Weapons Engineering - Gunnery and Missile Systems

Post anything relating to Weapons Engineering on this thread
Pelican

Re: Weapons Engineering - Gunnery and Missile Systems

Unread post by Pelican »

More details emerge about plan to replace Royal Navy Harpoon anti-ship missile
This week the MoD Weapons, Torpedoes, Tomahawk and Harpoon (TTH) Project Team issued a Contract Notice (CN) which outlines more of the requirements for a new weapon to replace the Harpoon Block 1C anti-ship missiles.

In March 2019 the MoD issued a Prior Information Notice (PIN), not a formal request for tender but a document that sets out their general requirements to potential contractors. This provided reassurance the obsolete Harpoon 1C would actually be replaced by an interim purchase. Until 2017 the RN had accepted that budget pressures meant Harpoon would go out of service in 2020 with no replacement. The retirement date was pushed back to 2023 and now funding has been secured to replace the system, at least on a modest scale.

The PIN states the available budget would be up to £200M, enough to buy a stock of missiles, logistic and training support until the FCASW is available in the early 2030s. (The Future Cruise and Anti-Ship Weapon is an Anglo-French project to replace a variety of long-range missiles with new generation technology, it is unclear, as yet if it will be capable of hypersonic speeds or another subsonic stealthy cruise missile). As a critical bi-lateral international project, it is important to signal to the French that I-SSGW will only be a small purchase to cover a 10-year capability gap and does not mean the UK is losing interest in FCASW.

The contract notice, issued on 19th August says the Interim Surface to Surface Guided Weapon (I-SSGW) is to provide “a ship-launched, over-the-horizon precision anti-ship capability and a terrain-following precision maritime land attack capability.” The desire for land-attack capability is sound and but adds another dimension to the project. Although the deterrence factor of having the ability to sink other ships is critical, recent history suggests we are much more likely to need to hit inland targets than attack shipping. The RN’s limited stock of Tomahawk Land Attack Missiles (TLAM) can only be fired from submarines. On a good day, the RN is able to put only 2 or 3 SSNs to sea and they have a multitude of other pressing tasks. The RN’s land-attack capability has been used in several conflicts and is a powerful tool but may require the SSN to loiter in suitable firing area for some time. Frigates able to attack land targets offers greater flexibility and an alternative, if less stealthy, option. Many modern AShM feature land-attack modes already so this would be a big gain for little extra cost.

It should be noted that TLAM is more powerful than the AShM hybrids and has a 1,000lb warhead and a range of about 900nm. The RAF’s Storm Shadow has a 450kg warhead optimised for bunker-busting so I-SSGW would complete a suite of UK land-attack weapons, each with its own advantages.

Continues with images at - https://www.savetheroyalnavy.org/more-d ... T8uBwTeK2Q

Also:
The MoD are looking for missile with ship launched over the horizon precision anti-ship capability and a terrain following precision maritime land attack capability.
The MoD Weapons, Torpedoes, Tomahawk and Harpoon Project Team (the TTH project team) advise they are looking to outfit five Royal Navy vessels, the Type 23 Frigates, with the systems.
Continues at - https://ukdefencejournal.org.uk/mod-fur ... RUoAKN7QX0
HMS Pelican 1938 - 1958 GGCV L86 U86 F86 What I Have I Hold ~ A wonderful bird is the Pelican its beak can hold more than its belly can.
Brian James

Unread post by Brian James »

Baltimore Class Heavy Cruiser USS Los Angeles seen firing an SSM-N-8 Regulus I missile.USS Ticonderoga is visible in the right background, converted Missile Test Ship USS Norton Sound (Ex Currituck Class Seaplane Tender) is visible behind the crane,August 7th 1957.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Little h

Unread post by Little h »

Observed on Battle Class Destroyers; in a 1949 Pathe News film clip posted by Tim in the 'RN Destroyers: Battle Class - Early Designs & Subsequent Conversions' thread.
Screenshot (5455) copy.png
Screenshot (5454) copy.png

Has anybody ever see appendages (like those arrowed in red) projecting from atop both 'A' & 'B' twin 4.5" gun turrets on this class of destroyer?
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Little h
Pelican

Unread post by Pelican »

RE:
Has anybody ever see appendages (like those arrowed in red) projecting from atop both 'A' & 'B' twin 4.5" gun turrets on this class of destroyer?
Little h

Yours passed to Tim for comment Harry who has come back with the following:
"Thanks David, didnt see this one yet, I would suggest they are the focsle awning stanchions as they are exercising in the Med. the 4th DF was a Malta outfit at that time (Corunna was herself a Chatham ship). When back at Sliema the awnings would go up again so no need to remove the supports for a few days at sea, what do you think?"
P.S. A p.s. from Tim:
"Thanks David, pretty sure its correct, a single strut in the middle of A and one each side of B"
HMS Pelican 1938 - 1958 GGCV L86 U86 F86 What I Have I Hold ~ A wonderful bird is the Pelican its beak can hold more than its belly can.
Little h

Pelican wrote: Thu Nov 07, 2019 4:23 pm RE:
Little h

Yours passed to Tim for comment Harry who has come back with the following:
"Thanks David, didnt see this one yet, I would suggest they are the focsle awning stanchions as they are exercising in the Med. the 4th DF was a Malta outfit at that time (Corunna was herself a Chatham ship). When back at Sliema the awnings would go up again so no need to remove the supports for a few days at sea, what do you think?"
P.S. A p.s. from Tim:
"Thanks David, pretty sure its correct, a single strut in the middle of A and one each side of B"
David,

Using a photograph previously posted by yourself in the RN Destroyers: Battle Class - Early Designs & Subsequent Conversions thread - Post by Pelican » Wed Aug 29, 2018 12:01 pm ..... I gave it a bit of 'treatment' in an attempt to see into the shadow cast by the focsle awning ... especially where/how the lighting spine went over 'A' turret.
c4.jpg
c4 (2).jpg

The result is not totally conclusive but your mate Tim might be onto something - I can't remember how that central awning support/lighting spine was rigged on/under the foscle awning :oops:
Little h
timlewin

Unread post by timlewin »

these are the best I can do for decent resolution photos of the pointy end of Corunna, but I cannot see any evidence of the mystery attachments. These all date from 1956, 4th DS, Malta.
tim
timlewin

these are the best I can do for decent resolution photos of the pointy end of Corunna, but I cannot see any evidence of the mystery attachments. These all date from 1956, 4th DS, Malta.
tim
Last edited by timlewin on Sat Nov 09, 2019 8:57 pm, edited 1 time in total.
timlewin

troubles attaching.
Little h

timlewin wrote: Sat Nov 09, 2019 8:55 pm these are the best I can do for decent resolution photos of the pointy end of Corunna, but I cannot see any evidence of the mystery attachments. These all date from 1956, 4th DS, Malta.
tim
Thanks for the contribution on this one Tim.

I'm wondering if the 'Tim' that David/Pelican made reference to - is in fact a contact on another site anf from whom he sought help in trying to identify these examples of 'Gizmo Mk2' ??
Little h
timlewin

it was me, but I missed your earlier post....
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic

Return to “Weapons Engineering”