
Blackbat242 wrote: Sun May 03, 2020 11:12 pm Just a little something from the other side of the pond... USN cookbook from 1920 - written by/for the "Commissary School, U. S. Naval Training Station, Newport, Rhode Island".

Two different PDFs - there are differences in layout and quality of scan, but the scans are of the same (2nd edition) volume on how to poison the crew. ;) :twisted:

U.S. Navy cook-book (1920).pdf

US_Navy_Cook-Book_1920.pdf
Well John I can now see why it is so easy to become portly in the USA forces :o
As a trained Patisserie I can say that those dishes seem very wholesome to me , but like everything in life its not necessarily the ingredients that matter ...rather the preparation and serving that counts ;) .
When I was aboard CV-61 Ranger in the Indian Ocean in the fall of 1987, we were visited by a civilian "nutritional support team" that was evaluating Navy shipboard food service.

The leader made the comment "You have some of the highest-quality base materials of any large-scale food-service operation I have seen - and the way you prepare it utterly destroys its nutritional value and turns it into unhealthy trash".

So yeah, deep-frying or baking stuff in its own fats isn't the best way to cook... just the easiest.
SGT USMC '81-'89 VMA(AW)-121, VMA(AW)-242, CV-61 AIMD
ivorthediver

I totally agree Jon , but like ALL commercial exercise its the bucks that count so speed and repetition spends less bucks ;)
ivorthediver

Well first and foremost sorry for the lack of posts here , but difficult to pick out a topic that is not addressed by stupidity and lack of reference to historical acts that are chosen to ignore by those who chose to make a one sided point the like of which the media have been going full bore at ........still it was beneficial to hold up as an example of how the uk has degraded since dear Karen had left these shores and how the general public had devalued their point of view when fed by the medias incessant chase of "News " [ and I use the term loosely ]

We seem to have gone from a well warned pandemic[ to and the severity of which meant severe restrictions to our normal existence] to the government did this wrong , then that wrong all whilst ignoring the latitude they were willing to go to , for to protect the majority whilst warning from the onset that there would be some casualties somewhere along the line and we should all try and prepare for a rough passage ......

And how do we react ?........

Well this that and the other dont apply to me ......

And when they fall ill or lose their income ......

Are well the government should have warned us all and its not my fault most of my family are ill and hard up.......God it makes my blood boil at their collective stupidity

The government didn't start this ....they tried to warn us all .....but some chose to ignore it now claim that they are collateral damage :twisted:

Right I have said my piece that I have been bottling up so I will sit back and ignore the outcome and try to be a good citizen once again , :roll:

"Horses for courses" comes to mind , that and " Where ignorance is bliss ......tis folly to be wise"

I will now have my tot and sling my hammock .....god bless .........
ivorthediver

Apologies to any of my friends I have caused offence to .......but its been brewing for along time :oops:
DaveH

Unread post by DaveH »

Ivor . No apology due here ..... I endorse every word .

We in the West Country are braced for the second wave brought down by "People who need a Holiday" are turning Devon and Cornwall into a Benidorm with their couldn't give a Sh?? attitude to social distancing and the state they are leaving our resorts and towns in . Locals are becoming wary of going out . Looking at the scenes in Manchester , London , Brighton , Bournemouth it seems to be the younger set who are determined to ignore the warnings , ignore the rules and become the carriers . I foresee the brakes going on again , the protests starting , the second wave followed by all the wailing when everything is shut down again and more small businesses , particularly in the Hospitality sector going under . What is needed is a few shorp lessons on compliance as applied in Spain and enforcement not threats of enforcement . Come on powers that be , stop listening to the wailers . You may go down in the polls but remember you cannot please all the people all the time but hard decisions applied could save lives .

Sorry guys , I have always been an advocate of keeping the "Wardrobe" lighthearted and frivolous but it is damned hard in today' climate .

Stay safe guys Remember - HANDS - FACE- SPACE

DaveH [aka El Tel , aka Ole Chief Tel]
jbryce1437

Unread post by jbryce1437 »

Yes, it beggars belief what they are up to. Locally, a couple of people, who were showing symptoms, decided to go out on the lash while awaiting test results. The results subsequently proved positive and the pubs that they visited now have to close. No doubt the other customers who were in the pubs during their visit will now be sweating in case they have passed the virus on.

Jim
HMS Raleigh 1963 , HMS Collingwood 1963 & 67 , HMS Ark Royal 1964-7, HMS Undaunted 1968-71, HMS Victory (Fleet Maintenance Group) 1971-72, HMS Exmouth 1972-74
JEM, EM, OEM, LOEM, POOEL
Then 28 years in the Fire Brigade
Retired since 2002
ivorthediver

Well that was a relief , I imagined the Mods banging on my door and being dragged out of me hammock and into the street and having my ethnicity checked ,and then being flogged on the gratings........in broad daylight ..[ just to check] .

Yes lets be careful , and lighthearted in our WARDROOM which has been the scene of the odd debacle on the old Forum in the past :oops: but like Dave I agree its getting ridiculous now .
Lets avoid religion , and politics , as was ever the case..... but the actions of which we now speak are just stupidity masked by arrogance with a tinge of This don't apply to me ........until THEY get it then they shout ...Why didn't the bloody Government warn us .... Hallo....... wake up call .....yea right :evil: ....fortunately our Service Lads and lasses have had common sense instilled in them....... and us old codgers " who know nothing" abide by the rules in every respect and then are prime contenders to catch it from these self centred idiots
ivorthediver

On a lighter note [pun intended ] do these bring back any memories lads :idea: :idea:
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic

Return to “The Wardroom”