Appendages to/on bulwarks on HMS Belfast - and County Class Destroyers

Post here about equipment carried on ships
Little h

Appendages to/on bulwarks on HMS Belfast - and County Class Destroyers

Unread post by Little h »

HMS Belfast IWM London

Mounted on the bulwarks below 'B' gun deck, these two appendages are rounded, and shaped broadly in the form or style of isosceles trapezoids. They appear to provide protection from the sea and or weather and are open at the rear of their form and differ in shape and size on either side of the ship.

These features were the subject of a debate between myself and WNSF member Andy/ap1, plus a number of others. The suggestion was that they had a function related to the airtight(?) citadel associated with NBCD procedures/attacks.

I seem to remember the owner of this new forum 'Tim' was going to poke his head round one of these to discover what was within!!!

Port Side
B HMS_Belfast_4_db (2).jpg

Mounted on port side; note that the height of this cowling, shield, or hood extends almost the full height of the bulwark to which it is appended. It has what appear to be three preformed ribs - presumably providing an element of strengthening, whilst affording a damping effect from possible vibration/resonance.

Stbd Side
B Belfast 17.4.2014 ObranaSigurnost published June 2014 YouTube.jpg

Mounted on stbd side; note that the height of this cowling, shield, or hood extends approximately half the full height of the bulwark to which it is appended. It is mounted on the upper half of the bulwark and at the trailing edge only just interrupts the handrail and extends to the deck edge of 'B' gundeck. It has a smooth outer surface.

Attributions; Scroll accross the image to identify the origin of the image from which the attachment was derived.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Little h
Little h

Re: Appendages to/on bulwarks on HMS Belfast - and County Class Destroyers

County Class Destroyers - Batch I - comprising:- Devonshire D02; Hampshire D06; Kent D12; London D16

Located in a similar position to those seen on HMS Belfast; on the bulwark below 'B' gundeck aft of 'A' gun turret on forecastle deck. They appear to provide protection from the sea and or weather and are open at the rear of their form and differ in shape and size on either side of the ship

--------------------------------

HMS Devonshire D02

Mounted on the bulwark below 'B' gun deck:-
- The port appendage is rounded, and shaped broadly in the form or style of isosceles trapezoids. It has a smooth outer surface.

- The stbd appendage has the appearance of a cone on top of a cylinder, the entire shape sliced logitudinaly and mounted at an angle on the bulwark with the apex/vertex of the cone fwd and upwards. The bottom of the open half of the cylinder shape appears to have a hinged flap or mesh screen. Overall the stbd appendage gives the impression of there being the possibility of a fan installed within.

--------------------

Port Side
D 014_hms_devonshire_9_may_1977 CCD (2).jpg

Mounted on port side; note that the height of this cowling, shield, or hood appears to be approximately half the full height of the bulwark to which it is appended. It is mounted on the upper half of the bulwark and at the trailing edge interrupts the handrail and extends upwards to a point just below the deck edge of 'B' gundeck. It has a smooth outer surface and what appears to be a hinged 'flap' (seen open).

Stbd Side
D 004_hms_devonshire_29_may_1974 CCD (4).jpg

Mounted on stbd side; note that the height of this cowling, shield, or hood extends approximately half the full height of the bulwark to which it is appended. It is mounted on the upper half of the bulwark and at the lowest point of the trailing edge is above the handrail and extends to the deck edge of 'B' gundeck. It has a smooth outer surface and what appears to be a hinged 'flap' or mesh screen.

Two attachments showing part or all of the different appendage shapes/forms mounted on the bulwark either side on port and stbd Taken from the forecastle deck looking aft.
D 002_hms_devonshire_august_1973_portsmouth_navy_days.jpg
D 010_hms_devonshire_28_august_1976_portsmouth_navy_days.jpg
--------------------------

Attribution for all County Class attachments is to CCD County Class Destroyers website from whom authorisation to use the images was sought and received from the owner a member of the WNSF
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Last edited by Little h on Sun Dec 16, 2018 1:28 am, edited 3 times in total.
Little h
Little h

County Class Destroyers - Batch I - comprising:- Devonshire D02; Hampshire D06; Kent D12; London D16 - (continued)

Hampshire D06
Note that unlike Devonshire D02 both appendages are of the same shape/form.

