Proposed Fleet Solid Support Ships

A civilian-manned fleet owned by the United Kingdom's Ministry of Defence
Pelican

Re: Proposed Fleet Solid Support Ships

Unread post by Pelican »

Refining the Fleet Solid Support ship design

The three companies comprising Team Resolute all recently unveiled models of the Fleet Solid Support ships while BMT provided some insight into the ongoing design process.

On the drawing board
Since the contract for FSS was signed in January 2023 work has continued to develop the platform. The majority of the main features had been defined pre-contract and the size of ship decided but the really detailed design work has yet to commence. As the naval architects for the Team Resolute bid, BMT could draw on their recent experience contributing to the design of the QEC aircraft carriers, the Tide class tankers and the Type 31 frigates. When the MoD revised its specification for FSS and restarted the competition in May 2021 it still presented a very challenging requirement. It was left to the design teams to maximise the capability within the given budget and make trade-offs provided certain key user requirements were
met.

Continues at - https://www.navylookout.com/refining-th ... ip-design/
HMS Pelican 1938 - 1958 GGCV L86 U86 F86 What I Have I Hold ~ A wonderful bird is the Pelican its beak can hold more than its belly can.
Pelican

Unread post by Pelican »

Navy Lookout
G.E. Vernova to equip the Fleet Solid Support ships with hybrid-electric propulsion technology.
GE will design and manufacture Active Front-End (AFE) power converters and Power Take-Off/Power Take-In (PTI/PTO) hybrid electric induction motor-generators. Contract also includes integration, test & commissioning and logistic support.
See - https://www.ge.com/news/press-releases/ ... technology
HMS Pelican 1938 - 1958 GGCV L86 U86 F86 What I Have I Hold ~ A wonderful bird is the Pelican its beak can hold more than its belly can.
Pelican

Unread post by Pelican »

Harland & Wolff

We are delighted to share a key milestone in the recapitalisation of our Belfast yard with first steel now erected.

Belfast has a long shipbuilding history, and this £77m investment ahead of delivering the FSS programme will enable the site to continue designing, building, and maintaining technologically cutting-edge vessels for years to come.

The improvements will give us the ability to take on larger projects at an accelerated pace, using the latest manufacturing technologies, requiring skilled people that will be trained to the highest standard.

This investment is underpinning the transformation of the yard and will not only support FSS delivery but embed the latest technology across the group to increase our competitiveness in the European market and win new orders across our five markets of defence, commercial, energy, renewables and cruise and ferry.

Reminder https://www.navylookout.com/refining-th ... ip-design/
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic

Return to “The Royal Fleet Auxiliary”