Type 45 Destroyers; apertures and hatches

Post here about equipment carried on ships
Little h

Type 45 Destroyers; apertures and hatches

Unread post by Little h »

Seen in a review of a publication; the following image to which I have appended a few captions.

Screenshot (3552).jpg

The hatch immediately aft of the Jackstaff tabernacle is described as a/the 'seamanship hatch' - the operation of which is hydraulically assisted. This hatch provides ingress and egress from the enclosed forecastle below the fwd weather deck (foredeck).

The caption associated with the image in the publication refers to the two hatches, shown extended outboard from the aperatures that they protect/cover.... suggests that one or both these aperatures are 'mine lookout positions' ..... is this description likely to properly describe the function of one or both these apertures?
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Little h
ivorthediver

Re: Type 45 Destroyers; apertures and hatches

Unread post by ivorthediver »

Not much help here either I'm afraid Harry , but just as curious now shown :oops:
"What Ever Floats your Boat"
Little h

Having since purchased the publication a further query presents itself - it includes several images, some having the the associated caption advising that the feature is the 'Divers' door'.

Since there is a prohibition on any form of reproduction without permission, I have sought to find images of said 'doors' taken from a point outboard of a Type 45 to act as examples. These doors are located below the flight deck, and when open become aperatures on both port and stbd sides of the ships hull, just fwd of the transom.

, Divers' door quarterdeck D37-HMS-Duncan-x09 seaforces.org.jpg

The red arrow indicates the stbd Divers' door

, Duncan twitter DJ3vtRLWkAE6q2g.jpg

The red arrow indicates the port Divers' door

In the 2nd attachment; note that the port transom door is opened wide (folding out and to stbd).

And the query .... why are the 'Divers' doors' so called? is it because that is where divers would gain ingress/egress to and from an enclosed quarterdeck using the assistance of boats secured alongside aft below the flightdeck, as opposed to using the transom doors?
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Little h
ivorthediver

Thanks Harry , so thats above the Tiller Flat presumably ?.

Does the stern door also lead to the diving store or is that for USV [underwater submersible vehicle :idea: ] control station :?:
Little h

ivorthediver wrote: Wed Dec 05, 2018 8:16 am Thanks Harry , so thats above the Tiller Flat presumably ?.

Does the stern door also lead to the diving store or is that for USV [underwater submersible vehicle :idea: ] control station :?:
Re. so thats above the Tiller Flat presumably ?.

The old term Tiller Flat appears to have been superceded by the term Steering Gear Compartment, which I presume will still be directly below the quarterdeck (now enclosed) as normal.

Re. Does the stern door also lead to the diving store or is that for USV [underwater submersible vehicle :idea: ] control station :?:

I'm not sure I understand this question Ivor. There are two Transom Doors (one each side of the ship's centre line), and they are primarily used for mooring gear/towing. I have no idea about the location of the diving store or the existence of any USV control station, nor ideed of any USV being carried.

My question about the Divers' doors still remains outstanding for an answer.
Little h
ivorthediver

I take your point Harry , when I get my copy of the "Haynes Workshop Manual" and study the service Intervals , Oil changes , filter changes , I'll let you know [ he says chuckling to himself , I still cant believe they have gone into the Naval business via a service manual] we all instantly recognise , but a good sales ploy to get them published though .........there I go with my cynical hat on again .......I really thought you had excelled yourself with this " wind up" Harry and felt very guilty at taking your name in vain :oops: .....crawls into his workshop and works by the glow of his red pallor. :oops: .....incidentally we will have a whip round in the wardroom and buy you some more felt tip markers for your posts [ only teasing ]....

