General Naval Topics

Add your posts about Royal Navy ships in this section
Pelican

Re: General Naval Topics

Unread post by Pelican »

Pelican wrote: Sun Dec 16, 2018 11:16 pm Savetheroyalnavy.org
Assume Gavin Williamson and his department is hard at work right now
There are just 3 Parliamentary working days left to publish the Modernising Defence Programme which was promised by “late Autumn” or “by the end of the year”
I live in hope rather than expectation!
:cry:
Well at least he made it:
Savetheroyalnavy.org
The Defence Secretary has made statement on the Modernising Defence Programme published today.
More analysis required but no cuts tabled (yet) although overall very underwhelming.
https://assets.publishing.service.gov.u ... _FINAL.pdf
HMS Pelican 1938 - 1958 GGCV L86 U86 F86 What I Have I Hold ~ A wonderful bird is the Pelican its beak can hold more than its belly can.
Pelican

Unread post by Pelican »

Little h wrote: Thu Dec 13, 2018 7:07 pm ..... meanwhile; Sea Venom

Ministry of Defence 🇬🇧 Verified account @DefenceHQ on Twitter

🇬🇧🇫🇷 Sea Venom has successfully carried out its third development firing in the Mediterranean. The missile will enable @RoyalNavy and @MarineNationale helicopters to deal with a wide range of surface threats, from fast inshore attack craft up to corvette-sized vessels.

and ....

SEA VENOM/ANL
FUTURE ANTI-SURFACE GUIDED WEAPON

MBDA is developing Sea Venom/ANL, an helicopter-launched, over-the-horizon anti-ship weapon system, jointly funded by the UK and French Governments. It is the next generation multi-role surface attack weapon.

Capable of defeating the most challenging target set presented by today’s open water and littoral maritime operations, the new weapon features significant advances on both Sea Skua and AS15TT.

The new design will maintain some of the characteristics of Sea Skua and AS15TT and retain compatibility with existing logistic footprints, thereby allowing current users of these systems to upgrade easily.

Sea Venom/ANL offers:

Reduced modifications to existing ship storage and handling equipment
High helicopter load-out
Minimal impact on logistics and through-life costs

Source here
Sea Venom/ANL missile service entry faces year-long delay
The introduction of the Sea Venom/ANL helicopter-launched anti-ship missile into UK Royal Navy (RN) service faces a delay of up to 12 months because of unspecified technical issues, the UK Ministry of Defence (MoD) has disclosed.
The slippage would leave the RN’s Wildcat HMA.2 helicopter without its principal anti-ship armament until the latter part of 2021.
Continues at - https://www.janes.com/article/85256/sea ... 64Vh8o3Uao
HMS Pelican 1938 - 1958 GGCV L86 U86 F86 What I Have I Hold ~ A wonderful bird is the Pelican its beak can hold more than its belly can.
Pelican

Unread post by Pelican »

Pelican wrote: Tue Dec 18, 2018 6:38 pm
Little h wrote: Thu Dec 13, 2018 7:07 pm ..... meanwhile; Sea Venom

Ministry of Defence 🇬🇧 Verified account @DefenceHQ on Twitter

🇬🇧🇫🇷 Sea Venom has successfully carried out its third development firing in the Mediterranean. The missile will enable @RoyalNavy and @MarineNationale helicopters to deal with a wide range of surface threats, from fast inshore attack craft up to corvette-sized vessels.

and ....

SEA VENOM/ANL
FUTURE ANTI-SURFACE GUIDED WEAPON

MBDA is developing Sea Venom/ANL, an helicopter-launched, over-the-horizon anti-ship weapon system, jointly funded by the UK and French Governments. It is the next generation multi-role surface attack weapon.

Capable of defeating the most challenging target set presented by today’s open water and littoral maritime operations, the new weapon features significant advances on both Sea Skua and AS15TT.

The new design will maintain some of the characteristics of Sea Skua and AS15TT and retain compatibility with existing logistic footprints, thereby allowing current users of these systems to upgrade easily.

Sea Venom/ANL offers:

Reduced modifications to existing ship storage and handling equipment
High helicopter load-out
Minimal impact on logistics and through-life costs

Source here
Sea Venom/ANL missile service entry faces year-long delay
The introduction of the Sea Venom/ANL helicopter-launched anti-ship missile into UK Royal Navy (RN) service faces a delay of up to 12 months because of unspecified technical issues, the UK Ministry of Defence (MoD) has disclosed.
The slippage would leave the RN’s Wildcat HMA.2 helicopter without its principal anti-ship armament until the latter part of 2021.
Continues at - https://www.janes.com/article/85256/sea ... 64Vh8o3Uao
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Pelican

Unread post by Pelican »

