Aircraft Carriers: USS Gerald Ford

Add your posts about the US Navy in this section
Pelican

Re: Aircraft Carriers: USS Gerald Ford

Unread post by Pelican »

USS FORD

The USS Ford is the most advanced aircraft carrier the US has ever built. The tally for the total cost is $13.3 billion, nearly 30% more than initial estimates. However, more costs are expected. The Navy accepted the Ford in 2017 without some of its newest technologies operating, and the ship still won’t be completely ready for battle until 2022.

See -https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jpSRHB-wJ14&t=1s
HMS Pelican 1938 - 1958 GGCV L86 U86 F86 What I Have I Hold ~ A wonderful bird is the Pelican its beak can hold more than its belly can.
Pelican

Unread post by Pelican »

The Saga Of The Navy's Newest Carrier's Problem-Plagued Weapons Elevators Appears To Be Over

The elevators are one of several major systems that have delayed operational deployment of the carrier for years.

The U.S. Navy announced today that the final advanced weapons elevator on the USS Gerald R. Ford has been declared fully functional. The 11 elevators on the service's newest aircraft carrier, which permit movement of ordnance from the ship's magazines to the aircraft, have been a continuing problem since before the Ford was officially commissioned in 2017.

With the announcement from the Program Executive Office – Aircraft Carriers, the Navy has kept a commitment it made this past summer to complete the elevators in 2021, and it has removed a major obstacle to the carrier’s expected first deployment in 2022. As recently as August 2021, only seven of the elevators were considered fully operational. At that time, the Navy announced its expectation that the remaining elevators would be functional by the end of 2021.

Continues, including photos, at - https://www.thedrive.com/the-war-zone/4 ... x_fJPY5rF4
Note video.
HMS Pelican 1938 - 1958 GGCV L86 U86 F86 What I Have I Hold ~ A wonderful bird is the Pelican its beak can hold more than its belly can.
Pelican

Unread post by Pelican »

US Navy carrier Ford to go on unusual deployment this year

The U.S. Navy has promised a first deployment for its new aircraft carrier Gerald R. Ford by this fall — but that deployment won’t be a typical one, the head of Naval Air Force Atlantic told Defense News.

Ford won’t fall under the operational command of a regional combatant commander. Rather, it will conduct a “service-retained early employment” period where the Navy keeps full control over the ship’s activities and schedule, Rear Adm. John Meier said.

The carrier and its strike group will operate on both sides of the Atlantic Ocean alongside a long list of foreign navies, he said. But the operations will be outside the typical Global Force Management-dictated deployment in support of the joint force.

“I think it’s a great opportunity for us to demonstrate the new technology,” he said during a panel presentation at the American Society of Naval Engineers’ Technology, Systems and Ships Symposium. “We will be working with partners, we will be working all over the place as 2nd Fleet takes charge of that carrier and operates with a wide variety of operations, up and down the coast, across the Atlantic, down to the Caribbean.”

Meier told Defense News after the panel that this represented the best way to make use of Ford as it comes out of its first planned incremental availability in 2022, ahead of when the long-range Global Force Management plans begin to incorporate the new carrier. GFM is an approach meant to help oversee the allocation of forces.

Continues at - https://www.defensenews.com/naval/2022/ ... 5Pj9SMNAvg
Pelican

Unread post by Pelican »

U.S. Naval Air Forces

On January 20, 2020 the Navy announced CVN 81, the newest Gerald R. Ford-class nuclear-powered aircraft carrier, would be named in honor of Mess Attendant 3rd Class Doris Miller; the first black Sailor to be awarded the Navy Cross for his heroism during the attack on Pearl Harbor. Miller provided assistance to several wounded shipmates aboard USS West Virginia (BB 48) before manning a .50-caliber machine gun, despite not having any training on the weapon. Miller shot down multiple Japanese aircraft before carrying West Virginia's captain to safety. Future USS Doris Miller (CVN 81) is the first aircraft carrier to be named after an enlisted Sailor and the first to be named after an African American. CVN 81 is scheduled to be delivered in 2032.

See - https://www.navy.mil/Resources/Blogs/De ... hnETEzOf4/
Pelican

Unread post by Pelican »

The US Navy says its new carrier only needed a fraction of the repairs required the last time a flattop did 'shock trials' 34 years ago

Last summer, the US Navy put an aircraft carrier through shock trials for the first time since 1987.
It said USS Gerald R. Ford needed a fraction of the repairs as the last carrier to do shock trials.
That testing and other developments aboard the Ford indicate its ready to deploy with the fleet.

On March 1, the US Navy said its newest carrier, USS Gerald R. Ford, had completed its first planned incremental availability, a six-month modernization and maintenance process intended to give the carrier its final touches before its first deployment.

Ford entered its PIA after completing full-ship shock trials last summer. Those trials involved detonating three 40,000-pound explosives in the water around Ford. They marked the first such tests the Navy has conducted on a carrier since 1987.

The Ford, which was commissioned in 2017, has struggled through years of delays and cost overruns, caused in part by the array of new technology and systems installed aboard the first-in-class carrier.

Continues at - https://www.businessinsider.com/navy-ne ... ?r=US&IR=T

[Link from Tim.]
Brian James

Unread post by Brian James »

USS Gerald R. Ford pictured underway in the Atlantic Ocean conducting flight deck certification and Air Wing Carrier qualifications as part of the ship’s tailored basic phase prior to operational deployment.....March 23rd, 2022.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Brian James

USS Gerald R Ford...Atlantic Ocean, March 30th 2022.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Brian James

USS Gerald R Ford, Carrier Quals, Atlantic Ocean, March 31st 2022.
Brian James

Lewis and Clark Class Dry Cargo Ship USNS William McLean, pictured alongside USS Gerald R. Ford prior to conducting a RAS and ammunition VERTREP on-load, Atlantic Ocean, April 9th, 2022.
Brian James

USS Gerald R. Ford, Atlantic Ocean, April 13th, 2022.
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic

Return to “United States Navy”