RFA Tankers: Wave Class

A civilian-manned fleet owned by the United Kingdom's Ministry of Defence
Pelican

RFA Tankers: Wave Class

Unread post by Pelican »

Tanker Wave Knight gets an affiliated town after 15 years’ service
It has taken 15 years but at last tanker RFA Wave Knight has a place to call her own: Middlesbrough.
The auxiliary has forged a formal bond with the Teesside town – a bond sealed with the presentation of certificates to the ship’s company by Mayor Dave Budd in the town hall.
He received a ship’s crest from Wave Knight’s second-in-command Chief Officer Pierre Wyatt
Continues at - https://www.royalnavy.mod.uk/news-and-l ... nIXtbMxlM4
[Note Jack at half mast]
HMS Pelican 1938 - 1958 GGCV L86 U86 F86 What I Have I Hold ~ A wonderful bird is the Pelican its beak can hold more than its belly can.
Pelican

Re: RFA Tankers: Wave Class

Unread post by Pelican »

In focus: the Wave class tankers of the Royal Fleet Auxiliary
The two fleet tankers, RFA Wave Knight and Wave Ruler joined Royal Fleet Auxiliary in 2003. They have already had varied careers both supporting the RN and operating independently, In this article we examine their construction, design and service history.

Background
RFAs Wave Knight and Wave Ruler were ordered on 12 March 1997 as replacements for RFA Olwen and RFA Olna built on Tyneside in the 1960s. The three Ol class tankers displaced 33,000 tonnes, had steam turbine propulsion, could sustain 20 knots and carry 3 Sea King Helicopters. They were popular with their crews and served all over the world with distinction. They played a critical logistic role during the Falklands War, RFA Olmeda alone conducted 185 replenishments during 96 days continuously at sea. RFA Olmeda decommissioned in 1994, while Olna and Owen survived until 1999 and 2000 respectively. The 1997 Defence Review confirmed that two new fast tankers would be constructed and Vickers Shipbuilding and Engineering (VSEL) in Barrow won the £200 Million contract in competition with British Aerospace (BAe). VSEL was subsequently acquired by BAe and the ships were constructed by newly re-named BAE Systems.

Continues at - https://www.savetheroyalnavy.org/in-foc ... cZss8hnu1E
HMS Pelican 1938 - 1958 GGCV L86 U86 F86 What I Have I Hold ~ A wonderful bird is the Pelican its beak can hold more than its belly can.
ivorthediver

Unread post by ivorthediver »

Thanks David , interesting and informative post :)
"What Ever Floats your Boat"
Little h

Unread post by Little h »

RFA Wave Knight Bridge (on top; inside; below) - (all images taken from positions on/in the stbd side looking athwartships, towards the port side)

On top; showing the Bridge Roof (unusual view)
RFA Wave Knight Bridge roof D8CohTMXUAA6OyQ.jpg large (2).jpg

Source;
RFA Wave Knight on Twitter
@RFAWaveKnight

Inside; showing the Bridge interior
RFA Wave Knight Bridge-HMS-Westminster-2008 StRN.jpg

2nd & 4th Attachments
Source; Save The Royal Navy article titled In focus: the Wave class tankers of the Royal Fleet Auxiliary

dated January 4, 2019

Below; showing the RAS Control Room (RASCO)
DzdsFgYXQAAzlrM.jpg large (2).jpg

Source;
RFA Wave Knight on Twitter
@RFAWaveKnight
Attribution; Image @matt_bromage 📸

Layout Diagram of Wave Class
Screenshot (4723).png
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Little h
Pelican

Unread post by Pelican »

TANKER RETURNS HOME AFTER SIX-MONTH MISSION
21 February 2020
Veteran tanker RFA Wave Knight returns to UK waters after sustaining allied warships in the fight against terrorism in the Middle East.

The 196-metre tanker spent seven months away from home – six of them in the Middle East, where she was used as a ‘floating service station’ to provide fuel to patrolling warships.

In doing so, the Royal Fleet Auxiliary vessel supported Royal Navy and coalition operations east of Suez, as well as NATO’s security mission in the Mediterranean, Operation Sea Guardian.

The fueling rig was run out 29 times as Wave Knight’s cavernous tanks topped up British, French, Spanish and US warships.

The tanker pumped 12,276 cubic metres of ship fuel – 12,276,000 litres… enough to fill more than 21½ million pint glasses… or the tanks of more than 220,000 family cars.

On top of that Wave Knight also delivered 319 cubic metres of fuel for helicopters and aircraft flown from allied warships in the region.

Continues at:
https://www.royalnavy.mod.uk/news-and-l ... turns-home
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Pelican

Unread post by Pelican »

FROM NAVY LOOKOUT

NAO report on EP says MoD has decided to place both Wave Class RFA tankers in “extended readiness” saving £79M over 10 years.
But £110 million set aside to reactivate them 2028-31 if required.
RFA Wave Knight soon to join RFA Wave Ruler Laid up.
Pelican

Unread post by Pelican »

Mothballed tankers costing millions per year

The upkeep of the laid-up tankers RFA Wave Knight and RFA Wave Ruler has cost £13 million since 2019.
The Ministry of Defence (MoD) recently detailed the costs incurred for the maintenance and preservation of the RFA Wave Ruler and RFA Wave Knight.

From 2019 to 2022, the cumulative expenditure amounted to £13 million, with annual costs as follows:
See - https://ukdefencejournal.org.uk/mothbal ... -per-year/
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic

Return to “The Royal Fleet Auxiliary”