Weapons Engineering - Gunnery and Missile Systems

Post anything relating to Weapons Engineering on this thread
jbryce1437

Weapons Engineering - Gunnery and Missile Systems

Unread post by jbryce1437 »

Whilst this may be a relatively modern title, the scope of this thread is to include all aspects of Naval armament, be it about the Armament Depots, or the evolution of naval gunnery systems and missiles.

For Drones, see the thread Unmanned Drones - All Types for Military and Naval Use

Gun loading practice in wartime
1_198 gun loading practice.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
HMS Raleigh 1963 , HMS Collingwood 1963 & 67 , HMS Ark Royal 1964-7, HMS Undaunted 1968-71, HMS Victory (Fleet Maintenance Group) 1971-72, HMS Exmouth 1972-74
JEM, EM, OEM, LOEM, POOEL
Then 28 years in the Fire Brigade
Retired since 2002
ivorthediver

Re: Weapons Engineering - Gunnery and Missile Systems

Unread post by ivorthediver »

Heres another historic fitment , for the records eh Jim 8-) 8-)
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
"What Ever Floats your Boat"
ivorthediver

Re: Weapons Engineering

Harry ,... I have just left a request on the "Type 23" thread with David , requesting information on Gunnery when it occurred to me that you may have knowledge of this information I seek please .

I realise that its each man to his trade , and that this area of activity is perhaps outside of your vast realm of expertise but thats never stopped you before now has it ;)

Kidding aside mate who on the forum might be able to assist me in finding out more if in the unlikely event you can't point me in the right direction please .

The request concerns " calibration of the barrel " :?: or any other useful information used to align , sight , correct the azimuth or other such re calibration retrofit involvement laying of the sight of fire [ I'm confident that a flood of corrections are on route regarding terminology / phrases correctly used in Naval parlance ], but if anyone else would know...... I feel confident its you Harry :oops:
Pelican

Unread post by Pelican »

US, UK jointly test energy storage systems for laser weapons

The US Navy and the UK defense ministry have tested an energy storage system capable of providing high-power electrical pulses for future systems under an agreement called Advanced Electric Power and Propulsion Project Arrangement (AEP3).

UK’s Defence Equipment & Support office and Dstl joined forces with the US Naval Sea Systems Command’s Electric Ship Office and the Office of Naval Research (ONR) to test the Flywheel Energy Storage System (FESS), which uses high-speed & lightweight flywheels to provide high-power electrical pulses.

The project has demonstrated the capability to manage the energy demands of novel future capabilities such as the Dragonfire Laser Directed Energy Weapon (LDEW) currently being developed by Dstl & industry.

USA testing was also supported by US Coalition Warfare Program (CWP) funding.

Both nations used a Power Hardware-In-the-Loop (PHIL) approach, where a ‘real’ FESS was integrated into a virtual ship power system emulating a RN ship operating in real-time. This approach offers a cost effective way to develop the hardware and de-risk its integration into a real ship, as well as to develop control and operating approaches.

After testing the FESS at the Florida State University’s (FSU) CAPs facility, the FESS was brought back to the UK and tested at the Power Networks Demonstration Centre (PNDC) in Scotland. This has allowed the UK to develop its PHIL capabilities and allowed both nations to validate their facilities and models against each other.

“This technology was originally developed by the Williams F1 team and was brought to us for potential use in Defence,” Andrew Tate from Dstl, said.

“We saw an attractive option to bolster defense capability through the provision of more robust and futureproof power systems for naval ships.”

From - https://navaltoday.com/2019/05/02/us-uk ... vEKqFOlnng

For the first time: Dragonfire showcases laser weapon model at DSEI

Dragonfire, a consortium contracted to develop a laser directed energy weapon for the Royal Navy, is showcasing a full-size model of the weapon at the DSEI expo in London for the first time ever.

In January this year, the Defence Science and Technology Laboratory (Dstl), awarded a £30million contract to the Dragonfire consortium, composed of QinetiQ, Leonardo-Finmeccanica, GKN, Arke, BAE Systems, Marshall ADG and MBDA at the helm.

