General Naval Topics

Add your posts about Royal Navy ships in this section
Pelican

Re: General Naval Topics

Unread post by Pelican »

ivorthediver wrote: Mon Dec 03, 2018 5:43 pm
Pelican wrote: Mon Dec 03, 2018 4:46 pm I notice you are on food and drink today Ivor. I don't like whisky and I'm a Gooner so had a smile on my face yesterday. Also found out today the Americans know salt beef as corned beef according to one source.
I am not a fan of Corned dog , but love salt beef in a sarni , but as for "Gooner" thats a new one on me David what is that please :?
You would'nt have liked MTBs then Ivor, we lived on corned dog sanwiches at sea, Gooner = Gunner = Arsenal supporter.
HMS Pelican 1938 - 1958 GGCV L86 U86 F86 What I Have I Hold ~ A wonderful bird is the Pelican its beak can hold more than its belly can.
ivorthediver

Unread post by ivorthediver »

Thanks David , should have worked that one out myself , but never been a footi fan , nor Rugby come to that , Ive always been drawn to singular sports , but still enjoy team activities , just more interested in things like Riding , Shooting , and Diving . :oops: and NO I haven't got my own set of Spurs before you ask ;)
"What Ever Floats your Boat"
Pelican

Unread post by Pelican »

A report published by the Defence Committee has warned of issues facing the Royal Navy with regards to its heavyweight anti-ship missile capability.
Continues - https://ukdefencejournal.org.uk/report- ... 2fg0IwxnSQ
I assume 2010 should read 2020.
HMS Pelican 1938 - 1958 GGCV L86 U86 F86 What I Have I Hold ~ A wonderful bird is the Pelican its beak can hold more than its belly can.
ivorthediver

Worrying when people more intelligent than me cant get the date Right Eh David ;)
Pelican

Unread post by Pelican »

ivorthediver wrote: Thu Dec 13, 2018 11:14 am Worrying when people more intelligent than me cant get the date Right Eh David ;)
Some more Ivor - https://ukdefencejournal.org.uk/mod-adv ... Ik5jArf0T4
And - https://ukdefencejournal.org.uk/inquiry ... xafldQfY9I
ivorthediver

Keep us updated please David , might work something out :roll:
Little h

Unread post by Little h »

..... meanwhile; Sea Venom

Ministry of Defence 🇬🇧 Verified account @DefenceHQ on Twitter

🇬🇧🇫🇷 Sea Venom has successfully carried out its third development firing in the Mediterranean. The missile will enable @RoyalNavy and @MarineNationale helicopters to deal with a wide range of surface threats, from fast inshore attack craft up to corvette-sized vessels.

and ....

SEA VENOM/ANL
FUTURE ANTI-SURFACE GUIDED WEAPON

MBDA is developing Sea Venom/ANL, an helicopter-launched, over-the-horizon anti-ship weapon system, jointly funded by the UK and French Governments. It is the next generation multi-role surface attack weapon.

Capable of defeating the most challenging target set presented by today’s open water and littoral maritime operations, the new weapon features significant advances on both Sea Skua and AS15TT.

The new design will maintain some of the characteristics of Sea Skua and AS15TT and retain compatibility with existing logistic footprints, thereby allowing current users of these systems to upgrade easily.

Sea Venom/ANL offers:

Reduced modifications to existing ship storage and handling equipment
High helicopter load-out
Minimal impact on logistics and through-life costs

Source here
Little h
Pelican

Unread post by Pelican »

Oh dear!
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IA4E69OfEWY
Medway was found to have the same faults as the Forth. Medway was rejected and is therefore not expected in the near future.
HMS Trent the 3rd in line was discovered to have no material specification data for the steel to build her therefore the MOD rejected any further work on her (she was actually ready to be fitted out) as they could not accept BAE’s quality control. It was possible that cheap, poor grade steel had been used. Trent will be scrapped and started again from scratch, hence the old river class to be re-commissioned.
Wait and see if this happens - https://ukdefencejournal.org.uk/brazil- ... e-expires/
Meanwhile see - https://ukdefencejournal.org.uk/three-r ... uk-waters/
And overall - https://ukdefencejournal.org.uk/?s=OFF+ ... TROL+SHIPS
It appears that in order to progress Prince of Wales in the autumn of next year, crew her, other ships will have to be mothballed. Recruiting or lack of it seems to be as bad as that for the Army currently.
ivorthediver

Well David , what can I say to this , other than what we have been debating over the defects recently unearthed , and identified as possible causes all relating to the "Streamlined CAD designed proposals " which are slowly seeping out as ships involved in incidents become apparent Viz ...defective watertight seals , trunking , bulkheads ,welding , fixtures , fittings ..... etc etc .......all becoming to common place to be a coincidence now and confirming our worst fears :evil: BAE being clearly amongst them as their recent defect lists on the Q E carrier is showing [ and no doubt there will be more to follow] ......and your naive if you think otherwise :(

As I have remarked already elsewhere , when I was a Surveyor , ALL contractors try it on and when brought to book say that they misunderstood the specifications , "well its common practice everyone does it I'm no different so why are you picking on me "trying to justify their actions .....

The issue here is that they are selling their CAD design system as a wonderful cost saving streamlined efficiency culture .....rather than bending the time honoured standards used over the years and tried and tested specifications to use thinner, poorer quality material which fits their preferred time frame and panders to the bean counters mandate of " use less and pocket more" mentality which will grow in proportion unless it is scrutinised carefully at every juncture :evil:

Like most long term excellent reputations built up over centuries , British Shipbuilding prowess has gone down the drain and will cost more future contracts , and lives ....before its corrected or someone has the balls to shake it out of this self propelled utopia and identifies it for what it is :- COST CUTTING GREED at the relinquishment of Quality and safety standards ....after all its not their life at stake is it :twisted:
Pelican

Unread post by Pelican »

Savetheroyalnavy.org
Assume Gavin Williamson and his department is hard at work right now
There are just 3 Parliamentary working days left to publish the Modernising Defence Programme which was promised by “late Autumn” or “by the end of the year”
I live in hope rather than expectation!
:cry:
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic

Return to “Royal Navy”