General Naval Topics

Add your posts about Royal Navy ships in this section
ivorthediver

Re: General Naval Topics

Unread post by ivorthediver »

No Argument from me ........like the rest of our tainted off white collar workers , who don't give a Dam unless they get a back hander and can retire at 40 , then they might get off their arse and shout .

On the other hand tell them to build everything to C.A.D. design spec where all the safety rules are literally bent to render more profit , then they are all ears and clambering to compete and screaming that they arn't getting a piece of the action :roll:
"What Ever Floats your Boat"
Pelican

Unread post by Pelican »

The complex task of keeping modern naval fleets primed and ready
The naval support chain is getting bigger. Just consider the scale of the US Navy.

The 250+ strong fleet contains everything from the massive Nimitz-class aircraft carrier, which stretches more than 1,000 feet, to the nuclear-powered Virginia-class submarines whose time at sea is only limited by food and maintenance requirements. And over the next 30 years the US Navy plans to expand both its fleet of ships and aircraft.

Main body of article here - https://ukdefencejournal.org.uk/the-com ... FrKxJMZOTs

Final paragraph: An already complex network is growing, driven by new factors including next generation equipment, longer asset lifecycles and changing support agreements.

[Obviously the same applies to the R.N. albeit on a smaller scale.]
HMS Pelican 1938 - 1958 GGCV L86 U86 F86 What I Have I Hold ~ A wonderful bird is the Pelican its beak can hold more than its belly can.
ivorthediver

Yes I suspect the landing of a probe on the far side of the moon will accelerate the expansion programme even quicker now David ;)

The USN has taken on the portal of pacific monitor to protect their interests having [ like us ] had their arse kicked when we all thought it was a sleeping Dragon rather than a determined one who dictates rather than acquiesces to others wishes
Pelican

Unread post by Pelican »

The following is posted here as it focuses on "leadership, culture and priorities."

Mayday in The Magellan; Part 2 – Priorities
by Commander Tom G Sharpe OBE RN (Retd)January 5, 2019
Ten years ago, the Royal Navy’s Ice Patrol Vessel HMS Endurance catastrophically flooded. Her main engine room filled to the deckhead within 30 minutes. Such was our remoteness our Mayday call went unanswered. The crew and I spent the next 24 hours fighting for our lives.

This article is the second of a three part series focusing on leadership, culture and priorities. Part one can be found here. More detail is found at the end of this page on part three. This part covers the tow to Punta Arenas, the tow to the Falklands and the ship-lift back to the UK. It also discusses the resulting investigations, media coverage and medal allocation. The analysis focuses on how my priorities shifted from the immediate aftermath of the incident to managing a crew for whom uncertainty and worry became the dominant feature.

Situation
HMS Endurance had flooded the previous day in the Western Magellan Strait and had drifted over a seamount to which both our anchors were now precariously clinging. Between going to anchor and Tug Beagle arriving from Punta Arenas, we had about 11 hours in which to try and control our situation. The anchored ship now sat head into wind rather than beam-on thus the crippling roll had been replaced by a much more manageable pitching motion. A cruise-liner arrived on the scene early in the morning, alerted by Northwood Headquarters. Until the anchor held, they were our greatest hope and their Captain and I had had some sensible conversations about our options as they steamed towards us. Even at anchor, it was reassuring to have something of that size standing close-by. As we winched the British Schools Exploration Society (BSES) personnel off via a commercial helicopter we were able to transfer on some pumps and an officer from theChilean Navy corvette that was now with us. Captain Pritchard, leave interrupted, was now at the Fleet Headquarters in Portsmouth and doing what he could to help there whilst events unfolded before heading straight to RAF Brize Norton to start the long flight south.

Full article at: https://wavellroom.com/2019/01/05/mayda ... C50ZuB_PCc
HMS Pelican 1938 - 1958 GGCV L86 U86 F86 What I Have I Hold ~ A wonderful bird is the Pelican its beak can hold more than its belly can.
ivorthediver

Thank you David , A very enlightening chapter of the RN and its more colourful facet's .

Look forward to more of this please ;)
Pelican

Unread post by Pelican »

ivorthediver wrote: Sat Jan 05, 2019 7:07 pm Thank you David , A very enlightening chapter of the RN and its more colourful facet's .

Look forward to more of this please ;)
Did you spot this link above Ivor?
https://wavellroom.com/2018/12/16/mayda ... k4RIUxQN0I
ivorthediver

Quilty as charged David ,..... thanks I will retrace my steps ......
Pelican

Unread post by Pelican »

The Freedom of Information request also revealed that roughly 15% of the Royal Navy and Royal Marines are non-deployable or have restrictions of their deployment.
From - https://www.forces.net/news/uk-has-enou ... s-says-mod
ivorthediver

Ok David have read the storey now and can only sympathise with the skipper , and the hoops he was put through , and the cause and attempted remedy to get her back , and final scrapping . :(
Pelican

Unread post by Pelican »

The plan for a British hospital ship gains political support
Back in 2014, we published an article suggesting that a small portion of the generous overseas aid budget be used to construct and operate a British hospital ship. The idea received a very positive response and after some work behind the scenes, now has the support of Penny Mordaunt, the Secretary of State for International Development. Here we take a more nuanced and updated look at some of the options and benefits of the proposal.

Background - continues at: https://www.savetheroyalnavy.org/the-pl ... -5s60NlN_Y
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic

Return to “Royal Navy”