Pelican wrote: Tue Dec 18, 2018 6:28 pm
Pelican wrote: Sun Dec 16, 2018 11:16 pm Savetheroyalnavy.org
Assume Gavin Williamson and his department is hard at work right now
There are just 3 Parliamentary working days left to publish the Modernising Defence Programme which was promised by “late Autumn” or “by the end of the year”
I live in hope rather than expectation!
:cry:
Well at least he made it:
Savetheroyalnavy.org
The Defence Secretary has made statement on the Modernising Defence Programme published today.
More analysis required but no cuts tabled (yet) although overall very underwhelming.
https://assets.publishing.service.gov.u ... _FINAL.pdf
See also - https://ukdefencejournal.org.uk/moderni ... TBfSKFTHhI
ivorthediver

Unread post by ivorthediver »

Well done David , long may it continue eh ;)
"What Ever Floats your Boat"
jbryce1437

Unread post by jbryce1437 »

Many thanks to Jim Rae for pointing me in the direction of short film by Tony Roach about the Battle of the Atlantic and Captain Johnny Walker. It brought a lump to my throat and a tear to my eyes.
Check out this link.

Jim
HMS Raleigh 1963 , HMS Collingwood 1963 & 67 , HMS Ark Royal 1964-7, HMS Undaunted 1968-71, HMS Victory (Fleet Maintenance Group) 1971-72, HMS Exmouth 1972-74
JEM, EM, OEM, LOEM, POOEL
Then 28 years in the Fire Brigade
Retired since 2002
ivorthediver

Unread post by ivorthediver »

How quickly the deeds and valour of those passed become our history......... briefly noted in their passing . :(

It is considered churlish to spotlight those of exceptional service to our country by some ..and yet considered disrespectful by others ........but who can put themselves in a position of judgment when rating such men ........
"What Ever Floats your Boat"
Pelican

Unread post by Pelican »

A year in review – the Royal Navy in 2018
In broad terms, 2018 was a positive year for the naval service, in many ways an improvement on 2017. The navy has been able to deliver a higher operational tempo than last year and despite initial indications to the contrary, has escaped further cuts.
Small fleet, big impact ~ continues at: https://www.savetheroyalnavy.org/a-year ... 4s7Id8jeWg
Rob Hoole

HMS Vindictive artefact

Unread post by Rob Hoole »

A friend has come into possession of this artefact and would appreciate any information about it. He says:
"I have bought beautiful piece without any information. I thought it was originally a Gun Tampion, it's 11" in diameter meaning a good fit for a 12" gun. However, the WW2 famous HMS Vindictive at Zeebrugge was a 6" cruiser.

The ornate timber mount, which also has a column top and top piece not shown, looks much older than this, I would say 18th or 19th century.

If this is the case, then 74 gun HMS Vindictive from 1813 would be more likely, but I have not seen a cannon tampion like this before. She was also a Portsmouth ship, which ties in with where I bought it in Pompey.

Also, I beleive gun tampions would always show the ships crest of the ship used on rather than the standard RN anchor?

Can anyone help please???

Thanks"
Someone has already suggested it might have been from a steam capstan head. Any other ideas?
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Best wishes,

Rob
www.mcdoa.org
Pelican

Unread post by Pelican »

The Confederation of Shipbuilding Unions have slammed the recently published Modernising Defence Programme.

Ian Waddell at the CSEU (Confederation of Shipbuilding Unions) had this to say:

“After months of delay, this 28-page report does nothing to secure the vital importance of UK shipbuilding. The Government claim that the National Shipbuilding Strategy has secured 4,000 jobs, but the blunt reality is that the Government’s obsession with tendering contracts out to international competition is slowly killing the shipbuilding industry. In recent months, we have seen the intended closure of Appledore, with Rosyth facing a similar fate if action is not taken.

The National Security Objectives set out in the report state the intention of the MoD is to ‘protect our people, global influence and prosperity’, but by showing a complete lack of support for UK industry and the thousands of jobs reliant on the MoD awarding contracts domestically, the MoD cannot truly meet these objectives.”

Waddell also criticised plans to tender the Fleet Solid Support Ships internationally, he said:

“Ministers have hidden behind EU regulations to avoid building these ships in Britain, even though our yards are world-class. British shipbuilding will become the first strategically important industry to fail because of Brexit. Ironically, it is the communities in Brexit voting areas like Devon, Tyneside and Merseyside who are being hardest hit. Ministers say they are starting to listen because of the strength of this campaign and because they’re getting the same message from multiple sources and that it is to be welcomed. European Member States including France, Germany, Italy and Spain all build support ships domestically because they are classed as military ships for national security reasons.

It is through the looking glass stuff when these same countries are invited by our own Government to bid for combat support ships armed with anti-submarine and anti-surface warfare helicopters because the Government says they are commercial ships. By simply applying for a derogation under EU rules we can build these ships in Britain and safeguard a supply chain which extends to some 30,000 skilled workers in every part of the UK. It beggars belief that instead, Defence Ministers are prepared to sacrifice an iconic industry on the altar of competition, pretending their hands are tied by the EU while calling for Brexit.”

Continues at - https://ukdefencejournal.org.uk/cseu-sa ... N79M29yf_M
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic

Return to “Royal Navy”