Guided Missile Cruisers: Ticonderoga Class

Add your posts about the US Navy in this section
Little h

Re: Guided Missile Cruisers: Ticonderoga Class

Unread post by Little h »

Aegis Combat System

Description:

The Aegis weapons system is a surface-to-air integrated weapons system. It is designed to defend the fleet against any airborne threat. The heart of the Aegis system is the AN/SPY-1 Phased-array radar system coupled with the AN/UYK-1 high-speed computer system. This combination is able to detect incoming missiles or aircraft, sort them by assigning a threat value, assign on-board Standard surface-to-air missiles, and guide the missiles to their targets. Aegis can track up to 100 targets at any given time. The radar panels are flat structures, mounted to give 360 degree coverage around the ship. These are an improvement over the old rotating type of radar in that there are no moving parts. The old rotating radar covered ONLY the area they were scanning. Phased arrays switch rapidly and cover the entire range around the ship in milliseconds.
--------------------

AEGIS is currently carried aboard 2 types of ships. The TICONDEROGA-class cruisers were the first. These ships are often fitted with 2 MK 41 VLS. They can carry up to 122 missiles of all types, including Tomahawk, Standard and SLAM. These ships carry a "full" AEGIS System.

The above taken from Unofficial US Navy website where the full text can be read.

Attachment
The first phased array radar for the Aegis Combat System is lifted aboard the guided missile cruiser TICONDEROGA (CG-47)

As can be seen in the attachment above, each of the arrays are of considerable size.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Little h
Little h

SPY-1(V) (AEGIS),

Technical Data - Dimensions

Array face:
Metric ................US
3.5 x 3.5 m ... 11.5 x 11.5 ft

Weight (Above Decks)
SPY-1A: 5,915 kg 13,030 lb
SPY-1B: 3,587 kg 7,900 lb

Weight (Below Decks)
SPY-1A: 59,739 kg 131,584 lb

Attachment
Although not the installation on the Ticonderoga Class the image is included to give some indication of the size of the AN/ SPY-1D(V) arrays (1 of 4) mounted in the RAN AWD ships.
Hobart_class_AWD_Royal_Australian_Navy_1.jpg

.... so; a lot of array to become misaligned as reported to be the case in the Port Royal grounding.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Little h
ivorthediver

Unread post by ivorthediver »

Yes I see what you mean Harry , thats a lot of weight topside and beneath , and has she not got provision for a towed array on the starboard stern section ? or am I reading more into it than there is please . :?:
"What Ever Floats your Boat"
Little h

ivorthediver wrote: Fri Nov 09, 2018 9:44 am Yes I see what you mean Harry , thats a lot of weight topside and beneath , and has she not got provision for a towed array on the starboard stern section ? or am I reading more into it than there is please . :?:
Towed Array Sonar type AN/SQR-19B (or a variant/successor of/to same)

Not sure what you were reading into the weights Ivor. My intention was to give an indication of the size and weight of the aerial/antenna arrays associated with the AEGIS system.

Can't recall if it was one or more of these arrays that required realignment as a consequence of the Port Royal grounding incident.
Little h
ivorthediver

Unread post by ivorthediver »

No its me Harry , I was referring to the Port Royal stern .....Senior moment :oops:
"What Ever Floats your Boat"
Brian James

Unread post by Brian James »

Ticonderoga Class Aegis Guided Missile Cruiser USS Lake Champlain pictured in April 2017.
Brian James

Ticonderoga Class Guided Missile Cruiser USS Mobile Bay pictured as she transits the Strait of Hormuz, April 7th, 2019.
Brian James

Ticonderoga Class Guided Missile Cruiser USS Chancellorsville pictured with USS Ronald Reagan,off the North Queensland Coast,June 30th 2019.
Brian James

Ticonderoga Class Guided Missile Cruiser USS Leyte Gulf pictured underway in the Arabian Sea while assigned to Abraham Lincoln Carrier Strike Group,December 10th, 2019.
Brian James

Flight-I,Ticonderoga Class Guided Missile Cruiser USS Thomas S Gates pictured with Oliver Hazard Perry Class Guided Missile Frigate USS Kauffman at Sevastopol,August 4th 1989.
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic

Return to “United States Navy”