Radio Controlled Scale models

Building a model? Need help with it? Show the work in progress or the completed project, etc.
ivorthediver

Radio Controlled Scale models

Unread post by ivorthediver »

Well where to start :o

Over the years I have built many Radio scale model boats of varying size and scale , from Aircraft carriers to Tugs, Fast mine layers , Frigates , Corvette's,
all of which were scratch built other than the hull which was acquired as near to suited purpose and then converted to meet the requirement of that vessel .

My original reason for joining the Former Forum was that the more I discovered about vessels and their specific fittings , I needed to have an understanding of their purpose and appearance before I could build them , which was greatly helped by ex naval personnel explaining their need and design , and often pictures or a source I could pursue to obtain the detail I needed .......all of which was priceless , and the more I enquired the more I found , so as I say priceless .

Let me get to grips with this Forum and I will upload pictures of these vessels to illustrate the results .
"What Ever Floats your Boat"
ivorthediver

Re: Radio Controlled Scale models

Well not found my feet yet , but as an appetiser here is a link formed last year on "Lady Karen" a Damon type 2810 Tug I built .......let me know what you think .
Go to youtube and enter[ Damon 2810 model tug 1/25 scale ]

This was taken last year and she has had a few refinements applied since then , but give you a feel for her
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
ivorthediver

Damon 1/25 scale tug ....ongoing

This model is the current one and although my current favourite has been the Bain of my life by both lack of detail information to construct accurately and issues with the construction / development of the drive train .

The original intention was to copy the tug type which was commissioned to tow the new aircraft carrier built by Damon [a type ART 80-32 ] but the specifics to copy were not only beyond my pocket , and for which I could not obtain accurate construction information on at the time [2016] .

So my offering was of the modified type ASD 2810 :-

She has two 12v Steerable Kort Drive 5 blade bronze 58mm props , driven through custom made aluminium 62mm Kort nozzles housed on 5mm shafts .

The motors are 600 12 pole 12v motors driven through 5mm shafts .

She has a 32mm front Bow thruster run on a 7.5v motor coupled via a separate speed controller feed to the receiver

The Transmitter is a Spectrum 6 channel set up and a AR6600-6 Receiver which runs the drive train , a eight sound modulator , lights and voltage monitors so keep an eye on duration of duty

She is fed by two 12volt 14 amp hr sealed lead acid batteries , to ensure that she is on station as recovery Tug for the club members who break down whilst out on the lake . :o
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
ivorthediver

I know that on the old forum there were many other modellers , so forgive me if i'm telling you how to suck eggs , but ALL models which work are never finished due to use ,accidental damage, or refits ! such is the life of a modeller who wishes to enjoy and use his creation like me :oops:

The most recent major strip down was not of my making [ forgive the pun ] as the main motors Korts nozzles which were made of a resin material became increasingly difficult to use .

Initially I thought that the underslung nozzles were being damaged as it came into the shallows , and in fairness to the manufacturer when I mentioned it to them they replaced the direction control shafts which were slightly distorted distorted , and having stripped them out and replaced them the problem persisted .

During a pre float inspection a few weeks ago I looked at these cylindrical drive ducts and they didn't look right , so ran the callipers over them and observed that they were starting to become oval . :o

At this point I had recently changed the four bladed Korts props for five blade and phoned them up to see if they manufactured them in a metal cast material and they did so swallowed the pill and ordered new ones .

Sounds easy you might think but to do this I had to open up the decking and cut access to the direction shafts [ these perform the same task as a rudder but alter the flow path of the prop wash around the prop and redirect it to where pointed by the servo .....still with me :o ....good

If you have ever fitted Kort drive systems you will realise how critical alignment is or the props bang seven types of hell out of the surrounding cone even before you alter direction .

So the entire kort system had to be stripped out and replaced and everything had to be realigned and the outer edges of the prop packed out with spacers whilst the glues set , and then gently remove the high points on the inside face of the Korts nozzles [ bearing in mind the props rotate over all the inner surface as you change direction with the nozzle [ think again of the analogy of the rudder which wraps all around the rotating prop whilst changing direction :shock:

Well with a lot of patients and time I managed it and it now works perfectly and needless to say has loads more thrust and pulling power whilst towing distressed models back to the lakeside .

