Battleships: ISE Class

Add your posts about the Imperial Japanese Navy in this section
Brian James

Battleships: ISE Class

Unread post by Brian James »

Ise Class Battleship IJNS Hyūga pictured shortly post her completion,was the second and last Ise-Class Battleship,built by Mitsubishi Heavy industries in 1918.Although completed in 1918, she played no role in World War I. Hyūga supported Japanese forces in the early 1920s during the Siberian Intervention in the Russian Civil War. In 1923, she assisted survivors of the Great Kantō earthquake.She was partially modernised in two stages in 1927–1928 and 1931–1932, during which her forward superstructure was rebuilt in the pagoda mast style. Hyūga was reconstructed in 1934–1936, improvements being made to her armour and propulsion machinery. Afterwards, she played a minor role in the Second Sino-Japanese War.
Despite the expensive reconstruction,she was considered obsolete by the eve of the Pacific War, and did not see significant action in the early years of the war. Following the loss of most of the IJN's large Aircraft Carriers during the Battle of Midway in mid-1942, she was rebuilt with a flight deck replacing the rear pair of gun turrets to give her the ability to operate an air group of Floatplanes; lack of aircraft and qualified pilots meant that Hyūga never actually operated her aircraft in combat. She participated in the Battle of Cape Engaño in late 1944, where she helped to decoy the American Carrier Fleet supporting the invasion of Leyte away from the landing beaches. Afterwards,she was transferred to Southeast Asia, occasionally serving as a flagship. In early 1945, Hyūga participated in Operation Kita, during which she transported petrol and other strategic materials back to Japan. She was then reduced to reserve until she was sunk during American airstrikes in July. After the war, Hyūga was scrapped in 1946–1947.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
ivorthediver

Re: Battleships: ISE Class

Unread post by ivorthediver »

Hmmmmm....five turrets as well , I am surprised at her downfall as she looked like a fighter , although a bit of a give away with all that smoke trial made her easy to find it looks .......I'm sure Dennis will know of her
"What Ever Floats your Boat"
designeraccd

Unread post by designeraccd »

Actually 6 twin 14" turrets! ;)

My first pic is the same one as Brian posted, but colorized so it is a bit easier to see details.......... DFO
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
ivorthediver

Unread post by ivorthediver »

Well lads " we" may be new on the block , but we seem to have all the brains re Naval knowledge [ present company excluded of course :oops: ] Well done Dennis /Harry / Brian.......... for being so attentive

Its so reassuring to feel that events on this Forum are sought , queried , analysed , and answered by the best Naval Staff ever serving for their respective countries .......credit where credit's due .......we may not have all served in the same Navy , but the skills mastered whilst in service learning your trades are self evident each day on our Forum ........you should be proud of yourselves ........I know I am.. by the evidence viewed each day on here .......well done lads :D

Now if we could just hone your skills on the national Lottery numbers we could all pickle our kidneys and die happy :D
"What Ever Floats your Boat"
designeraccd

Unread post by designeraccd »

Here is ISE running full out during her rebuild in 1936. Clean photo of her..... ;) Compare to her early 20s look.

In December 1936 Ise was in the middle of her first reconstruction at Kure Naval Yard. Began on August 1, 1935, ISE was rated a Reserve Ship, Third Class on August 15. Among her improvements were:
•24 mixed-fired boilers replaced with eight new Kampon oil-fired boilers.
•New Kampon geared turbines fitted.
•Maximum speed increased to 25.4 knots.

•Fore funnel removed.

Stern lengthened by 25 feet.

•Horizontal armor to magazines and machinery spaces increased.

•Torpedo bulges added. She recomissioned on March 23, 1937. Her displacement was up to 35,800 tons.
DFO
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic

Return to “Imperial Japanese Navy”