Norwegian Navy

Add your posts about Other Navies, not already listed, here
Pelican

Re: Norwegian Navy

Unread post by Pelican »

Minor fire on board submarine HNoMS Utstein yesterday while operating off Norwegian coast. Returned to harbour under own power and 3 submariners taken to hospital but no serious injuries reported.

See - https://www.forsvaretsforum.no/sjo-sjof ... bat/346783
Library photo attached.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
HMS Pelican 1938 - 1958 GGCV L86 U86 F86 What I Have I Hold ~ A wonderful bird is the Pelican its beak can hold more than its belly can.
Pelican

Unread post by Pelican »

Navy Lookout
The Type 26 frigate design is a very strong contender for the 🇳🇴 Norwegian Navy's requirement for 6 ASW ships

Naval News
The Royal Norwegian Navy is looking for international naval and industrial partners to help deliver and support its prospective future frigate:
https://www.navalnews.com/naval-news/20 ... e-frigate/
HMS Pelican 1938 - 1958 GGCV L86 U86 F86 What I Have I Hold ~ A wonderful bird is the Pelican its beak can hold more than its belly can.
Brian James

Unread post by Brian James »

Norwegian Coast Guard, Jan Mayen Class OPV KV Bjørnøya pictured during Exercise 'Nordic Response 2024' on March 7th 2024.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Pelican

Unread post by Pelican »

International women’s day

Captain (later Commodore) Solveig Krey, Norwegian Navy. In 1995 she became the first female commander of a submarine in the world.
How far has the would come since then?
Pelican

Unread post by Pelican »

‘Strong bond’ with Norway honoured as naval cadets visit Scalloway

A CEREMONY was held at the Shetland Bus memorial in Scalloway this morning (Thursday) as Norwegian naval academy cadets visit Shetland.

The cadets are in Shetland on board the sail training vessel Statsraad Lehmkuhl.

The event heard speeches, including from representative of the Shetland Bus Friendship Society councillor Stephen Leask, while wreathes were laid too.

He paid tribute to the strong bond between Shetland and Norway.

“The brave men remembered here fought for the freedom of their nation, and this gathering today celebrates the commitment made by our young Norwegian visitors who continue to cherish and honour that freedom,” Leask said.

The Shetland Bus operation played a crucial role during the World War II German occupation of Norway.

Under the cover of darkness, a group of small boats – collectively known as the Shetland Bus – ferried people and weapons between Shetland and Norway, with Scalloway used as a port.

Initially it operated informally using fishing boats, before it then became a formal part of the war effort completing more than 200 trips.

Not all of those trips were successful, and 44 lives were lost during the crossings. However, the introduction of sub-chaser ships in 1943 brought an end to the fatalities.

The Shetland Bus memorial, which pays tribute to the 44 crewmen lost on the missions and has a model of a fishing boat used in the operation, sits just along the road from the Prince Olav slipway where vessels were repaired.

Work to reconstruct the slipway and a cradle there to honour the Shetland Bus operation and act as a historical wartime exhibit is progressing.

See - https://www.shetnews.co.uk/2024/03/14/w ... -honoured/ - LFT
And links towards foot of article.
Brian James

Unread post by Brian James »

Original blueprint for Tordenskjold Class Coastal Defense Ship HNoMS Harald Haarfagre, she was built at Sir W G Armstrong, Mitchell & Co, Low Walker Shipyards at Elswick, Newcastle-upon-Tyne and commissioned in 1898, she performed ordinary duties until she was considered "unfit for war"in the mid-1930s and disarmed. After the German invasion of Norway, she was seized by the Germans and rebuilt as a floating flak battery under the name Thetis. After the war she was used briefly as a floating barracks, and for transporting German POWs before she was sold for breaking in 1948.
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic

Return to “Other Navies”