RN Submarines: Dreadnought Class SSBN's 2028

Submarines of the fleet
Pelican

Re: RN Submarines: Dreadnought Class SSBN's 2028

Unread post by Pelican »

Dreadnought

Despite a previous delay due to a ‘quality shortfall’, all 12 missile tubes for nuclear submarine HMS Dreadnought have now been delivered.

An excerpt from a yearly progress report from the Ministry of Defence says:
“Key staged investments made during financial year 2020-21 have allowed good progress to continue with the whole boat design and the construction process. These commitments have enabled the construction of the first two boats of the Class (DREADNOUGHT and VALIANT) to progress, with further investment in the shipyard facilities, and to procure materials and equipment for the Class. Rolls-Royce Submarines continue to make good progress with the manufacture of the nuclear propulsion power plants, the Pressurised Water Reactor 3, for all four Dreadnought submarines. The procurement on long lead items and other early work for the remaining submarines in the Class, WARSPITE and KING GEORGE VI, continues in line with the overall programme schedule.

As previously reported, production and delivery of the Missile Tubes (MT) to form part of the Common Missile Compartment have been subject to quality shortfalls across the supply chain resulting in their delayed delivery. All 12 missile tubes for HMS DREADNOUGHT have now been delivered to the BAE Systems Barrow shipyard, a significant milestone in the delivery of the programme. We continue to support our United States (US) colleagues in working with their US and UK suppliers to ensure future missile tube deliveries continue in a timely manner to support the Dreadnought programme.”

You can read more of the progress report by clicking here or by clicking the link below.

See - https://ukdefencejournal.org.uk/all-mis ... eadnought/
HMS Pelican 1938 - 1958 GGCV L86 U86 F86 What I Have I Hold ~ A wonderful bird is the Pelican its beak can hold more than its belly can.
Pelican

Unread post by Pelican »

An update on the Dreadnought nuclear submarine programme

A newly published report from the Ministry of Defence outlines the progress made on the Dreadnought submarine programme in the last year.

The Dreadnought class will carry the UK’s Trident nuclear missiles, replacing the Vanguard class submarines.

See - https://ukdefencejournal.org.uk/an-upda ... mh_hzSYAGw
HMS Pelican 1938 - 1958 GGCV L86 U86 F86 What I Have I Hold ~ A wonderful bird is the Pelican its beak can hold more than its belly can.
Pelican

Unread post by Pelican »

Lockheed Martin has been contracted to undertake navigation subsystem development efforts for the American Columbia class and British Dreadnought class nuclear-armed submarines.

According to a contract notice:
See - https://ukdefencejournal.org.uk/lockhee ... 5DNP7quqK4
Pelican

Unread post by Pelican »

DREADNOUGHT

Progress on the Royal Navy’s Dreadnought class submarine programme
(Written Dec 2020 - very little new information in the public domain since).
See - https://www.navylookout.com/progress-on ... programme/

Lacks much useful detail but MoD announcement says £2Bn+ worth of contracts awarded for Delivery Phase 3 (DP3) of the Dreadnought submarine programme.
DP3 extends to HMS Dreadnought starting sea trials (c2030?)
See - https://www.gov.uk/government/news/more ... -programme
Pelican

Unread post by Pelican »

DREADNOUGHT PROJECT - FROM: Navy Lookout

Up to March 2021, the MOD has drawn £865 million of the Treasury-held £10Bn contingency funding for The Dreadnought submarine project.
(Much of this has been sensibly invested to avoid delays and additional expenses in future by supporting key suppliers)

See - https://www.theyworkforyou.com/wrans/?i ... t#g5343.q0
Pelican

Unread post by Pelican »

General Dynamics contracted for Dreadnought components

General Dynamics Mission Systems has announced that it has been awarded a contract to support the development, production and installation of fire control systems for the American Columbia and British Dreadnought classes of ballistic missile submarines.

The firm says that the contract as awarded has a value of $272.9 million over the next six years.

“This contract is the second for General Dynamics Mission Systems and is comprised of development, production and installation support for U.S. and U.K. submarine strategic weapons systems and subsystems. It will also support strategic weapons systems upgrades on currently fielded U.S. and U.K. strategic ballistic missile submarines. Work will primarily be performed in Pittsfield, Massachusetts, and is expected to be complete by July 2028.

General Dynamics Mission Systems’ Maritime and Strategic Systems line of business will deliver the fire control system for the U.S. Navy’s second and third Columbia-class submarine and the third U.K. Dreadnought class submarine as well as installation support and pre-deployment planning for both U.S. and U.K. sites.”

This contract also includes Columbia and Dreadnought design completion scope and continuation of design activities for the first planned refresh of the Columbia and Dreadnought fire control system.

Recently, contracts worth over £2 billion were awarded to begin the third major phase of the Dreadnought submarine nuclear deterrent programme. With the overall programme supporting around 30,000 jobs across the UK, from design through to build, Delivery Phase 3 (DP3) represents the most significant stage of the Dreadnought programme so far.

“In 2021 alone, it supported around 13,500 jobs in the Northwest of England and a further 16,300 over the rest of the UK, making a significant contribution to the Government’s levelling-up agenda. The investment is the latest financial commitment between the Ministry of Defence, BAE Systems and Rolls-Royce, and is the initial investment within a planned overall total of nearly £10 billion for the whole delivery phase.”

DP3 will see the first of four submarines, HMS Dreadnought, exit the Barrow-in-Furness shipyard to begin sea trials.

