Battleships: Indefatigable Class; HMAS Australia 1913 - 1921

Add your posts about the Australian Navy in this section
Brian James

Battleships: Indefatigable Class; HMAS Australia 1913 - 1921

Unread post by Brian James »

Indefatigable Class Battleship HMAS Australia pictured on approach to the Kantara Army base in the Suez Canal on April 29th 1919.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
designeraccd

Re: Battleships: Indefatigable Class; HMAS Australia 1913 - 1921

Unread post by designeraccd »

The AUSTRALIA was engaged at the Battle of Jutland in WW1; obviously the high point of her naval career. Basically this class was a enlarged version of the INVINCIBLEs, therefore carrying to more 12", but 50 cal IIRC not 45 caliber.

Attached are some fitting out pics I think I loaded on the old forum. They are from a GR8 book about Clydebank barrel cruisers. :)

The last pic clearly shows one of the reasons she was built...a BIG GUN being mounted!! ;) DFO
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
ivorthediver

Unread post by ivorthediver »

Great shots and narrative Dennis , and worthy of response , as one shot photo's relay nothing to the reader unless they are in possession of a collection of photo's , which I know you try to do , and without the relative information leaves us all floundering and unresponsive .....so well done and many thanks [ All very good for a little ole Marine with just a box Browny in his kit bag ;)
"What Ever Floats your Boat"
designeraccd

Actually that is about what I had while in the CORPS: "just a box Browny". The few land oriented pics I have sadly show that, too! Spare money went for TRYING to keep my old '57 Triumph 6T/Thunderbird 650 running!!! :o

I wasn't even able to get good pics at Long Beach Naval Yard; durn MARINE sentries were to eagle eyed!!! :shock: DFO
ivorthediver

Unread post by ivorthediver »

OK.... OK... case proven we will have a whip round after Christmas for your loyalty to British Bikes [ God I bet he could get blood out of a stone before he left ;) ]
"What Ever Floats your Boat"
Brian James

'Those daring young men in their flying machines'...Sopwith 1 1/2 Strutter biplane launching from a platform built on top of HMAS Australia’s midships 'Q' turret, in 1918.
Brian James

Indefatigable Class Battlecruiser HMAS Australia pictured at Portsmouth in 1919.
Brian James

SS Gabo pictured with Indefatigable Class Battlecruiser HMAS Australia being dismantled at Garden Island, Sydney. She was being prepared for scuttling, which took place on April 12th 1924. The giant floating crane Titan can be seen right. It was brought from Cockatoo Island Dockyard and set the task of lifting the boilers out of the vessel.
Brian James

Indefatigable Class Battlecruiser HMAS Australia pictured fitting out at John Brown & Company Shipyards, Clydebank in 1913.
designeraccd

Other views of AUSTRALIA fitting out............ :D DFO
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic

Return to “Australian Navy”