General Naval Topics

Add your posts about Royal Navy ships in this section
Pelican

Re: General Naval Topics

Unread post by Pelican »

Royal Navy looking to ‘hasten’ adoption of AI

The Ministry of Defence recently publicised its intent regarding the Royal Navy’s adoption of Artificial Intelligence (AI).
On 14th September 2023, a Pre-Procurement Notice was released, sharing details about the “RN Artificial Intelligence Adoption Roadmap Launch”.

According to the notice, the Royal Navy officially launched its AI roadmap at DSEI on 13 September 2023. This strategic document is indicative of the RN’s keenness to hasten AI adoption across its various operations.

Highlighting the significance of this move, the MOD stated, “It reflects the RN’s aspiration to accelerate AI adoption across the spectrum of our outputs and is matched with resource to deliver. The strategic context cannot be understated as we witness both an explosion in AI enabled capability globally and the pivotal role played by technology in Ukraine.”

A major development alongside the roadmap is the inception of the Naval AI Cell (NAIC). It is foreseen as a vital component in actualising the RN’s AI ambitions.

Detailing the function of the NAIC, the notice mentions, “The NAIC comprises a focused team working across the enterprise to identify and advance AI enabled capability. Rather than take a portfolio management approach to the adoption of AI, the NAIC will act as a transformation office until AI in the RN becomes ‘business as usual’.”

In April 2023, the MOD had organised an industry day to gather perspectives on AI-related capability development. Expressing gratitude for the participation, the notice says, “We received a great volume of comments during the session and these have been immensely helpful in shaping the Roadmap.”

The MOD is keen on expanding this industry engagement via the NAIC and is also enthusiastic about updating traditional commercial practices to foster a wider, more open dialogue with the industry.

The MOD was clear in its intention, stating that this notice is solely informational, and neither the presentation nor subsequent discussions will be considered a commitment or pre-qualification exercise.

All formal procurement, if pursued, will strictly align with the MoD’s procurement guidelines and relevant regulations. The MOD stressed, “Nothing in the event or any other engagements with Industry prior to a formal procurement process, shall be construed as a representation as to the Authority’s ultimate decision in relation to any future requirement.”

Source UKDJ
HMS Pelican 1938 - 1958 GGCV L86 U86 F86 What I Have I Hold ~ A wonderful bird is the Pelican its beak can hold more than its belly can.
Pelican

Unread post by Pelican »

The New Accommodation Offer will revolutionise accommodation for serving personnel and their families.

Defence Minister AW Murrison was at RAF Wittering today to announce the offer and meet with those who will benefit. Read more at: https://www.gov.uk/government/news/defe ... -personnel
HMS Pelican 1938 - 1958 GGCV L86 U86 F86 What I Have I Hold ~ A wonderful bird is the Pelican its beak can hold more than its belly can.
Pelican

Unread post by Pelican »

Navy Lookout

Yes UK does not have enough combat aircraft.

Note: COMUKCSG said before HMS QNLZ sailed on CSG23 that significantly more than 8 jets could be embarked on the carrier right now in extremis but focus is on building up Lightning force for the future.
Refers to:

HMS Queen Elizabeth two-thirds empty as RAF fighter jets slashed
The UK’s lead aircraft carrier is two-thirds empty as it leads a major deployment this autumn because of the “slaughter” of RAF fighter jet numbers in recent years.
HMS Queen Elizabeth, the flagship of the Royal Navy, has the capacity to accommodate 36 F-35B Lightning jets and was designed to routinely carry up to 24 planes on operations.
See - https://www.thetimes.co.uk/article/2e31 ... 271914fc9f
Pelican

Unread post by Pelican »

2023 Carrier Strike Group deployment begins

HMS Queen Elizabeth sailed on 8th September to lead the RN’s first major carrier strike group deployment since 2021. Known as operation FIREDRAKE, the group will undertake of a series of exercises in northern European waters working closely with JEF and NATO partner nations.

The group will operate in the North Sea, Norwegian Sea and North Atlantic and return home in time for Christmas. The carrier will make her first visit to Sweden with a mid-deployment break in Gothenburg, while HMS Diamond will enter the Baltic Sea to visit partners in the region. The group will participate in 6 or 7 separate exercises during their time away and in October the CSG will come directly under NATO command. This will be an effective demonstration of UK strike power to Russia as well as the UK’s allies.

Following the August leave period, the carrier has been a hive of activity and there has been round-the-clock preparation in recent weeks to embark stores and equipment. This included the replacement of the aircraft lift chains, completed in just 4 days as they had deteriorated due to lubrication issues. With the core ship’s company of around 800 swelled to 1,500 for the deployment, the logistic challenge of feeding and integrating the influx of personnel is considerable. Since operation FORTIS in 2021, most of the ship’s company has changed and this is something of a new era.

