Finnish Navy

Add your posts about Other Navies, not already listed, here
designeraccd

Finnish Navy

Unread post by designeraccd »

Finnish Coastal Defence Ships
The Finns built 2 with a main battery of 4-10". The guns were all built by Bofors: 10", 4.7", 40mm. One was sunk by the Soviets, and the second was taken by the Sovz as war booty.

They were slow, but for their mission of defending their Country, the speed was adequate.

From Wiki:
Väinämöinen and Ilmarinen were planned to be mobile coastal fortresses for the defence of the Finnish demilitarized islands at Åland in particular. The two ships were not well suited for the open seas due to a design with emphasis on operations in the shallow waters of the archipelago: it has been said that they were volatile and rolled too much. The minimal depth keel, together with the high conning tower, made the ships' movements slow and wide. It was said that the ships were uncomfortable, but harmless to their crews. audio link: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4jX2KJdHYWQ

The ship's heavy armament of 254-millimetre (10 in) Bofors guns could fire shells of 255 kilograms (562 lb) up to 31 kilometres (19 mi).

Specs (from Wiki):
Class and type: Väinämöinen-class coastal defence ship
Displacement: 3,900 t
Length: 93.0 m (305.1 ft)
Beam: 16.864 m (55.33 ft)
Draught: 5.0 m (16.4 ft)
Propulsion: Diesel-Electric powertrain
four Krupp engines 875 kW (1,173 hp), two shafts.
3,500 kW (4,700 hp)

Speed: 14.5 knots (26.9 km/h; 16.7 mph)
Range: 700 nmi (1,300 km; 810 mi)
Complement: 410
Armament: [1939]
2 × 2 × 254 millimetres (10 in) Bofors
4 × 2 × 105 mm Bofors
4 × 40 mm Vickers
2 × 20 mm Madsens
[1944]
2 × 2 × 254 millimetres (10 in) Bofors
4 × 2 × 105 mm Bofors
4 × 40 mm Bofors
8 × 20 mm Madsens

Very interesting little warships! DFO
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
designeraccd

Re: Finnish Navy

Some more photos of these unique little ships, not very seaworthy tho... :o DFO
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
designeraccd

Apparently, to MAXIMIZE the weapon fit, but minimize tonnage; armor was sacrificed along with engine power, thereby permitting a small funnel. Only a thin 2" side belt with 1" deck and ? on turrets was fitted.

As always, priorities are given causing sacrifices elsewhere. The stubby, shallow hull was NOT designed for the North Atlantic!! They did have a icebreaker bow which was supposedly useful.

They only fired their guns a handful of times "in anger". Here is a link to a 1938 film showing about the whole Finnish Navy: https://yle.fi/aihe/artikkeli/2010/11/2 ... ton-ylpeys Excellent footage of the 2 Coast Defense Ships! :D

Curiously these CDS displaced 3900 tons with 4-10", the vaunted USN LC$ is @ the same tonnage, but with 1-57mm popgun and massive power plant that can hit 40 knots, which versus a shell or SSM is a expen$ive so what!?? DFO
ivorthediver

Unread post by ivorthediver »

Excellent photo's Dennis thanks very much for sharing them with us , and thanks for including the spec details , as I said before paints a far better picture of the vessel ;)
"What Ever Floats your Boat"
designeraccd

Enjoy the lil 1938 movie, too....have popcorn!!! ;) DFO
designeraccd

Misc. views, including a snug fit in a drydock, 1944! :D

A final view of her as Soviet VIBORG.......... DFO
ivorthediver

Thank Dennis , love the access equipment / staging slung down the sides , God health and safety would have bloody heart failure if they saw that now days
designeraccd

Yup, over here it is OSHA........here, letzz wipe your nose lil boy......... Some good definitely, but too much nanny state now......IMhO. :shock:

OTOH, I remember trying to introduce the concept of efficient, safe ergonomics into the design of a 90 ton (lift capacity) crane truck I was responsible for in early 1974. The way some of that work was "greeted" by the clients' "old pros"...well one might have thought I'd landed in a flying saucer from Andromeda!!! :o I did finally get them to accept this new fangled stuff, thanks largely to their chief engineer. DFO
ivorthediver

You have my total sympathy Dennis , most of which is common sense seems to migrate from their reasoning .
designeraccd

Common WHAT????????????? :o One of the reasons I retired myself @ 18 months before I had planned to, got fed up with......"things", oh well; more time to study ships, history etc, and try to still build my tiny models :D DFO
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic

Return to “Other Navies”