RN Battleships: Revenge Class

Add your posts about Royal Navy ships in this section
Pelican

Re: RN Battleships: Revenge Class

Unread post by Pelican »

PRINCESS ROYAL UNVEILS WW2 MEMORIAL IN PORTSMOUTH
09 October 2019
The Princess Royal led 80th anniversary tributes to hundreds of sailors killed in the greatest tragedy to rock the Navy – and Portsmouth – in the first months of World War 2.

The results were horrific. Three messes – stokers’ boys’ and Royal Marines’ – were vapourised in an instant. Explosive cordite charges ignited sending jets of flame roaring through the battleship’s passageways. And the list caused by the holes blasted in the hull rapidly worsened as water poured through open portholes.
Royal Oak sank in 13 minutes, taking with her 834 souls, including more than 100 boys aged under 18 – a tragedy in itself and one which would mostly lead to the end in sending boys to sea on active service.

Full article and photos at - https://www.royalnavy.mod.uk/news-and-l ... k-memorial

A bit of research I did years ago is attached.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
HMS Pelican 1938 - 1958 GGCV L86 U86 F86 What I Have I Hold ~ A wonderful bird is the Pelican its beak can hold more than its belly can.
designeraccd

Unread post by designeraccd »

Certainly should have been preventable, in theory with better defenses at Scapa........... :(

Note that the photo with VICTORY behind is a much "earlier" ROYAL OAK: no huge bulges! The bulges, mostly for torpedo protection, are very visible in the other 3 pics. DFO
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Pelican

Unread post by Pelican »

Navy News
It is 80 years to the day that the first battleship of WW2 was lost when HMS Royal Oak was torpedoed at anchor in Scapa Flow.
HMS Bangor is in Orkney to take part of anniversary commemorations; one poppy for each sailor lost is being scattered in the huge natural harbour after 1,259 wooden poppies (for everyone aboard on the fateful night) were placed in the memorial garden by relatives of the ship’s company (the last crew member to survive the tragedy died in 2016).
We will have a full report on commemorations in our November edition.
HMS Pelican 1938 - 1958 GGCV L86 U86 F86 What I Have I Hold ~ A wonderful bird is the Pelican its beak can hold more than its belly can.
jbryce1437

Unread post by jbryce1437 »

My uncle William (Billy) Tate was a Stoker aboard her when she was torpedoed, my old web page about Royal Oak, is still viewable and gives some background about the ship, his circumstances and those of his friends that he joined up with.
I have attached a crew list for HMS Royal Oak that I compiled some years ago.

RIP William Tate.
HMS Raleigh 1963 , HMS Collingwood 1963 & 67 , HMS Ark Royal 1964-7, HMS Undaunted 1968-71, HMS Victory (Fleet Maintenance Group) 1971-72, HMS Exmouth 1972-74
JEM, EM, OEM, LOEM, POOEL
Then 28 years in the Fire Brigade
Retired since 2002
Pelican

Unread post by Pelican »

jbryce1437 wrote: Mon Oct 14, 2019 5:58 pm My uncle William (Billy) Tate was a Stoker aboard her when she was torpedoed, my old web page about Royal Oak, is still viewable and gives some background about the ship, his circumstances and those of his friends that he joined up with.

RIP William Tate.
Jim the rootsweb link is not working?
"freepages.rootsweb.com - Connection Failed
Error code 20
The proxy failed to connect to the web server, due to TCP connection timeout."

Following refers - response on the Ganges Association Forum.
"Very interested in the article that you put on the forum about the Royal Oak and in particular the article by Jim Bryce as my wife is related
to Harry Howe (Now sadly CTB'd and buried in Western Australia)."

Would appreciate any assistance TU.
Possibly you could post the article as an attachment within a doc. or pdf?
Last edited by Pelican on Thu Oct 17, 2019 6:04 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Little h

Unread post by Little h »

Pelican wrote: Thu Oct 17, 2019 6:00 pm
jbryce1437 wrote: Mon Oct 14, 2019 5:58 pm My uncle William (Billy) Tate was a Stoker aboard her when she was torpedoed, my old web page about Royal Oak, is still viewable and gives some background about the ship, his circumstances and those of his friends that he joined up with.

