RN Submarines: Dreadnought Class SSBN's 2028

Submarines of the fleet
Little h

RN Submarines: Dreadnought Class SSBN's 2028

Unread post by Little h »

DtqJ7gfXgAAcKa7.jpg

First Sea Lord Verified account @AdmPhilipJones on Twitter

Last week’s announcement of HMS Edinburgh completed the series of 8 #T26 name announcements.

But the names of our future Dreadnought Class SSBNs are still to come

----------------------------------

NavyLookout @NavyLookout Save the Royal Navy on Twitter

NavyLookout Retweeted First Sea Lord

Warspite pretty certain.

+ Valiant and Sovereign ?

------------------------------

There are very many offerings (tweets) made on both the First Sea Lord's account and that of Save the Royal Navy / NavyLookout account ... some serious; others not so serious (borderline funny); and some highly dubious - so I have included links to both accounts in this post.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Little h
Little h

Re: RN Submarines: Dreadnought Class SSBN's 2028

Unread post by Little h »

First Sea Lord Verified account @AdmPhilipJones on Twitter

Dtu5n6SWoAE8Q8b.jpg

During his visit to Barrow, @GavinWilliamson has just announced that the second of our next
generation Dreadnought class ballistic missile nuclear submarines will be named HMS Valiant.

Via; NavyLookout (Save the Royal Navy) on Twitter

-------------------------------------------------------------------

Ah yes; the previous Valiant (S102) = 'old ships'
Dtu5qM1W0AA5RPi.jpg large.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Little h
Pelican

Unread post by Pelican »

Little h wrote: Thu Dec 06, 2018 1:18 pm First Sea Lord Verified account @AdmPhilipJones on Twitter

Dtu5n6SWoAE8Q8b.jpg

During his visit to Barrow, @GavinWilliamson has just announced that the second of our next
generation Dreadnought class ballistic missile nuclear submarines will be named HMS Valiant.

Via; NavyLookout (Save the Royal Navy) on Twitter

-------------------------------------------------------------------

Ah yes; the previous Valiant (S102) = 'old ships'

Dtu5qM1W0AA5RPi.jpg large.jpg
Also:
Defence Secretary Gavin Williamson has today announced a £400 million funding boost for the Dreadnought programme, as he opened a new training academy and revealed the name of the second Dreadnought submarine.

See - https://www.gov.uk/government/news/defe ... 4XsqHF-ywg

A more in depth article - https://www.savetheroyalnavy.org/the-dr ... xiUkRxFdTI
HMS Pelican 1938 - 1958 GGCV L86 U86 F86 What I Have I Hold ~ A wonderful bird is the Pelican its beak can hold more than its belly can.
Pelican

Unread post by Pelican »

BAE open £25m Submarine Skills Academy
The Academy for Skills and Knowledge, at BAE Systems’ Submarines site in Barrow-in-Furness, Cumbria, will be officially opened today by the Secretary of State for Defence, Gavin Williamson.
Continues at - https://ukdefencejournal.org.uk/bae-ope ... gU2XIFxiHw
HMS Pelican 1938 - 1958 GGCV L86 U86 F86 What I Have I Hold ~ A wonderful bird is the Pelican its beak can hold more than its belly can.
Pelican

Unread post by Pelican »

£330M 'EYES AND EARS' ORDERED FOR DREADNOUGHT SUBMARINES
02 March 2020
The underwater ‘eyes and ears’ of the nation’s next-generation nuclear submarines have been ordered in a £330m deal.

Defence firm Thales has been selected to provide all four Dreadnought-class boats – which will carry the UK’s nuclear deterrent submarines through the middle decades of this century – with their sonar and periscope system.

The outlay – part of a £31bn investment by Whitehall in the nation’s ultimate weapon – will see the latest Sonar 2076 suite (which encompasses bow, flank and towed array systems and is used by Trafalgar and Astute-class boats) fitted to HM Submarines Dreadnought, Valiant, Warspite and King George VI.

And an updated version of the digital periscopes – now renamed Combat System Masts – which are used by Astute class of hunter-killer submarines, have been ordered.

The Dreadnoughts will be equipped with second-generation optronic periscopes, combining electronic warfare technology with cameras.

The scopes will be fitted with many of the same features (night vision, the ability to record hi-resolution imagery) but inside a smaller, less obtrusive mast to make it even harder to locate the boat.

The same firm which has been providing the Submarine Service with all its periscopes since 1917 – Barr and Stroud, which is now part of the Thales group – will design and build the mast at its Govan site, assisted by experts in Crawley.

