RN Frigates: Type 23 Duke Class

Add your posts about Royal Navy ships in this section
Pelican

Re: RN Frigates: Type 23 Duke Class

Unread post by Pelican »

PORTLAND AHOY! FRIGATE BACK AT SEA AFTER MASSIVE REVAMP
26 March 2021
The open waters of the Channel crash against the hull of HMS Portland for the first time in four years after she returned to sea today following a major overhaul.

The frigate sailed from Devonport this afternoon for sea trials as the latest Type 23 warship to complete the ‘life extension’ programme for the class – a massive undertaking which is now drawing to a close.

The revamp of the flotilla, which began in 2014, sees a total bow-to-stern mast-to-keel overhaul of the backbone ships of the Fleet to ensure the 23s can serve into the middle of the next decade, keeping pace with the latest threats and tech.

Continues at:
https://www.royalnavy.mod.uk/news-and-l ... land-sails
HMS Pelican 1938 - 1958 GGCV L86 U86 F86 What I Have I Hold ~ A wonderful bird is the Pelican its beak can hold more than its belly can.
Pelican

Unread post by Pelican »

HMS Lancaster Returns From Navy's First 2021 Arctic Deployment

Continues, including video, at:
https://www.forces.net/news/hms-lancast ... deployment
HMS Pelican 1938 - 1958 GGCV L86 U86 F86 What I Have I Hold ~ A wonderful bird is the Pelican its beak can hold more than its belly can.
Pelican

Unread post by Pelican »

https://twitter.com/hms_kent/status/138 ... 72/photo/1 - They must be taking the visit to Japan seriously.
Pelican

Unread post by Pelican »

Some things don't change only their shapes, Westminster, Tiderace, Lancaster and a Canadian CH-148 in the Baltic last month.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
ivorthediver

Unread post by ivorthediver »

Good photo there displaying good seamanship ...thanks for posting
"What Ever Floats your Boat"
Pelican

Unread post by Pelican »

HMS Argyll: Navy's Oldest Active Frigate Turns 30

https://www.forces.net/news/hms-argyll- ... wPcgG4XRSw
Pelican

Unread post by Pelican »

Royal Navy

What's 30 years old yet at the cutting-edge of technology?
Answer: Frigate HMS Argyll which has marked the milestone in her extensive career.
(1) with cake;
(2) using the latest sensors and software to track ballistic and sea-skimming missiles in a major NATO air defence exercise, Formidable Shield, helping to develop tactics for her successors in the Type 26 programme.
And she's not done yet... After a spot of maintenance in HM Naval Base Devonport she'll resume her patrols of UK waters for the rest of 2021.
See - https://www.royalnavy.mod.uk/news-and-l ... -argyll-30
Pelican

Unread post by Pelican »

Pelican

Unread post by Pelican »

Duqm Naval Dockyard completes double engine replacement
June 23, 2021
Duqm Naval Dockyard, the Joint Venture between Babcock International and the Oman Drydock Company, has completed a first of its kind double engine replacement for the Royal Navy in the Middle East.

Undertaken at Asyad dry dock facility at Duqm, in Oman, the operation to replace the Forward Auxiliary Machinery Room generators was a package of more than 500 items, and enabled the Royal Navy to sustain operations within the region as the latest example of Babcock’s global reach.

“Part of an extensive fleet time support programme for HMS Montrose in the Middle East, the team also stripped back the flightdeck and fully repainted it; completed funnel cowling repairs; and built and tested a brand new, main shaft seal cofferdam. All activities during the eleven-week repair period were completed against the backdrop of strict COVID working protocols and challenging temperatures.”

Will Erith, Babcock’s Marine Sector Chief Executive, said:
“Once again, our Joint Venture team has supported the Royal Navy in Oman, delivering an on time, to cost comprehensive maintenance programme, including the first Forward Auxiliary Machinery Room double engine replacement in the Middle East. Our global support approach underpins the service we deliver whenever, wherever our customers require.”

Commander Collins, Commanding Officer, HMS Montrose, said:
“As the Royal Navy continues to maintain a forward presence around the globe, utilising Duqm as an engineering and logistical hub has provided an outstanding opportunity to conduct improvements and upgrades to HMS Montrose. It ensures we can sustain operations at reach from the UK and reinforces our strong relationship with Oman.”

Source UKDJ
Pelican

Unread post by Pelican »

Frigate HMS Monmouth cut from Royal Navy fleet

The long laid-up Type 23 Frigate has now left the fleet leaving the Royal Navy with 12 frigates.

Full article at - https://ukdefencejournal.org.uk/frigate ... COUdvxbsnk - Note links within the article.
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic

Return to “Royal Navy”