The team’s goal was to use what technologies are at hand to make a high energy defensive laser weapon system that will include the engagement of representative targets in land and maritime environments in 2019.

The LDEW technology provides operational advantage to the UK military and the potential to export such systems in support of the Prosperity agenda, as advocated in the UK’s 2015 Strategic Defence and Security Review, by developing on-shore industrial capability.

Peter Cooper, Dstl’s Project Technical Authority for Dragonfire, said: “Dragonfire is the culmination of many years of work in the area of laser directed energy weapons. We are looking forward to the 2019 demonstration and, working with our industry colleagues, we aim provide the UK Armed Forces with innovative, effective and affordable solutions to the emerging threats they face.”

From - https://navaltoday.com/2017/09/13/for-t ... l-at-dsei/
HMS Pelican 1938 - 1958 GGCV L86 U86 F86 What I Have I Hold ~ A wonderful bird is the Pelican its beak can hold more than its belly can.
ivorthediver

Pelican wrote: Thu May 02, 2019 10:05 am US, UK jointly test energy storage systems for laser weapons

The US Navy and the UK defense ministry have tested an energy storage system capable of providing high-power electrical pulses for future systems under an agreement called Advanced Electric Power and Propulsion Project Arrangement (AEP3).

UK’s Defence Equipment & Support office and Dstl joined forces with the US Naval Sea Systems Command’s Electric Ship Office and the Office of Naval Research (ONR) to test the Flywheel Energy Storage System (FESS), which uses high-speed & lightweight flywheels to provide high-power electrical pulses.

The project has demonstrated the capability to manage the energy demands of novel future capabilities such as the Dragonfire Laser Directed Energy Weapon (LDEW) currently being developed by Dstl & industry.

USA testing was also supported by US Coalition Warfare Program (CWP) funding.

Both nations used a Power Hardware-In-the-Loop (PHIL) approach, where a ‘real’ FESS was integrated into a virtual ship power system emulating a RN ship operating in real-time. This approach offers a cost effective way to develop the hardware and de-risk its integration into a real ship, as well as to develop control and operating approaches.

After testing the FESS at the Florida State University’s (FSU) CAPs facility, the FESS was brought back to the UK and tested at the Power Networks Demonstration Centre (PNDC) in Scotland. This has allowed the UK to develop its PHIL capabilities and allowed both nations to validate their facilities and models against each other.

“This technology was originally developed by the Williams F1 team and was brought to us for potential use in Defence,” Andrew Tate from Dstl, said.

“We saw an attractive option to bolster defense capability through the provision of more robust and futureproof power systems for naval ships.”

From - https://navaltoday.com/2019/05/02/us-uk ... vEKqFOlnng

For the first time: Dragonfire showcases laser weapon model at DSEI

Dragonfire, a consortium contracted to develop a laser directed energy weapon for the Royal Navy, is showcasing a full-size model of the weapon at the DSEI expo in London for the first time ever.

In January this year, the Defence Science and Technology Laboratory (Dstl), awarded a £30million contract to the Dragonfire consortium, composed of QinetiQ, Leonardo-Finmeccanica, GKN, Arke, BAE Systems, Marshall ADG and MBDA at the helm.

The team’s goal was to use what technologies are at hand to make a high energy defensive laser weapon system that will include the engagement of representative targets in land and maritime environments in 2019.

The LDEW technology provides operational advantage to the UK military and the potential to export such systems in support of the Prosperity agenda, as advocated in the UK’s 2015 Strategic Defence and Security Review, by developing on-shore industrial capability.

Peter Cooper, Dstl’s Project Technical Authority for Dragonfire, said: “Dragonfire is the culmination of many years of work in the area of laser directed energy weapons. We are looking forward to the 2019 demonstration and, working with our industry colleagues, we aim provide the UK Armed Forces with innovative, effective and affordable solutions to the emerging threats they face.”

