Bunting's Talk

Post anything relating to Communications on this thread
Pelican

Bunting's Talk

Unread post by Pelican »

"Two interesting photos for the Buntings taken on HMS Duncan (star of the current Channel 5 series 'Warship') during the filming of the series earlier this year, showing an interesting signal projector. The photos show both sides of the SP but there doesn't seem to be a handle for keying? I'm thinking this is one of the recent 15" lamps that replaced the 10s and 20s, but how does it work? Sleek design, bit like the ship herself!
Photos show HMS Duncan exchanging flashing light messages with the German auxilliary FGS Frankfurt Am Main (A1412) during sunrise in the Aegean Sea while sailing in company with other SNMG2 units.
[NATO photos by GBRN LPhot Paul Hall]"
Also no sighting/alignment facils? But there again I am an ex-sparker.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
HMS Pelican 1938 - 1958 GGCV L86 U86 F86 What I Have I Hold ~ A wonderful bird is the Pelican its beak can hold more than its belly can.
DaveH

Re: Bunting's Talk

Unread post by DaveH »

Last time I saw a 10" was on the Cornwall returning home from deployment . It looked ready for the knackers yard [lamp , and some of the ship]. It was rusted and the key was so sloppy any good bunting would have cried . I tried a few words but gave up , the spring was knackered . [And even tho' a Sparker I was pretty adept on the Aldiis and 10"]

I asked to PO on Deck "Who does maintenance and upkeep" - His reply was "That is the Dockyard's job" . So she came into home port "chatty, rusty and dirty" something our time Navy's Jimmy would have taken as a personal slur .

Today's Navy has moved on but sometimes I wonder ..... where did pride of Ship go ???
Little h

Unread post by Little h »

Pelican wrote: Fri Dec 07, 2018 5:55 pm "Two interesting photos for the Buntings taken on HMS Duncan (star of the current Channel 5 series 'Warship') during the filming of the series earlier this year, showing an interesting signal projector. The photos show both sides of the SP but there doesn't seem to be a handle for keying? I'm thinking this is one of the recent 15" lamps that replaced the 10s and 20s, but how does it work? Sleek design, bit like the ship herself!
Photos show HMS Duncan exchanging flashing light messages with the German auxilliary FGS Frankfurt Am Main (A1412) during sunrise in the Aegean Sea while sailing in company with other SNMG2 units.
[NATO photos by GBRN LPhot Paul Hall]"
Also no sighting/alignment facils? But there again I am an ex-sparker.
I have enhanced the 1st photo and highlighted a feature within the red hex outline - also note that the operator's right hand seems to be formed into a sparkers keying fist. What thinks you all?

D2 (3).jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Little h
Little h

On the other hand (side), in front of the cable tie(?), there is a white 'flapper' like arrangement on a spindle that appears to be adjacent to/on the outer side of the louvre shutters - (indicated by the arrows in red).

This visual signalling projector does not appear to be same as those fitted on the QEC carriers.

D1 (2).jpg
Little h
jbryce1437

Unread post by jbryce1437 »

All done by smoke and mirrors (watch his right hand)

Jim
HMS Raleigh 1963 , HMS Collingwood 1963 & 67 , HMS Ark Royal 1964-7, HMS Undaunted 1968-71, HMS Victory (Fleet Maintenance Group) 1971-72, HMS Exmouth 1972-74
JEM, EM, OEM, LOEM, POOEL
Then 28 years in the Fire Brigade
Retired since 2002
Pelican

Unread post by Pelican »

This one looks similar if not the same - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ve3J7b4lpN0 - be ready to click pause as its only 41 secs duration.
Thank you for your trouble Harry.
The future, interesting? https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BsYSpaILnJk
Nothing to do with the question in hand but worth adding to the thread for future reference.
VISUAL SIGNALLING in the RCN LIGHT SIGNALLING DIRECTIONAL AND NON-DIRECTIONAL LIGHT SIGNALLING
http://www.jproc.ca/rrp/rrp2/visual_lights.html
HMS Pelican 1938 - 1958 GGCV L86 U86 F86 What I Have I Hold ~ A wonderful bird is the Pelican its beak can hold more than its belly can.
Little h

