RN Frigates: Type 23 Duke Class

Add your posts about Royal Navy ships in this section
Pelican

Re: RN Frigates: Type 23 Duke Class

Unread post by Pelican »

Babcock begins first Type 23 Frigate post-LIFEX upkeep

Babcock International, the defence company has started a post-life extension (LIFEX) on the Royal Navy’s Type 23 frigate HMS Argyll at Babcock Devonport’s Facility.

It is the first Type 23 to begin its post-LIFEX upkeep, adopting a new innovative approach to re-certification at the Frigate Support Centre (FSC).

Babcock will be overhauling key equipment and carrying out design changes for new capabilities such as communications upgrades and mixed crewing. The Duke Class frigate will also receive a full spray coat on the outer bottom and ship side.

Sarah Hilder, Project Manager for HMS Argyll’s upkeep, said in a statement to press:

“HMS Argyll presents a huge opportunity to demonstrate Babcock working in collaboration with our customer throughout the planning period and by implementing new efficient and innovative processes we are striving to complete the project in a vastly reduced timescale compared to a standard upkeep.”

Work began immediately with the vessel currently being prepared for a Lloyds structural survey to achieve an early full ship assessment in just 9 weeks.

Commissioned in 1991, HMS Argyll is the longest-serving Type 23 frigate and was the first to undergo upkeep within the LIFEX programme in 2015. Since she returned to the Royal Navy in 2017, Babcock has continued to extend the life of the Type 23 fleet.

Babcock says that their recent milestones across the programme have included HMS Somerset achieving ready for sea date and commencing Sea Trials earlier this year, HMS Iron Duke recently undocking to continue her upkeep within 2 Basin and HMS St Albans preparing to flood up later this month.

Source UKDJ
HMS Pelican 1938 - 1958 GGCV L86 U86 F86 What I Have I Hold ~ A wonderful bird is the Pelican its beak can hold more than its belly can.
Pelican

Unread post by Pelican »

Slow motion video via HMS Kent

Firing a Sting Ray Training Variant Torpedo, proving the pneumatic Magazine Torpedo Launch System during recent trials period.
See - https://twitter.com/NavyLookout/status/ ... 8875655168
HMS Pelican 1938 - 1958 GGCV L86 U86 F86 What I Have I Hold ~ A wonderful bird is the Pelican its beak can hold more than its belly can.
Pelican

Unread post by Pelican »

Recovery of KENT's Training Variant Stingray Torpedo after firing

See - https://twitter.com/hms_kent/status/1573187499526078464
Pelican

Unread post by Pelican »

HMS Richmond arriving at the Manhattan Cruise Terminal, New York yesterday

See - https://twitter.com/NavyLookout/status/ ... 1110188033
Pelican

Unread post by Pelican »

HMS_Westminster sailed from Gibraltar and entered Devonport in foul weather on Friday.

She will soon be handed over to Babcock ahead of major refit and rejoin the fleet as a Devonport-based ship in 2024.
Pelican

Unread post by Pelican »

Babcock awarded contract contract for Type 23 Frigates

https://ukdefencejournal.org.uk/babcock ... aFxffYZ0LQ
Pelican

Unread post by Pelican »

British frigate weapon systems to be upgraded

Magazine Torpedo Launch Systems onboard the Royal Navy’s Type 23 frigates will be upgraded in a £34 million contract awarded by the Ministry of Defence.
During the next five years, Royal Navy ships will undergo a series of technical upgrades to their Magazine Torpedo Launch Systems and threat countermeasure capabilities, the latter of which will help ensure the ships continue to counter the threat of hostile anti-ship missiles, say the Ministry of Defence here.
Continues at - https://ukdefencejournal.org.uk/british ... -upgraded/
Pelican

Unread post by Pelican »

HMS LANCASTER conducts gunery exercise with 30mm Automated Small Calibre Gun in the Med.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Pelican

Unread post by Pelican »

HMS Kent undergoes MOT ahead of autumn operations

Frigate HMS Kent has undergone an ‘MOT’ to ensure she’s ready for the next stage of her autumn operations.
The Portsmouth-based ship had a series of deep-dive checks at a NATO facility in Stavanger, Norway.
The Operational Capability Confidence Checks make sure Kent’s weapons, sensors, radars, navigation aids and other key operating systems are working and up to scratch.
Over the course of a week, the dynamic tests and trials were carried out in the picturesque fjords of Norway.
Kent’s primary role is to conduct anti-submarine warfare and a major focus of the assessment was to ensure her cutting-edge submarine detection equipment remains fully capable.
Upon completion of the trials, the ship’s company made best use of the weekend alongside in Stavanger to rest and recuperate after a busy first stage to the deployment. Many of the team undertook the energetic four-hour hike to the top of Pulpit Rock. [Pictured in link below.]

https://www.royalnavy.mod.uk/news-and-l ... D1DcNCwyKU
Pelican

Unread post by Pelican »

SEA, a maritime defence system supplier, will provide the Royal Navy’s Type 23 frigates with an upgrade to the torpedo launcher and countermeasures systems as part of a major new contract.

Valued at £34m, which also includes through-life support for the systems, this is the largest single contract won by SEA to date.
“Securing this contract means that its Torpedo Launcher Systems are in service across the entire UK Type 23 Royal Navy Class, and its countermeasures system across the Type 23, Royal Fleet Auxiliary, Albion, and Type 45 Classes. As primary supplier to the UK Ministry of Defence (MOD), SEA will upgrade the Royal Navy’s torpedo launcher systems to provide next generation capability.
This will see the Royal Navy further benefit from SEA’s weapon-agnostic Torpedo Launcher System, which is also in service with a number of navies across the globe. As part of this contract, and as the legacy design authority for the countermeasures technical refresh, SEA will upgrade the ships’ countermeasure capability with a new fixed barrel system to provide an effective response to modern naval threats.”
The contract will also see SEA provide in-service support for these systems across the UK naval fleet. Initially, this is a five-year programme, with extension options, and is in addition to a significant support framework contract previously awarded to the company by the UK MOD, covering sub-systems in the undersea battlespace domain.
Richard Flitton, Managing Director at SEA, was quoted as saying
“This contract underlines SEA’s proven track record of delivering, upgrading, and sustaining high-end maritime capabilities and providing open and weapon-agnostic capabilities. The maritime battlespace is evolving faster and becoming more complex, requiring these operationally flexible solutions that can adapt to the changing nature of the threat.
Upgrading the lightweight torpedo launcher systems and installing new countermeasure capabilities will provide the Royal Navy with the ability to rapidly defend itself against these threats. This major contract, SEA’s largest to date, demonstrates the systems knowledge and maritime domain expertise within our UK-based team and builds on our long-standing partnership with the Royal Navy.”
SEA is an independent subsidiary of the defence technology group, Cohort plc. Andy Thomis, Cohort’s Chief Executive said:
“Through this contract SEA is supporting the Royal Navy to defend itself against the real threat it faces today. This contract adds to the significant amount of work that the Group has been doing for the UK MOD as a major supplier for the UK Armed Forces. In the past 5 years we are proud to have delivered a variety of equipment, systems, and services, both direct and indirectly, to the British Armed Forces.”

Source UKDJ
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic

Return to “Royal Navy”