RN Battleships: Revenge Class

Add your posts about Royal Navy ships in this section
Pelican

Re: RN Battleships: Revenge Class

Unread post by Pelican »

Haze Grey History
5tShdfponsuorede ·
All four surviving members of the British R-class operating together in the Indian Ocean, probably April 1942. To my eye, they are in this order from near to far: Royal Sovereign, Revenge, Ramillies, and Resolution. The fifth sister, Royal Oak, was famously sunk in Scapa Flow by U-47 at the beginning of the war.
-
The R-class constituted a substantial part of the emergency effort to bolster the Eastern Fleet after Japan began her Pacific offensives in late 1941. Ramillies and Royal Sovereign were already in theatre, the other two being dispatched to join from the Mediterranean (Resolution) and North Atlantic (Revenge). Originally, uniting the four had been discussed for the defense of Singapore; but by March 1942, that was no longer relevant. Instead, they were to be joined by Warspite, fresh from refit in the US, plus the carriers Formidable, Indomitable, and Hermes, two heavy cruisers (Cornwall and Dorsetshire), five light cruisers (Dragon, Caledon, Enterprise, Emerald, and the Dutch Hr.Ms Jacob van Heemskerck), fourteen destroyers (four of which were Australian, and one Dutch) and six submarines (four of which were Dutch).
-
Though powerful on paper, the fleet was forced into its first operation almost immediately after initial rendezvous by the Japanese Indian Ocean Raid in April 1942. The R-class, with reduced speed and limited in endurance to only three days at sea, became a secondary line of defense, or Force B, with the aged Hermes while the fast wing became Force A. As events unfolded, they would eventually withdraw all the way to Kilindini, in East Africa, in the face of Japanese aggression.
-
Caption is property of Evan Dwyer and may not be reposted without direct attribution to the page Haze Grey History or express written permission. Image is from the Public Domain and is shared under the provisions of Fair Use.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
HMS Pelican 1938 - 1958 GGCV L86 U86 F86 What I Have I Hold ~ A wonderful bird is the Pelican its beak can hold more than its belly can.
Brian James

Unread post by Brian James »

Elements of the Royal Navy's 1st Battle Squadron, including the Battleships Revenge, Resolution, and Royal Sovereign, underway c 1918...Following the Battle of Jutland, the 1st Battle Squadron was reorganized, with Colossus, Hercules, St. Vincent, Collingwood and Neptune all transferred to the 4th Battle Squadron. In January 1917, the squadron was constituted as follows:
HMS Marlborough
HMS Agincourt
HMS Benbow – joined July, 1916
HMS Canada
HMS Emperor of India – joined July, 1916
HMS Revenge
HMS Royal Oak – joined May, 1916
HMS Royal Sovereign – joined June, 1916...By 1918, Agincourt had been transferred to the 2nd Battle Squadron, and Resolution, Ramillies and Iron Duke had joined the squadron on completion.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Pelican

Unread post by Pelican »

HMS RESOLUTION

Does anyone know the purpose of the cable being scured around the stem?
HMS Pelican 1938 - 1958 GGCV L86 U86 F86 What I Have I Hold ~ A wonderful bird is the Pelican its beak can hold more than its belly can.
jbryce1437

Unread post by jbryce1437 »

Pelican wrote: Fri Jul 16, 2021 12:31 pm HMS RESOLUTION

I think the term is catting the anchor. Not a seaman rating but I am sure some knowledgeable seaman will explain. Not sure if it has been discussed on the forum before.

Jim
HMS Raleigh 1963 , HMS Collingwood 1963 & 67 , HMS Ark Royal 1964-7, HMS Undaunted 1968-71, HMS Victory (Fleet Maintenance Group) 1971-72, HMS Exmouth 1972-74
JEM, EM, OEM, LOEM, POOEL
Then 28 years in the Fire Brigade
Retired since 2002
Pelican

Unread post by Pelican »

jbryce1437 wrote: Fri Jul 16, 2021 6:31 pm

I think the term is catting the anchor. Not a seaman rating but I am sure some knowledgeable seaman will explain. Not sure if it has been discussed on the forum before.

Jim
Negative Jim, catting is when the anchor is retained separately so that the cable can be used without the anchor attached.
i.e. ANCHOR TERMINOLOGY:
CAT THE ANCHOR: THE ANCHOR IS SAID TO BE CATTED WHEN HUNG OFF, FROM WHAT USED TO BE CALED THE CLUMP CATHEAD. MORE MODERN VESSELS WILL BE FITTED WITH A PIPE LEAD SET BACK FROM THE LINE OF THE HAWS-PIPE AND USED FOR THE PURPOSE OF HANGING-OFF ANCHORS. FOUND IN PRACTICE WHEN MOORING TO BUOYS BY MEANS OF MOORING SHACKLES WITH THE CABLE.
Possibly the example shown in the photo is to help stop the ship swinging in adverse tide, current, wind etc.
Have we not any Dabtoe members?
jbryce1437

Would the starboard anchor not just be hanging separately on the starboard bow?
HMS Raleigh 1963 , HMS Collingwood 1963 & 67 , HMS Ark Royal 1964-7, HMS Undaunted 1968-71, HMS Victory (Fleet Maintenance Group) 1971-72, HMS Exmouth 1972-74
Retired since 2002
emason

Unread post by emason »

I can't answer your question, but here are two more examples.
Agamemnon.jpg
Dreadnought-1.jpg
Best wishes
Bill
jbryce1437

This is a close up of her sister, HMS Revenge. Like Bills two images above, if you zoom in to water level there is a swivel arrangement near the water line and the anchor chain then parts into two separate directions. Perhaps they have secured to an underwater chain which originally held a buoy in place, the buoy having been removed to prevent it rubbing against the ship?

Jim
revenge anchor.jpg
Retired since 2002
Towns

Unread post by Towns »

According to My trusty Admiralty Seamanship Manual she is moored with both Anchors down this is to reduce the sea room required for the ship to swing a mooring swivel is used to prevent both anchor cables from fouling each other .Simples
Townes
Pelican

Unread post by Pelican »

jbryce1437 wrote: Sun Jul 18, 2021 4:23 pm

This is a close up of her sister, HMS Revenge. Like Bills two images above, if you zoom in to water level there is a swivel arrangement near the water line and the anchor chain then parts into two separate directions. Perhaps they have secured to an underwater chain which originally held a buoy in place, the buoy having been removed to prevent it rubbing against the ship?

Jim

revenge anchor.jpg
BZ Jim, possibly to reduce the radius of which the ship can swing or move ahead or astern.
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic

Return to “Royal Navy”