RN Destroyers: Z Class 1943

Add your posts about Royal Navy ships in this section
jbryce1437

RN Destroyers: Z Class 1943

Unread post by jbryce1437 »

The Z Class of the Emergency War Programme destroyers was a Class of eight destroyers, with Myngs as Flotilla Leader, the rest were: Zephyr, Zambesi, Zealous, Zebra, Zenith, Zest and Zodiac. Myngs and Zenith were later transferred to Egypt as El Qaher and El Fateh. Zealous and Zodiac were later transferred to Israel as Eilat and Yaffo. Zebra, Zephyr and Zambesi were broken up in 1958/9. Zest was converted to a Type 15 Anti Submarine Frigates post-war - see this thread.
Some Class photos:

Myngs
hms myngs dated 61947.jpg
hms myngs undated.jpg
hms myngs seen as leader of the 2nd training flotilla portland dated 91950.jpg
hms myngs,seen at portsmouth as leader of the 4th.d.f.,home fleet,dated 81946.jpg
hms myngs, during ww2,undated.jpg

Zambesi
hms zambesi ,dated 21946.jpg
HMS%20Zambesi[1].jpg
hms zambesi seen while attached to the 3rd sm flotilla dated 61951.jpg
zambesi-(1944)-stb.side.jpg

Zealous
zealous-(1943)-stb.qtr ply.jpg
hms zealous,during ww2.jpg
hms zealous,at malta as israeli elath,dated 21965.jpg

Zebra
HMS-Zebra-R81.jpg
1429572_Cleopatra-Zebra[1].jpg

Zenith
1283142_HMS-Zenith-R95[1].jpg
hms zenith built by wm denny & bros dumbarton completed 22121944.jpg
el fateh egyptian navy ex zenith.jpg

Zephyr
hms zephyr ,as completed,undated.jpg
zephyr0001[1].jpg
hms zephyr as leader of the 2nd training flotilla dated 31949.jpg
zephyr-1950.jpg

Zest
1287446_Zest-R02[1].jpg
Flotila alongside in Lisbon Zest and Zephyr from Zambesi.jpg
hms zest ,during ww2.jpg
zest-1951.jpg
zest and nonsuch.jpg

Zodiac
hms zodiac during ww2 undated.jpg
hms zodiac dated 1952.jpg
zodiac-1949.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
HMS Raleigh 1963 , HMS Collingwood 1963 & 67 , HMS Ark Royal 1964-7, HMS Undaunted 1968-71, HMS Victory (Fleet Maintenance Group) 1971-72, HMS Exmouth 1972-74
JEM, EM, OEM, LOEM, POOEL
Then 28 years in the Fire Brigade
Retired since 2002
ivorthediver

Re: RN Destroyers: Z Class

Unread post by ivorthediver »

Remember Zest very well........ as its detailed photo's of her that I used to build Troubridge from,.. will keep an eye open for a picture of her when I go to the boat show , but thats a few years ago now and the model my not exist anymore :(
"What Ever Floats your Boat"
timlewin

Re: RN Destroyers: Z Class 1943

Unread post by timlewin »

its only when you see the size of the screws on these destroyers that you understand how much power they needed to run them up to 30+ knots, as in El Fatah in dry-dock...

here is my only Z picture, Myngs; I think I mentioned earlier somewhere else that the Admiralty ordered ship in Flotillas of 8, each with a name beginning with the next letter of the alphabet, flotillas were made up of 2 divisions, a leader for one and all, a half leader for the second division. Leaders confusingly did not use the sequential letter, as in Hardy, leader of the V-flotilla, and here, Myngs as leader of the Z-flotilla. Leaders had the broad black band round the funnel, half-leaders a half size black band. Leaders also did not, for a time, display pennant numbers on the flanks.

strictly speaking these flotillas were not actually classes, all these flotillas were the same class, "Emergency Class" destroyers the actual ships were 99% the same, I say 99% because each builder had certain foibles in final details but the main scheme of construction was the same. The C-Ca & Ch destroyers which followed the Z-flotilla, they ran out of letters precedent after working their way from Amazon to Zephyr (with the Tribals and a few odd ones in between) so had to move on to new flotilla designation but the ships were pretty much the same design.

Amazon to Ivanhoe (to use John English's book title describing the earlier pre-war destroyers) were different in being smaller, lighter and having their accommodation inconveniently arranges in the Nelsonian manner of officers aft, men forrard. They were much closer in concept to the V&W class. The Emergency destroyers rearranged this so the officers lived below the bridge and everyone was closer to their place of work avoiding the danger of going overboard on their way to the office. The Emergencies were significantly bigger, longer-legged much more comfortable although comfort is a very relative term. The Type 15 conversions were even better in this respect because the actually had internal passage from bow to stern, the Burma Road.

The next group of "classic" destroyers to follow the "C"s was the Battles which were still larger and heavier taking advantage of turret mounted main guns, 4.5 instead of 4.7 but with a slightly heftier projectile, they had an extra 10,000 SHP to push their added bulk along at the 30+ kts required but by the end of the 1950 were generally speaking already obsolete, but they are another story.

The Admiralty moves in mysterious ways its wonders to perform.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic

Return to “Royal Navy”