Submarines of the Fleet

Submarines of the fleet
jbryce1437

Submarines of the Fleet

Unread post by jbryce1437 »

Dating back to 1900 the submarine service of the Royal Navy started with the order for five submarines to be built, the first of which was Holland 1.
When the First World War started the service had 62 submarines and 14 Victoria Crosses were awarded to members of the service during that war.
When the Second World War started the service comprised of 60 submarines and this was greatly increased as the war progressed. In the course of the war some 5,300 British submariners were lost and the location of many of the submarines lost is still not known.
As this submarine section develops it is hoped to include more about the history of the service and information on the various classes of submarine that served so well.
Some years ago I started to compile a Ship Classification list for Royal Navy ships. I have updated it today to take into account more recent changes and I attach the Submarine section as a PDF for reference:
Submarine Classifications.pdf

The submarine depot ship HMS Hazard and her Holland submarines
Hazard and Hollands.jpg
HMS Safari and S Class submarine in World War 2
hms safari,built by cammell, laird & co,birkenhead,completed 1431942..jpg
The nuclear powered submarine HMS Vanguard
hmsm vanguard 1.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
HMS Raleigh 1963 , HMS Collingwood 1963 & 67 , HMS Ark Royal 1964-7, HMS Undaunted 1968-71, HMS Victory (Fleet Maintenance Group) 1971-72, HMS Exmouth 1972-74
JEM, EM, OEM, LOEM, POOEL
Then 28 years in the Fire Brigade
Retired since 2002
Pelican

Re: Submarines of the Fleet

Unread post by Pelican »

REPORT on the grounding of ASTUTE on 22nd October 2010:
The attached may be of interest - old due only recently declassified.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
HMS Pelican 1938 - 1958 GGCV L86 U86 F86 What I Have I Hold ~ A wonderful bird is the Pelican its beak can hold more than its belly can.
ivorthediver

Unread post by ivorthediver »

First one of those" S I's " I've ever seen , and appears both through and demanding in its intent and recommendations .

I feel for the crew concerned and the worrying missing information which should have been available to the" S I" looking into both the cause and the avoidance of repetition mentioned in the report .

Accidents are exactly that... BUT there seems to be a fair proportion of lax ability .

Yes I hold my hand up and admit that having never served in the RN I have only a civilian point of view which detracts from the actual situation and for that I apologise , however in a multi billion nuclear weapon I would have thought it the wrong place for assumptions and second guessing where a submarine is concerned , which whilst not all down to human nature and recognition for better training / hardware was identified I feel that in something which appears basic to an outsider , by comparison to" action Stations" a tad worrying , but no doubt I will be picked up and corrected on this point of view .
"What Ever Floats your Boat"
Pelican

Unread post by Pelican »

Trident

https://ukdefencejournal.org.uk/lockhee ... H5ICVlefU0

Komrade C will be pleased. :D
HMS Pelican 1938 - 1958 GGCV L86 U86 F86 What I Have I Hold ~ A wonderful bird is the Pelican its beak can hold more than its belly can.
Pelican

Unread post by Pelican »

Pelican wrote: Tue Feb 05, 2019 5:40 pm Trident

https://ukdefencejournal.org.uk/lockhee ... H5ICVlefU0

Komrade C will be pleased. :D
And just to rub it in - https://ukdefencejournal.org.uk/uk-pays ... ueENr0Af7A
Pelican

Unread post by Pelican »

INFO REQUESTED

Can anyone please state the Class of these subs. or suggest the year or years period when photo was taken?
Culverin

Unread post by Culverin »

It shows all C class boats C1 - C8 launched between July 1906 and Feb 1907 so the time will be limited from mid 1907 until early 1908.
38 C class were built up to 1910 and their pendant numbers ran from I.31 - I.68 so I.34 will be C4. All 8 can be identified using this scheme.
Pelican

Unread post by Pelican »

Pelican wrote: Sun Jun 21, 2020 6:44 pm INFO REQUESTED

Can anyone please state the Class of these subs. or suggest the year or years period when photo was taken?
VMT Culverin.
Pelican

Unread post by Pelican »

An amazing image of submarines in Portsmouth Harbour - on the Gosport side.

This postcard, published by Kingsway, was sent by John to his brother in Brighton in 1915.
HMS Victory in the distant background (left), ten years or so before she moved into dry dock.
jbryce1437

Unread post by jbryce1437 »

Pelican wrote: Thu Jan 25, 2024 10:53 pm An amazing image of submarines in Portsmouth Harbour - on the Gosport side.

This postcard, published by Kingsway, was sent by John to his brother in Brighton in 1915.
HMS Victory in the distant background (left), ten years or so before she moved into dry dock.
I presume that these are mostly E Class submarines at Dolphin

Jim
HMS Raleigh 1963 , HMS Collingwood 1963 & 67 , HMS Ark Royal 1964-7, HMS Undaunted 1968-71, HMS Victory (Fleet Maintenance Group) 1971-72, HMS Exmouth 1972-74
JEM, EM, OEM, LOEM, POOEL
Then 28 years in the Fire Brigade
Retired since 2002
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic

Return to “RN Submarines”