Port Side
H 002_hms_hampshire_august_1973_portsmouth_navy_days CCD.jpg

Stbd Side
H 005_hms_hampshire_24_august_1974_portsmouth_navy_days CCD.jpg

HMS Kent
Note that unlike Devonshire D02 both appendages are of the same shape/form but not the combination as seen on Hampshire D06

Port Side
Kx 006_hms_kent_3_april_1978 CCD.jpg

Stbd Side
Kx hms_kent._ CCD.jpg
Last edited by Little h on Sun Dec 16, 2018 2:05 am, edited 1 time in total.
Little h
Little h

County Class Destroyers - Batch I - comprising:- Devonshire D02; Hampshire D06; Kent D12; London D16 - (continued)

London D16 - (configured as for Devonshire D02)

Port Side
Lx 018_hms_london_12_april__1976 CCD à la mode de Belfast.jpg

Stbd Side
Lx 009_hms_london_8_march_1976 CCD.jpg
Little h
Little h

County Class Destroyers - Batch II - comprising:- Fife D20; Glamorgan D19; Norfolk D21; Antrim D18

Located in a similar position to those seen on HMS Belfast; on the bulwark below 'B' gundeck aft of 'A' gun turret on forecastle deck. They appear to provide protection from the sea and or weather and are open at the rear of their form and differ in shape and size on either side of the ship

--------------------------------

HMS Fife D20

Mounted on the bulwark below 'B' gun deck:-

- Both the port and stbd appendages have the appearance of a cone on top of a cylinder, the entire shape sliced logitudinaly and mounted at an angle on the bulwark with the apex/vertex of the cone fwd and upwards. The bottom of the open half of the cylinder shape appears to have a hinged flap or mesh screen. Overall the port appendage gives the impression of there being the possibility of a fan installed within. However there is a change to the above in the 3rd attachment.

Port Side
016_hms_fife_19_august_1977_families_day CCD (2).jpg

Note the difference!!
030_hms_fife_28_february_1983 CCD (2).jpg

- Feb 1983 and the port appendage is changed; and shaped broadly in the form or style of isosceles trapezoids.
Mounted on port side; note that the height of this cowling, shield, or hood appears to be approximately half the full height of the bulwark to which it is appended. It is mounted on the upper half of the bulwark and at the trailing edge interrupts the handrail and extends upwards to a point just below the deck edge of 'B' gundeck. It has a smooth outer surface and what appears to be a hinged 'flap' (seen open).

Stbd Side
Fa HMS FIFE - BREST JAN 1987 CCD (2).jpg

__________________________________________________________________________________

Glamorgan D19

Port Side
G 1185 HMS_Glamorgan_resize CCD.jpg

Stbd Side
Gx Glamorgan county_class_dlg's_011 CCD.jpg
Last edited by Little h on Sun Dec 16, 2018 3:16 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Little h
Little h

County Class Destroyers - Batch II - comprising:- Fife D20; Glamorgan D19; Norfolk D21; Antrim D18 - (continued)

Norfolk D21

Both attachments show the feature as mounted on the Stbd Side - but from very different angles.
N Norfolk 210607_10150169614491911_708851910_7368717_3982731_o CCD.jpg

N Norfolk county_class_dlg's_051 CCD.jpg

______________________________________________________________________________________

Antrim D18

Port Side
Ax 026_hms_antrim_25_october_1982 CCD.jpg

Stbd Side
A 011_hms_antrim_28_august_1976_portsmouth_navy_days CCD.jpg

As viewed from the forecastle looking aft
Ax antrim_focsle CCD.jpg
Little h
Little h

Supplementary

County Class Destroyers - Batch I & Batch II - berthed alongside together - Devonshire D02 & Glamorgan D19

Attachment showing the different type and shape of the two appendages (within red outline); also an unidentifed feature (within orange outline)
G & D HMS Glamanddevonshire.jpg

County Class Destroyers - Batch I - HMS Hampshire D06I

Port Side showing a reasonably close-up view of the 'sliced cone on cylinder'; as seen from off the port side when looking fwd and down.
hms_hampshire_10 CCD.jpg

County Class Destroyers - Batch Ii - HMS Norfolk D21

View from forecastle looking aft and showing both port and stbd 'sliced cone on cylinder' appendages.
county_class_dlg's_050 CCD.jpg
Little h
Little h

Royal Navy County Class Destroyers - Batch I & Batch II totalling 8 x ships

Batch I - comprised 4 x ships:- Devonshire D02; Hampshire D06; Kent D12; London D16
Batch II- comprised 4 x ships:- Fife D20; Glamorgan D19; Norfolk D21; Antrim D18

Little h wrote: Sun Dec 16, 2018 12:25 am
Attribution for all County Class attachments is to CCD County Class Destroyers website from whom authorisation to use the images was sought and received from the owner a member of the WNSF
Oops ... somewhat belatedly; let me advise his name as Mark Gentry (forum member 'Markgen' in the WNSF).

My apologies to Mark for neglecting (until now) to include a link to his website titled COUNTY CLASS DESTROYERS. I hope the members of this forum who take advantage of browsing the CCD enjoy it as much as I always do (I have it bookmarked) ... there are myriad photographs to be viewed.
Little h
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic

Return to “Ships/Boats Equipment”