Again to those new to this action , I copied the boom defence barrier principle and tow a floating line out to the model in distress wrap it around the vessel..... and a member on the shore who has a line/ reel which is attached to the end off the floating boom reels it back in thereby bringing the model ashore .......without damage to the model being recovered :D

I attach a rough sketch to illustrate to Kort Nozzle system to clarify the issue :oops:
jbryce1437

Unread post by jbryce1437 »

Great work Ivor and I admire your patience in trying to get the model perfect. You must be nearly there now ;)

Jim
HMS Raleigh 1963 , HMS Collingwood 1963 & 67 , HMS Ark Royal 1964-7, HMS Undaunted 1968-71, HMS Victory (Fleet Maintenance Group) 1971-72, HMS Exmouth 1972-74
JEM, EM, OEM, LOEM, POOEL
Then 28 years in the Fire Brigade
Retired since 2002
ivorthediver

Well I would like to think so Jim , but who would have thought I would need to gut the vessel to correct a system failure like that .

As I have said before modelling can be likened to one continuous upgrade either by usage or design upgrade or failure :oops:

Still better than Radio controlled aircraft / drones as their is a finality of thought once it creams the deck ........there again if your model is involved in a collision or just sinks .....aircraft can be collected and taken home in" kit form" for a rebuild , if my models sink's in inky water five plus metres deep you'll never even find them again as history has shown :oops:

I am fortunate in that I get as much fun out of building as navigating , the only limiting factor is COST V Funds and I love being able to think a problem through and create a solution ....like most modellers have to ..... and avoiding the Waters edge authorities who know it all, done it better, and had you asked them.... shown you how to do it cheaper . :x
ivorthediver

As an aside issue the earlier models I have were powered by Lipo 11.3v batteries which until recently had been the mainstay of the Type 15 Fast Frigate and the Fast Minelayer previously mentioned ,however when I made a check of them today I noticed that they appear to have swollen slightly which given the past history was surprising .

On checking I found them to be charged and balanced so no idea why this should have occurred , but at the horrific price that they attract [ £85.00] I am louth to replace them until I have to , and they are currently in a flame proof charging bag inside a metal case as I do not wish to suffer from an unexpected fire in my workshop :shock:
DaveH

Unread post by DaveH »

Sounds like you have been cooking them Ivor , I found over the years that this can happen as hppened with my inhouse Intruder Alarm Battery , fitted and forgotten , then one day an awful pong from under the stairs revealed and very warm and swollen battery . Which reminds me I must do an inspection of mine again . My supplier recommended changing every three years , like the NAAFI Teabag , whether it needs it or not .

Like us they only go on so long being recharged , and recharged , and recharged .

DaveH
ivorthediver

Well anything is possible Dave , but I always kept a strict eye on them and fitted low charge alarm devices on them to avoid fires as I was advised that that was the quickest way to have a fire using them .

I regally checked the balance ratio on the designated charger and often re balanced the cells .

And I have never dropped them or caused damage to them , so what have i missed ?

I only ever used them in my fast war canoes , as said , and carry two Lipo condition monitors specifically to check them ........so as I say not sure what may have caused this very slight swelling of the outer shrink wrap covering :? if there is a next time I will get them in hard case format
ivorthediver

Still having issues with the grub screws loosening on the Kort Direction shafts , which even with bending the allen keys tight on them still has little effect , and can only think it might be the vibration of the motors which whilst not normally apparent you occasionally here a rumble when it passes in deep water .

If I could get metal tiller arms for the tops I would change them but the nylon / resin ones won't take kindly to solder , and have tried various glues to retard the movement

If I had a right angled adaptor that would fit in the steerage flat I would drill and pin them in place but sadly not ....any bright ideas gang :idea:
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic

Return to “Model Makers Section”