RN Aircraft Carriers: Illustrious Class

Add your posts about Royal Navy ships in this section
Brian James

Re: RN Aircraft Carriers: Illustrious Class

Unread post by Brian James »

Cutaway schematic of Modified Illustrious Class Carrier HMS Indomitable.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Pelican

Unread post by Pelican »

Full scale forensic dig now in progress in Gibraltar in search for missing sailor Simon Parkes.

Simon went missing in Dec 1986 while serving on HMS Illustrious. Hampshire Police are leading the operation, assisted by the
R G Police - See - https://twitter.com/GBCNewsroom/status/ ... 9719035904
Also see - https://www.chronicle.gi/new-lead-in-ca ... on-parkes/
HMS Pelican 1938 - 1958 GGCV L86 U86 F86 What I Have I Hold ~ A wonderful bird is the Pelican its beak can hold more than its belly can.
Brian James

Battle Class Destroyer HMS St James pictured conducting a RAS with HMS Victorious in 1950.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Brian James

Director of Naval Construction Department, Admiralty blueprint for Carrier HMS Illustrious dated November 1936.
Brian James

Original date stamped on December 10th 1940, Harland & Wolff Shipbuilding & Engineering Co, Belfast blueprint for Illustrious Class Carrier HMS Formidable.
Brian James

HMS Victorious, June 1945 BPF colour schematic.
Pelican

Unread post by Pelican »

ILLUSTRIOUS EMERGENCY REPAIRS IN SYDNEY FEB 45

HMS Illustrious is seen here after arriving in Sydney, Australia on February 9, 1945. She had sailed from Trincomalee with the newly formed British Pacific Fleet.
On February 10th, she went into the officially unfinished Captain Cook Graving Dock for urgent repairs as seen in these pictures.
She had a long-running problem with a vibrating center shaft and during a passing raid on the occupied Dutch East Indies, received damage from friendly fire.
The center shaft was removed, reducing her maximum speed to 24 knots, and the other damage was patched up. She sailed with the BPF for Manaus on February 24, 1945.
HMS Pelican 1938 - 1958 GGCV L86 U86 F86 What I Have I Hold ~ A wonderful bird is the Pelican its beak can hold more than its belly can.
Pelican

Unread post by Pelican »

A stern view of HMS Victorious (R38) at Portsmouth on August 25, 1965, prior to going into dry dock for a refit, at the end of her fourth commission (post modernization).
Pelican

Unread post by Pelican »

Pelican wrote: Mon Sep 18, 2023 3:56 pm A stern view of HMS Victorious (R38) at Portsmouth on August 25, 1965, prior to going into dry dock for a refit, at the end of her fourth commission (post modernization).
Thanks Jim ;)
Pelican

Unread post by Pelican »

A picture of HMS Victorious (R38) flying a paying-off pennant.

The caption states 1960s but it is believed that this is Victorious paying off at Singapore (Sembawang) in July 1964.
A commando carrier is already alongside, which should be the Bulwark if that date is correct.
A new crew for Victorious was flown out from the UK and she became the first major RN warship to commission outside of the UK.
Ranged on the bow are 6 Blackburn Buccaneer Strike Aircraft from 801 Squadron, the 7 Westland Wessex HAS.3 Helicopters of 814 Squadron, 10 de Havilland Sea Vixens of 893 Squadron, 1 Fairey Gannet COD4, then 3 Fairey Gannet AEW.3 of 849 Squadron A flight.
Photo: Maritime Quest
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic

Return to “Royal Navy”