Pelican wrote: Fri Dec 07, 2018 9:05 pm
Oi that man - pay attention at the back - I'm not doing this for my own benefit you know - take dog watch backward biffers :lol:
Flashing Light to Text Converter (FLTC) trials - Communications Forum!!!
Little h
Pelican

Unread post by Pelican »

Little h wrote: Fri Dec 07, 2018 9:30 pm
Pelican wrote: Fri Dec 07, 2018 9:05 pm
Oi that man - pay attention at the back - I'm not doing this for my own benefit you know - take dog watch backward biffers :lol:
Flashing Light to Text Converter (FLTC) trials - Communications Forum!!!
Wilco but on Monday as us old uns like our weekends orf. Apols missed a page or three Harry. :oops:
P.S.
Some feedback from the original source of the photos:
"Yes, that white lever is what's used to actuate the shutters. It's the 'handle' used to operate the SP. Strange how it's on the left side - not handy for (mostly) right-handed operators!"
"Its on the front, you can just make it out on the top photo, small white bracket, on the left side though! I had a go at a Yankee ships, didnt like it, very hard to get use to."
"Looks like those 'new' style SPs can have the operating paddle/lever on either side. On the photo of the lamp on Duncan, it's on the left. On the one in the YouTube video, it's on the right. The guy's hand action in the red hex is a bit of a red herring as there's no switch there. He's just steadying the lamp frame."
Little h

Pelican wrote: Fri Dec 07, 2018 9:49 pm
Wilco but on Monday as us old uns like our weekends orf.
OK backward biffers suspended subject to continued improvement :)
Pelican wrote: Fri Dec 07, 2018 9:49 pm Some feedback from the original source of the photos:
Pelican wrote: Fri Dec 07, 2018 9:49 pm "Yes, that white lever is what's used to actuate the shutters. It's the 'handle' used to operate the SP. Strange how it's on the left side - not handy for (mostly) right-handed operators!"
"Its on the front, you can just make it out on the top photo, small white bracket, on the left side though!
"Looks like those 'new' style SPs can have the operating paddle/lever on either side. On the photo of the lamp on Duncan, it's on the left. On the one in the YouTube video, it's on the right.
What should be realised is that the two visual signalling lamps are not exactly the same in that:-
- the Daring example seems to be a prototype or early production version ... it has a plate on its left above the pivot point - it's length gives the appearance of being foreshorted due to the angle when compared to the Duncan's version.
- the Duncan example has the white ring insert whilst the Daring 'ring insert' appears to in place but painted the same colour as the rest of the lamp outer body - this white ring insert seems to provide simply adaptability for either right or left handed operators.
Pelican wrote: Fri Dec 07, 2018 9:49 pm I had a go at a Yankee ships, didnt like it, very hard to get use to."
"Looks like those 'new' style SPs can have the operating paddle/lever on either side. On the photo of the lamp on Duncan, it's on the left. On the one in the YouTube video, it's on the right.
All the visual signalling lamps I have ever seen on US Navy ships have had operating paddles/levers on both sides as a permanent fixture ..... and yes operating them was different even a tad awkward.
Pelican wrote: Fri Dec 07, 2018 9:49 pm The guy's hand action in the red hex is a bit of a red herring as there's no switch there. He's just steadying the lamp frame."
Wot's all this then ... nothing like a red herring ... it was purely a suggestion - at worst a guess: In any case the two Duncan photographs plus the Daring video offer three different hand steadying positions that I can see.

Still wondering why - (if the answer was already known by the source) - the query was posed alongside the very interesting photos? Ah well an good exchange of ideas resulted.
Little h
Pelican

Unread post by Pelican »

And a happy New Year.
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic

Return to “Communications”