Defence Procurement Minister, Jeremy Quin was quoted as saying:
“The Dreadnought Class will be crucial to maintaining and safeguarding our national security, with the nuclear deterrent protecting every UK citizen from the most extreme threats, every minute of every day. Designed in the UK, built in the UK and supporting tens of thousands of jobs in the UK, the Dreadnought programme is a leading example of our commitment to defence manufacturing and will continue to boost British industry for decades to come.”

Managing Director, BAE Systems Submarines, Steve Timms said:
“We take great pride in designing and delivering one of the world’s most advanced engineering programmes and helping to protect national security. Today’s funding announcement allows us to maintain the Dreadnought programme’s progress and continue investing in the infrastructure and skills needed to deliver these highly complex submarines to the Royal Navy.”

President of Rolls-Royce Submarines, Steve Carlier said:
“Since 1969, Rolls-Royce has proudly provided the nuclear power and expertise that keeps the UK’s continuous nuclear deterrent at sea. This latest contract is a welcome sign of the UK’s ongoing commitment to the Submarines Enterprise and all the jobs around the UK that support it.”

First Sea Lord, Admiral Sir Ben Key said:
“We welcome the faith shown in the Royal Navy and our people that submarines remain the optimum means of securely deploying the independent nuclear deterrent. This investment will enable the transition from the Vanguard to Dreadnought-class submarines – an enormous challenge, and one we in the Royal Navy willingly accept. We have provided over fifty years of unbroken Continuous At Sea Deterrence and we will ensure that the Royal Navy provides the ultimate guarantee of security for the United Kingdom for the next five decades and beyond.”

Source UKDJ
Pelican

Unread post by Pelican »

Barrow: BAE Systems to recruit 1,200 workers for MoD submarine plans

More than 1,000 jobs are being offered at BAE Systems working on the Royal Navy's new generation of submarines.
BAE secured contracts in May worth over £2bn, alongside Rolls-Royce, to begin the third major phase of the nuclear deterrent programme, Dreadnought.
The company is looking to hire about 1,200 people, with the majority based in Barrow, with work also supporting the Astute and SSNR programmes.
A spokesman said some 600 people had already joined the business this year.
"We have a large number of exciting career opportunities available across a wide range of roles, from steel-working and pipe-fitting to computer-aided design and project management," he said.
Dreadnought submarines will carry the UK's nuclear weapons and replace the Vanguard class which is currently operating.
Work will also support Royal Navy vessels already in service, the Local Democracy Reporting Service said.
At the time of the funding announcement, the then-defence procurement minister Jeremy Quin said the Dreadnought class would be "crucial to maintaining and safeguarding our national security".
Steve Timms, managing director of BAE Systems Submarines, said the funding allowed it to maintain the Dreadnought programme's progress and "continue investing in the infrastructure and skills needed to deliver these highly complex submarines to the Royal Navy".
Each submarine has 26.4 miles (42km) of pipework and more than 20,000 cables, which stretches a total of 215 miles (346km).
In August, the latest Astute submarine to be built by BAE Systems was officially commissioned into the Royal Navy during a ceremony at the Cumbria site.

From - https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-cumbria-63227490
Pelican

Unread post by Pelican »

Progress on the Royal Navy’s Dreadnought class submarine programme

The first of Britain’s new nuclear deterrent submarines, HMS Dreadnought has now been under construction for over 4 years. Although still relatively early days and available information is inevitably limited, some further details of the boat’s design and progress on this vast project have emerged since our first article on the subject in 2017.

First steel was cut for HMS Dreadnought in October 2016 and work on the second boat, HMS Valiant, was begun in September 2019. The third boat will be named HMS Warspite and the final boat, HMS King George VI. The first 3 names echo famous battleships of the 20th Century, although Warspite and Valiant were also used for two of the RN’s first-generation SSNs. King George VI is new to the RN, being named after Queen Elizabeth’s father who served in the navy where he saw action at Jutland in WWI.

The programme is currently in Delivery Phase 2 (DP2), intended to run until March 2021 and had seen expenditure of around £7Bn on the concept, assessment, and early delivery phases up to April 2019. The next 5 years will be the most expensive phase of the programme but the NAO says so far the project “remains within budget and on track for the first of class, HMS Dreadnought, to enter service in the early 2030s”. Unfortunately this week it became clear that the disruption caused by the pandemic has delayed the project by around 5 months and DP2 has subsequently been extended until March 2022. Over such a long programme there may be opportunities for the lost time to be made up. BAE Systems has worked very hard to create a COVID-safe working environment, with 95% of employees now back at work in Barrow.

The Dreadnought class are designed from the outset to have a service life of 35-40 years. This is a significant increase over their predecessors which should reduce through-life support costs but has contributed to the high initial price tag of £31Bn for the four vessels. A further £10Bn contingency fund has sensibly been allocated and has already been drawn on to reduce long-term costs and future risk, primarily by supporting industry through advanced orders and investment.

Design indication
Continues at - https://www.navylookout.com/progress-on ... programme/
Pelican

Unread post by Pelican »

On 30th November the first pressure hull unit for HMS Dreadnought was transported to the Devonshire Dock Hall in Barrow for outfitting.

Via: @BAES_Maritime

For info see - https://www.navylookout.com/progress-on ... programme/
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Pelican

Unread post by Pelican »

Pelican wrote: Wed Dec 14, 2022 6:33 pm On 30th November the first pressure hull unit for HMS Dreadnought was transported to the Devonshire Dock Hall in Barrow for outfitting.

Via: @BAES_Maritime

For info see - https://www.navylookout.com/progress-on ... programme/
Another pressure hull section of HMS Dreadnought moved into the BAES_Maritime Devonshire Dock Hall in Barrow this week.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic

Return to “RN Submarines”