RN Frigates: Type 23 Duke Class

Add your posts about Royal Navy ships in this section
Pelican

Re: RN Frigates: Type 23 Duke Class

Unread post by Pelican »

Two British frigates to be gifted to Greece

The Times has reported here that HMS Monmouth and HMS Montrose, two Type 23 Frigates vessels, will be given to Greece as part of efforts to ‘sweeten the deal’ to sell the Greek Navy the Type 31 design.

“Two of Britain’s aged and retiring warships are to be offered to the Hellenic Navy to help Babcock International win a multibillion-pound deal with Greece to build new frigates and upgrade its fleet.”

In March it was announced that Montrose as well as sister ship Monmouth would be decommissioned earlier than planned as part of defence’s Integrated Review. As of 2021, Montrose remained deployed East of Suez but was scheduled to return to the UK in 2022, five years earlier than previously planned. As for HMS Monmouth, the long laid-up Type 23 Frigate has now left the fleet leaving the Royal Navy with 12 frigates.

Continues at - https://ukdefencejournal.org.uk/two-bri ... ok3HL2-G9s
HMS Pelican 1938 - 1958 GGCV L86 U86 F86 What I Have I Hold ~ A wonderful bird is the Pelican its beak can hold more than its belly can.
Brian James

Unread post by Brian James »

Decommissioned Duke Class Type 23 Frigate HMS Monmouth pictured in Number 4 Tidal Basin at Devonport. Pennant numbers painted out, awaiting disposal..August 2nd 2021.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Brian James

Unread post by Brian James »

Type 23 or Duke Class Frigate HMS Richmond pictured as she arrived at U.S. Fleet Activities Sasebo on Saturday for the first of several planned port visits in Japan by units of the UK Carrier Strike Group during their Indo-Pacific deployment.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Pelican

Unread post by Pelican »

How many Type 23 Frigates are operational?

The Ministry of Defence have confirmed that of the 12 Type 23 frigates in service in the Royal Navy, 8 are operationally available.
The information came to light via a Parliamentary question.
Continues at - https://ukdefencejournal.org.uk/how-man ... erational/
HMS Pelican 1938 - 1958 GGCV L86 U86 F86 What I Have I Hold ~ A wonderful bird is the Pelican its beak can hold more than its belly can.
Pelican

Unread post by Pelican »

HMS Portland ready for the front-line after extensive refit

HMS Portland hosted a ceremony at Devonport today to mark her return to the Royal Navy fleet after an extensive refurbishment and upgrade.

The Type 23’s overhaul was completed by Babcock International at the dockyard and now the warship looks toward front-line operations once more.

The the ship is the first of her class to have her electric propulsion motors removed, rewired and replaced, while the Sea Wolf missile system has been ripped out and Sea Ceptor installed in its place.

The 997 surveillance and 1084 navigational radars have been added too, plus the new to Royal Navy 2150 hull mounted sonar to sharpen her anti-submarine warfare teeth.

For good measure, machinery and IT systems on board have also been overhauled, as well as mess decks redesigned from their original 1980s layouts, meeting the needs and expectations of today’s sailors.
Full article and photos at - https://www.royalnavy.mod.uk/news-and-l ... operations
Pelican

Unread post by Pelican »

Royal Navy 'ghost ship' HMS Monmouth returns to Portsmouth to face an uncertain future

THE Royal Navy frigate HMS Monmouth is being towed back into Portsmouth today as a ‘ghost ship’ to face an uncertain future after being decommissioned.
See - https://www.portsmouth.co.uk/news/defen ... re-3380537
Link from Tim.
Pelican

Unread post by Pelican »

Pelican wrote: Mon Sep 13, 2021 5:06 pm Royal Navy 'ghost ship' HMS Monmouth returns to Portsmouth to face an uncertain future

THE Royal Navy frigate HMS Monmouth is being towed back into Portsmouth today as a ‘ghost ship’ to face an uncertain future after being decommissioned.
See - https://www.portsmouth.co.uk/news/defen ... re-3380537
Link from Tim.
Navy Lookout

Ex-HMS Monmouth towed in Portsmouth this morning to be handed over to the Disposal and Reserve Ships Organisation – (DRSO) pending decision on her fate.
See - https://twitter.com/NavyLookout/status/ ... 13/photo/1 - 3 photos.
Pelican

Unread post by Pelican »

UK to arm Type 23 Frigate with laser weapon

DSEI 2021 – The Ministry of Defence have announced that Thales will develop and fit a directed energy weapon to a Type 23 frigate in order to test the system.

The first laser system will undergo user testing onboard a Royal Navy Type 23 frigate by detecting, tracking, engaging and countering Unmanned Aerial Vehicles, whilst the British Army’s Wolfhound armoured vehicle will host a laser demonstrator that will investigate capability against UAV and other air threats.

Additionally, the radio frequency demonstrator will also be used by the British Army, hosted on a MAN SV truck to detect and track a variety of air, land and sea targets. This will create around 30 new jobs at Thales in Belfast, Northern Ireland.

“The MoD has awarded three contracts worth around £72.5 million to UK industry to produce advanced laser and radio frequency demonstrators as part of the Novel Weapons Programme. Known collectively as Directed Energy Weapons (DEW), these next-generation technologies could revolutionise the battlefield and reduce the risk of collateral damage. The systems are powered by electricity and operate without ammunition, significantly reducing operating costs, increasing platform endurance and providing unprecedented offensive and defensive flexibility to personnel on the frontline.”

Awarded to consortia headed by Thales and Raytheon UK, the four-year contracts will create at least 49 new jobs and sustain 249 jobs.

Minister for Defence Procurement, Jeremy Quin, said:
“We are investing £6.6 billion in research and development across Defence over the next four years, reaffirming our commitment to provide the Armed Forces with truly advanced capabilities. Directed Energy Weapons are a key element of our future equipment programmes and we intend to become a world-leader in the research, manufacture and implementation of this next-generation technology.”

The Ministry ofDefence say that these capabilities will be integrated onto existing platforms for the Royal Navy and British Army and will undergo user experimentation from 2023 to 2025.

Source UKDJ
ivorthediver

Unread post by ivorthediver »

that's fine provided we have half a crown to put in the meter ;)
"What Ever Floats your Boat"
Pelican

Unread post by Pelican »

Navy Lookout

HMS Argyll due to conduct live firing of Sea Ceptor during upcoming exercise Joint Warrior - JW2121.
She will begin refit in April 2022 to extend her life until c2026.
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic

Return to “Royal Navy”