RN Frigates: Type 23 Duke Class

Add your posts about Royal Navy ships in this section
Pelican

Re: RN Frigates: Type 23 Duke Class

Unread post by Pelican »

UK to arm Type 23 Frigate with laser weapon

DSEI 2021 – The Ministry of Defence have announced that Thales will develop and fit a directed energy weapon to a Type 23 frigate in order to test the system.

The first laser system will undergo user testing onboard a Royal Navy Type 23 frigate by detecting, tracking, engaging and countering Unmanned Aerial Vehicles, whilst the British Army’s Wolfhound armoured vehicle will host a laser demonstrator that will investigate capability against UAV and other air threats.

Additionally, the radio frequency demonstrator will also be used by the British Army, hosted on a MAN SV truck to detect and track a variety of air, land and sea targets. This will create around 30 new jobs at Thales in Belfast, Northern Ireland.

“The MoD has awarded three contracts worth around £72.5 million to UK industry to produce advanced laser and radio frequency demonstrators as part of the Novel Weapons Programme. Known collectively as Directed Energy Weapons (DEW), these next-generation technologies could revolutionise the battlefield and reduce the risk of collateral damage. The systems are powered by electricity and operate without ammunition, significantly reducing operating costs, increasing platform endurance and providing unprecedented offensive and defensive flexibility to personnel on the frontline.”

Awarded to consortia headed by Thales and Raytheon UK, the four-year contracts will create at least 49 new jobs and sustain 249 jobs.

Minister for Defence Procurement, Jeremy Quin, said:

“We are investing £6.6 billion in research and development across Defence over the next four years, reaffirming our commitment to provide the Armed Forces with truly advanced capabilities. Directed Energy Weapons are a key element of our future equipment programmes and we intend to become a world-leader in the research, manufacture and implementation of this next-generation technology.”

The Ministry ofDefence say that these capabilities will be integrated onto existing platforms for the Royal Navy and British Army and will undergo user experimentation from 2023 to 2025.

Source UKDJ
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
HMS Pelican 1938 - 1958 GGCV L86 U86 F86 What I Have I Hold ~ A wonderful bird is the Pelican its beak can hold more than its belly can.
Pelican

Unread post by Pelican »

HMS Westminster’s Atlantic autumn as frigate searches for submarines

Frigate HMS Westminster has spent the autumn in the grey wastes of the Atlantic on the unsung, unseen mission to keep an eye on submarines.

The Portsmouth-based warship has been at sea almost constantly, guarding the UK’s ‘back yard’ and working with our allies to monitor any potential threats lurking in the depths.

Westminster is the nation’s very tip of the submarine hunting spear – the first ship naval leaders turn to for anti-submarine operations, due to the combination of the equipment aboard and the experience of the men and women operating them.

As the Royal Navy’s TAPS – the Towed-Array Patrol Ship – she’s part of a comprehensive protective ring around waters key to the UK’s interests, determined to keep the prying eyes of hostile submarines at bay.

The newest addition to that ring is the Poseidon P8 Maritime Patrol Aircraft, now in service with the RAF at Lossiemouth.

Westminster worked extensively with both the RAF P8s and their US equivalent which operate from Keflavik in Iceland.

Continues at - https://www.royalnavy.mod.uk/news-and-l ... submarines
HMS Pelican 1938 - 1958 GGCV L86 U86 F86 What I Have I Hold ~ A wonderful bird is the Pelican its beak can hold more than its belly can.
Pelican

Unread post by Pelican »

NORTHUMBERLAND - Navy Lookout

New Series of "Warship Life at Sea” filmed on HMS Northumberland.
Starts channel 5 tv next Monday - 3rd Jan at 2100.
Video clip at - https://twitter.com/NavyLookout/status/ ... 8070754308
emason

Unread post by emason »

]Milestone for Royal Navy as HMS Montrose spends 1,000 days at sea

Warship has been on operations continuously since April 2019, as tensions in the Gulf require ‘persistent presence'
HMS Montrose.jpg

A Royal Navy warship has reached a record 1,000 days at sea as tensions in the Gulf require a “persistent” presence.

HMS Montrose, a Type 23 frigate, has been on operations in the Gulf region continuously since April 11 2019.

The ship, with 200 sailors and Royal Marines on board, has worked with other British and allied vessels to counter what the Ministry of Defence (MoD) says are “regional challenges” from Iran.

The frigate has safeguarded shipping, kept sea lanes open and stopped drug trafficking in waters stretching to the Horn of Africa.

Commodore Ed Ahlgren, the senior Royal Navy officer in the region said: “I am delighted to mark 1,000 days of HMS Montrose in theatre.

“She has had many successes whilst in the region, including narcotics seizures and maintaining free and safe passage for shipping around three of the busiest trade chokepoints in the world.”