RIP William Tate.
Error code 20

"Very interested in the article that you put on the forum about the Royal Oak and in particular the article by Jim Bryce as my wife is related

For info; the rootsweb link opens fine for me David
Little h
jbryce1437

Pelican wrote: Thu Oct 17, 2019 6:00 pm

RIP William Tate.
Error code 20

Possibly you could post the article as an attachment within a doc. or pdf?
Tried to open the link in several browsers and all work ok, so not sure where the problem lies. I think the rootsweb pages are now archived as I cannot log into the page now and amend it - I think Ancestry.com took over rootsweb.
Last try
http://freepages.rootsweb.com/~brycefam ... yaloak.htm

Jim
Ps I knew that Harry Howe had crossed the bar as I used to write to him and saw him on his last visit to the UK. His son was a submariner in the Royal Australian Navy and he may have been killed in a road traffic accident.
This photo is of Harry Howe, Billy Tate and Tommy Thompson shortly after they joined up.

harry howe billy tate and tommy thompson 1.jpg
HMS Raleigh 1963 , HMS Collingwood 1963 & 67 , HMS Ark Royal 1964-7, HMS Undaunted 1968-71, HMS Victory (Fleet Maintenance Group) 1971-72, HMS Exmouth 1972-74
Retired since 2002
Pelican

Unread post by Pelican »

VMT Jim, yes that link works, will pass on photo, for info extract from Bob Campbell:
"Harry's grandson resides in Australia as well and I would like to get a copy to him if I could, he served in the Australian Navy as a submariner for eighteen years and takes care of us when we visit that part of the world."
jbryce1437

Pelican wrote: Thu Oct 17, 2019 9:08 pm VMT Jim, yes that link works, will pass on photo, for info extract from Bob Campbell:
"Harry's grandson resides in Australia as well and I would like to get a copy to him if I could, he served in the Australian Navy as a submariner for eighteen years and takes care of us when we visit that part of the world."
That would be great if you would pass on the photo. It may have been Harry's son who was killed in a car crash and his grandson that went into the RAN.
After I joined Collingwood in 1963, I went to visit Harry and his family, who lived at Wilson Street in Stamshaw, not far from the entrance to Whale Island. Harry left the mob as a Chief Stoker and then worked on the tugs at Portsmouth - I think he was on Superman when I visited him. His son and family wanted to emigrate to Australia in the late 60's, so Harry and his wife followed them. They were heart broken when the accident happened.
Before he emigrated, if Harry was visiting Sunderland he always popped in to see my grandmother and he told me that he always felt guilty that Billy was killed in the war and that he survived. He considered it a great fluke that he was seconded from Royal Oak to relieve someone on the drifter and they were tied up alongside at Kirkwall pier when the ship went down.

Jim
Retired since 2002
Pelican

Unread post by Pelican »

jbryce1437 wrote: Thu Oct 17, 2019 9:36 pm
Pelican wrote: Thu Oct 17, 2019 9:08 pm VMT Jim, yes that link works, will pass on photo, for info extract from Bob Campbell:
That would be great if you would pass on the photo. It may have been Harry's son who was killed in a car crash and his grandson that went into the RAN.
After I joined Collingwood in 1963, I went to visit Harry and his family, who lived at Wilson Street in Stamshaw, not far from the entrance to Whale Island. Harry left the mob as a Chief Stoker and then worked on the tugs at Portsmouth - I think he was on Superman when I visited him. His son and family wanted to emigrate to Australia in the late 60's, so Harry and his wife followed them. They were heart broken when the accident happened.
Before he emigrated, if Harry was visiting Sunderland he always popped in to see my grandmother and he told me that he always felt guilty that Billy was killed in the war and that he survived. He considered it a great fluke that he was seconded from Royal Oak to relieve someone on the drifter and they were tied up alongside at Kirkwall pier when the ship went down.

Jim
Wilco Jim, willl adz via PM of any replies.
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic

Return to “Royal Navy”