RN Aircraft Carriers: Illustrious Class

Add your posts about Royal Navy ships in this section
ivorthediver

RN Aircraft Carriers: Illustrious Class

Unread post by ivorthediver »

This is a topic of which many contributors will submit both opinions and topics on .

Here again most of my knowledge was based around HMS Victorious RC models , but in order to do these relied heavily on comments from former Forum members and books obtained over the years , but being a creation of WW2 design , then refined in post war refits became the originator of the angled deck carrier .
"What Ever Floats your Boat"
limeybiker

Re: RN Aircraft Carriers: Illustrious Class

Unread post by limeybiker »

HMS Victorious R38, first carrier with a full angled deck, mirror landing sights 984, see over the horizon radar and steam catapults.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
  • Up Spirits
    It’s Tot Time
    somewhere in the World
Yours Aye
Barry and Sharon Lockyer
Sunny Ocala, FL 34476 USA
http://www.barrylockyer.com/[/b]
limeybiker

Victorious in the Pacific RASing from USS Cimmaron A022, when she was unofficially known as the USS Robin, to fool the Japanese.

Photograph courtesy of John H. Herbert Lt. RNR, pilot, serving onboard at the time, John unfortunately passed away earlier this year aged 95.

John receiving his Arctic Star at Pacific Fleet HQ San Diego
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
  • Up Spirits
    It’s Tot Time
    somewhere in the World
Yours Aye
Barry and Sharon Lockyer
jbryce1437

Unread post by jbryce1437 »

The Illustrious Class comprised four aircraft carriers, Illustrious, Formidable, Victorious and Indomitable, which were all laid down in 1937. The first two were commissioned in 1940 and the last two in 1941. The four served during world war II and, with the exception of Victorious, were scrapped in the 1950's. HMS Victorious was taken in hand by Portsmouth Dockyard for modernisation and reconstruction between 1950 and 1958 and she was fitted with Type 984 radar. She was about to emerge from another refit in November 1967 when a fire broke out in the Chief Petty Officers mess and one crew member was killed. It was decided not to carry out any repairs and she was broken up at Faslane in 1969.

Illustrious
illustrious christmas card 1949.jpg

Formidable
formidable-1946.jpg

Victorious
victorious1961.jpg

Indomitable
hms indomitable.jpg
HMS Raleigh 1963 , HMS Collingwood 1963 & 67 , HMS Ark Royal 1964-7, HMS Undaunted 1968-71, HMS Victory (Fleet Maintenance Group) 1971-72, HMS Exmouth 1972-74
JEM, EM, OEM, LOEM, POOEL
Then 28 years in the Fire Brigade
Retired since 2002
ivorthediver

Thanks lads , and here is a photo of that sad day with two aircraft flying a salute to her being towed away to be recycled
jbryce1437

ivorthediver wrote: Tue Aug 21, 2018 4:13 pm Thanks lads , and here is a photo of that sad day with two aircraft flying a salute to her being towed away to be recycled
I don't think this is the Vic on the way to the scrapyard Ivor, she has aircraft (possibly Swordfish) on deck and is sporting a camouflage scheme.

|Jim
HMS Raleigh 1963 , HMS Collingwood 1963 & 67 , HMS Ark Royal 1964-7, HMS Undaunted 1968-71, HMS Victory (Fleet Maintenance Group) 1971-72, HMS Exmouth 1972-74
Retired since 2002
ivorthediver

When I first viewed it many moons ago posted by a member of the old Forum , I was lead to believe the string bags and the Seafury were sent out to record the withdrawal and breaking up , must admit I never noticed the Aircraft on the deck...... so you may well be correct , so forgive my ignorance on this occasion of misrepresentation..... albeit in innocence
jbryce1437

ivorthediver wrote: Tue Aug 21, 2018 7:21 pm When I first viewed it many moons ago posted by a member of the old Forum , I was lead to believe the string bags and the Seafury were sent out to record the withdrawal and breaking up , must admit I never noticed the Aircraft on the deck...... so you may well be correct , so forgive my ignorance on this occasion of misrepresentation..... albeit in innocence
No problem Ivor, on looking at it again, the funnel isn't right for 1969.

Jim
Retired since 2002
ivorthediver

Yes now I look at it more closely the flyco position is missing and the Radar [ which had it been correct might have been removed already] is wrong , that will teach me not to take it on faith , so well spotted Jim
limeybiker

ivorthediver wrote: Tue Aug 21, 2018 4:13 pm Thanks lads , and here is a photo of that sad day with two aircraft flying a salute to her being towed away to be recycled
I think you mean this one Ivor.
  • Up Spirits
    It’s Tot Time
    somewhere in the World
Yours Aye
Barry and Sharon Lockyer
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic

Return to “Royal Navy”