HMS Montrose is part of a Royal Navy trial to deploy major warships around the world for several years at a time, with crews being flown to and from the UK.

Patrol ships have since been committed to the Caribbean, Mediterranean and, most recently, Asia-Pacific region on extended missions.
‘Immensely proud’

Commander Claire Thompson, Commanding Officer of Montrose’s Starboard Crew, who are in charge of the ship until spring, said: “I am immensely proud of what both crews have achieved during the past three years.

“Our enduring presence in this region has shown the commitment the UK has to ensure the stability and security of the Gulf region along with our allies.

“This couldn’t be achieved without the commitment of our personnel and their support from their families back home.”

The Royal Navy’s support facility at the Bahraini port of Mina Salman, opened in 2018, has enabled warships to operate for longer in the region without having to return to Britain every six months for routine maintenance.

The Royal Navy said the new crewing model has been designed to “spare warships the lengthy passage to and from Britain, time which could be spent on patrol in the Middle East”.

HMS Montrose is the first major warship to adopt the dual-crew rotational manning model.

Retired Royal Navy Commander Tom Sharpe said the new system was cheaper and allowed the crews to work harder when deployed for “short bursts”.

“Tasking has not got narrower just because they’re there for longer,” he told the Telegraph.

“The fuel that would be used to and from the UK is wasted fuel; there's a lot of fuel going into just getting the ship home.

“We must get away from the old model of thinking only a permanent ship’s company provides cohesion.

“This is not lessening the value of the cap badge.”

Last year’s Defence Command Paper, the most recent MoD strategy, said: “to pursue our foreign policy objectives…we will rebalance our force to provide a more proactive, forward deployed, persistent presence”.

Mr Sharpe said the new leadership of the Royal Navy - after former First Sea Lord Admiral Sir Tony Radakin was made Chief of the Defence Staff last year - are reviewing the manning model to see if the experience from HMS Montrose represented “best practice”.

“The new First Sea Lord (Admiral Sir Ben Key) must make a decision soon on how much further this model is deployed,” he said.

https://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/2022/0 ... -days-sea/
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Best wishes
Bill
Pelican

Unread post by Pelican »

NORTHUMBERLAND

In the ops room at the moment HMS Northumberland 's towed array sonar was struck by Russian Submarine. (Arctic Circle, Autumn 2020)

"Warship Life at Sea” Episode 2 Monday 10th Jan at 2100 on Channel Five.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=m_95goEGWMs

From Navy Lookout.
Pelican

Unread post by Pelican »

HMS Northumberland gets up close with a Russian submarine

The 3rd series of the Channel Five TV documentary Warship – Life at Sea, following HMS Northumberland on patrol inside the Arctic Circle, has revealed a Russian SSN collided with her towed array sonar. Here we take an overview of events and their context.

See - https://www.navylookout.com/hms-northum ... submarine/

Includes description of 'towed array.'
Pelican

Unread post by Pelican »

Pelican wrote: Fri Jan 07, 2022 5:56 pm HMS Northumberland gets up close with a Russian submarine

The 3rd series of the Channel Five TV documentary Warship – Life at Sea, following HMS Northumberland on patrol inside the Arctic Circle, has revealed a Russian SSN collided with her towed array sonar. Here we take an overview of events and their context.

https://twitter.com/Mark_Tatts/status/1 ... 9343919105
Pelican

Unread post by Pelican »

Pelican wrote: Fri Jan 07, 2022 5:56 pm HMS Northumberland gets up close with a Russian submarine

Tweet from - SubBrief:
The only Northern Fleet nuclear submarine to complete a deployment in 2020, K-335 is my top candidate for the interaction with HMS Northumberland. 'Gepard' (Cheetah) completed an 88-day deployment resulting in 13 state awards to the crew.

[SubBrief - The most comprehensive submarine history online.]
Pelican

Unread post by Pelican »

Pelican wrote: Sat Jan 08, 2022 10:45 pm

Tweet from - SubBrief:
The only Northern Fleet nuclear submarine to complete a deployment in 2020, K-335 is my top candidate for the interaction with HMS Northumberland. 'Gepard' (Cheetah) completed an 88-day deployment resulting in 13 state awards to the crew.

[SubBrief - The most comprehensive submarine history online.]

Navy Lookout

During episode broadcast tonight, HMS NORT CO mentioned “14,000 tons of Russian submarine” - consistent with approximate submerged dispacement of Akula III class ‘Gepard’.
Pelican

Unread post by Pelican »

Trailer: Episode 3 ‘Warship Life at Sea'

https://twitter.com/NavyLookout/status/ ... 3830406145
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic

Return to “Royal Navy”