From - https://navaltoday.com/2017/09/13/for-t ... l-at-dsei/
This is a new one on me David , any other details on what it is or how it works please :idea:
Pelican

Unread post by Pelican »

Ivor try asking your Uncle Google about Rail and Laser guns.
HMS Pelican 1938 - 1958 GGCV L86 U86 F86 What I Have I Hold ~ A wonderful bird is the Pelican its beak can hold more than its belly can.
ivorthediver

Thanks David , but there are so many items released under the banner of Laser Weapons its a case of seeing the wood for the trees i.e. the Swedish Navy are releasing a Laser targeting system :?:
The word is banded about so often that its difficult to know precisely what they refer to .......rail Guns ....laser guns .... the last I heard they couldn't afford the ammunition :?: so currently obsolete .........laser guns .....insufficient data available yet just broad sweeping statements of generality :?:
Pelican

Unread post by Pelican »

ivorthediver wrote: Thu May 02, 2019 10:47 am Thanks David , but there are so many items released under the banner of Laser Weapons its a case of seeing the wood for the trees i.e. the Swedish Navy are releasing a Laser targeting system :?:
The word is banded about so often that its difficult to know precisely what they refer to .......rail Guns ....laser guns .... the last I heard they couldn't afford the ammunition :?: so currently obsolete .........laser guns .....insufficient data available yet just broad sweeping statements of generality :?:
This might be nearer the mark Ivor:

UK tests warship power systems for Dragonfire laser weapon

A system based on Le Mans motor-sport technologies has been developed for Royal Navy ships, say the MoD.
The Ministry of Defence say that the project has demonstrated the capability to manage the energy demands of novel future capabilities such as the Dragonfire Laser Directed Energy Weapon (LDEW) currently being developed by Dstl & industry.
“The Flywheel Energy Storage System (FESS) uses innovative high-speed & lightweight flywheels to provide high-power electrical pulses that these future systems require, reducing the impact of these systems to the rest of the ship, while avoiding the widely reported safety concern around battery-based systems.
Fundamental to the success of the project has been the collaborative testing of the FESS at both UK and US facilities. This was undertaken under the Advanced Electric Power and Propulsion Project Arrangement (AEP3), an arrangement between Dstl and DE&S in the UK, and NAVSEA’s Electric Ship Office and the Office of Naval Research (ONR) in the USA. USA testing was also supported by US Coalition Warfare Program (CWP) funding.”
According to DSTL, both nations utilised a Power Hardware-In-the-Loop (PHIL) approach, where a ‘real’ FESS was integrated into a virtual ship power system emulating a RN ship operating in real-time.
“This approach offers a cost effective way to develop the hardware and de-risk its integration into a real ship, as well as to develop control and operating approaches.”
Andrew Tate from Dstl, said:
“This technology was originally developed by the Williams F1 team and was brought to us for potential use in Defence. We saw an attractive option to bolster defence capability through the provision of more robust and futureproof power systems for naval ships. The development of FESS and the close working we have achieved with DE&S, GKN, PNDC and our US partners has now provided a significant addition benefit in the development of real-time modelling capability and PHIL testing facilities at PNDC.”
This work forms part of a planned wider de-risking activity to enable the RN to successfully integrate future energy intensive loads. While the US has previously used its own laser system at sea on the USS Ponce.

Article with images at - https://ukdefencejournal.org.uk/uk-test ... ENMD44Ua1E
ivorthediver

Thank you very much David , that says it all really , thanks for pruning the forest a little for me :)
Little h

Unread post by Little h »

NavyLookout on Twitter
@NavyLookout
12m12 minutes ago

Directed Energy Weapons (Lasers) won’t be Science Fiction much longer.

USAF has shot down multiple air-launched missiles using a DEW technology demonstrator.

https://www.thedrive.com/the-war-zone/2 ... r-aircraft

I wouldn't hold out much hope for surface or air drones when the navalised version of this technology arrives on warships
Little h
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic

Return to “Weapons Engineering”