As for the RCV station , not knowing the layout , and having seen the Diving station on HMS Cavalier equipped with diving gear , recharge station , battery bays and the close proximity to the "Diving Door" you mentioned I thought perhaps they had provision for these also as sited in the Mine Sweepers due to the close proximity ......so superposition on my part I'm afraid ......sorry If I have clouded the issue ;)

Just to make matters more confusing Harry , it depends a lot on the type of gear said "Divers" are using :- i.e. Aqua-lung , Rebreathers ,Slave airline as used by Commercial divers, each of which have depth limitations and are used for specific tasks / duration , some requiring a deco Chamber for saturation diving procedures, so given a warfare scenario and remote workload these could be the "Mission Package" so to speak .
Again Diver function :- Propulsion issues , towed array , maintenance issues the list could be as long as short as the mission's dictate ......so there you have some things to add to your ferreting shopping list Kind Sir ... ;) ;)
Little h

HMS Diamond (D34) visit to Aberdeen one of her official affiliated cities - August 2018

Aberdeen has welcomed the Royal Navy’s destroyer HMS Diamond in her first visit for almost three years.

The Type 45 air defence destroyer docked at Clipper Quay on the city’s York Street at the weekend.

The crew hoped to cement the ship’s links with Aberdeen – one of the vessel’s official affiliated cities – by hosting several community and youth groups, including Navy Cadets, during the port visit.

HMS Diamond, which houses 196 crew, recently shadowed two Russian warships through the English Channel.

For Captain Benjamin Keith, who first took command in November 2016, the visit was a welcome chance to interact with the people of Aberdeen.

The ship last visited the city in November 2015 when members of the crew took part in Remembrance Day events.

He said: “I joined after the last visit to Aberdeen so unfortunately I missed it, but my predecessor said what a great city it is for welcoming sailors and the last time the ship came, we were received really well.

“We know there is a really strong relationship with Aberdeen.
---------------------------

The ship is due to leave Aberdeen today.

Source Aberdeen Journals Limited Evening Express News/Local; article (and video) titled:-

Video: Glittering welcome for HMS Diamond’s visit to Aberdeen by Jodie Molyneux 13/08/2018, 12:30 pm (updated 13/8/2018 4:07pm)

Her arrival in Aberdeen harbour:-
t HMS Diamond Screenshot (3582).jpg

......and a taster for the next post:-
u EEhmsdiamond017.jpg-847x564 Aberdeen Journals Ltd eveningexpress.co.uk.jpg
Last edited by Little h on Thu Dec 06, 2018 5:15 pm, edited 4 times in total.
Little h
Little h

HMS Diamond (D34) visit to Aberdeen one of her official affiliated cities - August 2018 - (continued)

A selection of screenshots taken from the short video, that was shot inside the enclosed forecastle. The camera appears to have been situated on the port side, midway between the seamanship hatch immediatly aft of the bow/bullring and the bulkhead aft of the winches.

Attachments; camera pans right to left (fostle aft watertight bulkhead fwd through an arc towards the seamanship hatch/bullring on the foredeck. (Contrast/Shadow/Brightnes of all images has been adjusted by me for clarity)

1Screenshot (3580).jpg
3Screenshot (3573).jpg
6Screenshot (3577).jpg
8Screenshot (3578).jpg
11Screenshot (3582).jpg

Source Aberdeen Journals Limited Evening Express News/Local; article (and video) titled:-

Video: Glittering welcome for HMS Diamond’s visit to Aberdeen by Jodie Molyneux 13/08/2018, 12:30 pm (updated 13/8/2018 4:07pm)
Last edited by Little h on Thu Dec 06, 2018 5:13 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Little h
ivorthediver

Little h wrote: Thu Dec 06, 2018 4:57 pm HMS Diamond (D34) visit to Aberdeen one of her official affiliated cities - August 2018

Her arrival in Aberdeen harbour:-

t HMS Diamond Screenshot (3582).jpg

Many thanks Harry , would that be the starboard Cable Brake shown there :?:
Little h

ivorthediver wrote: Thu Dec 06, 2018 5:13 pm
Little h wrote: Thu Dec 06, 2018 4:57 pm HMS Diamond (D34) visit to Aberdeen one of her official affiliated cities - August 2018

Many thanks Harry , would that be the starboard Cable Brake shown there :?:
Bow I'd say Ivor; anchor and chain dropped through bullring. The stbd anchor and chain through the hawsepipe on stbd bow.
Last edited by Little h on Thu Dec 06, 2018 7:09 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Little h
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic

Return to “Ships/Boats Equipment”