The sonar system will be developed at Thales’ sites in Templecombe, Somerset, and Stockport.

The double contract will create 170 jobs and secure 350 more across the UK.

Work on Dreadnought and Valiant is well under way with the former due to take over from the first Vanguard-class submarine to retire in the early 2030s.
Pelican

Unread post by Pelican »

United Kingdom and United States spend $56m on Trident missile tubes
General Dynamics has been awarded a $55.9m contract for 18 missile tubes for the US Navy and the Royal Navy.

According to a contract notice, work will be performed in Quonset Point, Rhode Island, and is for the manufacturing of 18 missile tubes in support of the US Columbia class fleet ballistic missile submarines and the UK Dreadnought class ballistic missile submarines. The notice is displayed below.

Continues with image at:
https://ukdefencejournal.org.uk/united- ... k7HMdeSQ6E
Pelican

Unread post by Pelican »

Progress on the Royal Navy’s Dreadnought class submarine programme

The first of Britain’s new nuclear deterrent submarines, HMS Dreadnought has now been under construction for over 4 years. Although still relatively early days and available information is inevitably limited, some further details of the boat’s design and progress on this vast project have emerged since our first article on the subject in 2017.

First steel was cut for HMS Dreadnought in October 2016 and work on the second boat, HMS Valiant, was begun in September 2019. The third boat will be named HMS Warspite and the final boat, HMS King George VI. The first 3 names echo famous battleships of the 20th Century, although Warspite and Valiant were also used for two of the RN’s first-generation SSNs. King George VI is new to the RN, being named after Queen Elizabeth’s father who served in the navy where he saw action at Jutland in WWI.

The programme is currently in Delivery Phase 2 (DP2), which will runs until March 2021 and had seen expenditure of around £7Bn on the concept, assessment, and early delivery phases up to April 2019. The next 5 years will be the most expensive phase of the programme but the NAO says so far the project “remains within budget and on track for the first of class, HMS Dreadnought, to enter service in the early 2030s”. Unfortunately this week it became clear that the disruption caused by the pandemic has delayed the project by around 5 months. Over such a long programme there may be opportunities for the lost time to be made up. BAE Systems has worked very hard to create a COVID-safe working environment, with 95% of employees now back at work in Barrow.

Continues at:
https://www.savetheroyalnavy.org/progre ... AJOXvCyr3w
Pelican

Unread post by Pelican »

Dreadnought submarine ‘on track’ for first delivery early 2030s
February 2, 2021
The Defence Secretary has confirmed that first of class nuclear missile submarine HMS Dreadnought is “on track” for delivery in the early 2030s.

Simon Clarke, MP for Middlesbrough South and East Cleveland, asked:
“What progress is being made on the development of the Dreadnought class nuclear submarine; and when he plans for the first of that class to enter service.”

Ben Wallace, Secretary of State for Defence, responded:
“The 2020 annual update to Parliament on the United Kingdom’s future nuclear deterrent provides progress details on the Dreadnought submarine programme. The programme, underpinned by around 30,000 defence nuclear enterprise jobs across the United Kingdom, remains on track to deliver the first of class in the early 2030s. The programme will sustain thousands of jobs across the United Kingdom, including in Scotland.”

Continues with image/details at:
https://ukdefencejournal.org.uk/dreadno ... rly-2030s/
Pelican

Unread post by Pelican »

The Royal Navy’s Dreadnought Submarine is a Real Doomsday Machine

Construction on the Dreadnought-class is still underway, so many of the class’ final characteristics are not yet known, but BAE Systems, the Dreadnought-class builder, is building a fleet of four total submarines, and claims that the submarines will be the first submarines built with mixed-gender crews.

See:
https://nationalinterest.org/blog/buzz/ ... ine-180389
Pelican

Unread post by Pelican »

DREADNOUGHT-CLASS SUBMARINES TO GET 'FLY-BY-WIRE' TECHNOLOGY
01 April 2021
‘Fly-by-wire’ technology in aircraft will be introduced to the Navy’s next-generation submarines.

The same thinking behind digital cockpits in 21st Century aircraft and helicopters will control key aspects of the Dreadnought class of submarines beneath the waves including heading, pitch, depth and buoyancy.
Continues at:
https://www.royalnavy.mod.uk/news-and-l ... ly-by-wire
And video at:
https://www.facebook.com/royalnavy/vide ... 4590108276
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic

Return to “RN Submarines”