Continues at - https://www.navylookout.com/2023-carrie ... nt-begins/
Pelican

Unread post by Pelican »

Sir Humphrey

Fascinating read on IUSS in the Pacific.
The Royal Navy is heavily involved in the Atlantic equivalent, with USN websites showing dozens of UK personnel are based at its East Coast HQ.

U.S. revives Cold War submarine spy program to counter China
The U.S. Navy is carrying out the biggest overhaul of its top-secret undersea surveillance network since the 1950s as China’s naval power surges and new technologies are fast reshaping maritime warfare. Beijing has similar plans of its own
Continues at - https://www.reuters.com/investigates/sp ... ce=twitter
Pelican

Unread post by Pelican »

An interesting view heard at DSEI 2023

MoD should cancel Tempest/GCAP before it eats the defence budget.
Instead should develop an "F-35UK" based on the proven airframe but add British content such as advanced radars, weapons and its own loyal wingman UAS.
Affordable, achievable and would still sustain aerospace industry.
Pelican

Unread post by Pelican »

Another article demonstrating the overall situation of current R.N. - M.O.D. hence posted here rather on the RN Submarine Section of the site.

Royal Navy nuclear deterrent submarines conducting increasingly long patrols

On 11th September a Vanguard-class submarine returned home to Faslane following a patrol lasting 195 days. Here we look at the background and implications of these extended periods at sea.

Home from the deep
As the submarine headed up the Clyde it was observed she was covered in marine growth to such an extent that had not been seen before. This is believed to be the second longest patrol by a RN deterrent submarine and the build up of algae and barnacles is possible because SSBNs remain undetected by spending the majority of their time on patrol at very slow speed. This is to minimise their noise signature and once in their assigned waterspace, are not having to go anywhere in particular. This level of biofouling may also suggest she could have been operating in either shallower or warmer waters than is usual.

In recognition of an exceptional patrol, the boat was welcomed home by the First Sea Lord and the Deputy Prime Minister although official coverage made no mention of the fact her crew had spent more than 6 months underwater. This itself represents something of a heroic achievement and the crew should be recognised for their sacrifice. From a more pragmatic perspective, it must be accepted that this comes with a significant cost to a lot of people, not just the submariners but their friends and families as well as longer-term impacts.

Continues at - https://www.navylookout.com/royal-navy- ... RjHBrU84Dc
Pelican

Unread post by Pelican »

The Success of Carrier Strike Versus The Lack of Understanding in the Media

The two most important parts of this have been the QEC hulls and the F35. There has been a lengthy gestation period, with the ships announced in 1998 as a requirement, QE entering construction in 2009 and entering service in 2017. This marked the completion of construction, but equally the beginning of a lengthy period of trials and integration – you cannot just operate an aircraft carrier from the outset. You need to understand performance, limitations (particularly for weather) and how the ship works and bring this together to ensure that the ship works, is functional and is safe for operations in all respects. This took several years to do, collecting data, understanding what it meant and where necessary making changes.

At the same time the F35 programme, which also has its gestation in the early 1990s was taking time to deliver, with the UK and other operators working to develop the design, bring it into service and ensure that the aircraft type was capable of operating to the required standard. Again, this is an incredibly complex programme that involves multiple nations working together to introduce a genuinely world beating aircraft into service – this isn’t something you do overnight.

The plan for the UK has always been to manage the introduction of these capabilities over a period of many years, making sure they work, that they deliver what is needed of them and that the full range of required capabilities is installed and works. The current UK estimate is that this point will be reached in 2026 when Carrier Strike meets its so-called ‘Full Operating Capability’ (FOC) – namely the point when the integrated set of systems are fully delivered, work as intended and meet the requirements. It will have taken nearly 10 years hard work to get here, precisely because these systems are so complex and need time to get right. This sounds a long time (and it is), but in the context of the carrier strike lifecycle, it represents less than 10% of the planned lifetime of the QEC in UK service. This is about delivering a capability fit for use into the 2060s, not just for the 2020s.

Continues at - https://thinpinstripedline.blogspot.com ... us_22.html
Pelican

Unread post by Pelican »

Adm. Sir Antony Radakin, the professional head of the United Kingdom’s military, spoke with Ryan about the future of the British military, the plans for global force presence and the status of AUKUS.

https://warontherocks.com/2023/09/a-cha ... m-radakin/
Brian James

Unread post by Brian James »

Thanks Jim..that's a start..B.
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic

Return to “Royal Navy”