Weapons Engineering - Gunnery and Missile Systems

Post anything relating to Weapons Engineering on this thread
designeraccd

Re: Weapons Engineering - Gunnery and Missile Systems

Unread post by designeraccd »

Here is a clear photo of the 5.25" removed from ARGONAUGHT while she was under repair at Phil. NY, IIRC........... DFO
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
ivorthediver

Unread post by ivorthediver »

Thanks Harry a brilliant bit of kit , thanks for the heads up .
"What Ever Floats your Boat"
ivorthediver

Thanks for sharing that Dennis , unlikely to see those again , but gives clear indication of how they are built , so many thanks
designeraccd

Unread post by designeraccd »

Definitely a interesting photo. I wonder how long it took to fabricate that "stand", holding the gun assembly? Given it was WW 2, maybe about as long as a meeting on proper PC for USN crew members does now??? :o DFO
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
ivorthediver

Yes and not a particular stable lift I would imagine to :?:
timlewin

Unread post by timlewin »

I cant work out if they are taking the ship apart or putting it together, looks as though they are dismantling her? is this a Dido or Black Prince?
Fascinating photos though. Thanks
tim
Little h

Unread post by Little h »

According to this piece she is being put back together Tim.

PHILADELPHIA NAVY YARD, USA. 1943. THE DAMAGE TO THE BOW OF THE CRUISER HMS ARGONAUT, SUSTAINED ...
3930354.JPG

Description

PHILADELPHIA NAVY YARD, USA. 1943. THE DAMAGE TO THE BOW OF THE CRUISER HMS ARGONAUT, SUSTAINED WHEN THE SHIP WAS TORPEDOED IN AN AIR ATTACK ON 1943-02-14. SHE LOST HER STERN IN THE SAME ATTACK, NECESSITATING REPAIRS IN THE USA. AT CENTRE RIGHT ARE THE TWIN 5.25 INCH MARK I MOUNTINGS OF A AND B TURRETS. IN THE BACKGROUND IS THE BATTLESHIP HMS ROYAL SOVEREIGN UNDERGOING A REFIT. NOTE THE TYPE 284 FIRE CONTROL RADAR ON THE CONTROL POSITION ABOVE THE CONNING TOWER. (NAVAL HISTORICAL COLLECTION).

Copyright
Item copyright: Copyright expired - public domain
Public Domain Mark This item is in the Public Domain

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

See also this link to Australian War Memorial site.

Description

PHILADELPHIA NAVY YARD, USA. 1943. A CRANE LOWERS THE UPPER SECTION OF THE NEW BOW OF THE BRITISH CRUISER HMS ARGONAUT TOWARDS ITS DESIGNATED PLACE IN THE SCAFFOLDING WHICH WILL SUPPORT IT UNTIL THE LOWER PART IS IN POSITION. THE CRUISER LOST HER BOW AND STERN WHEN TORPEDOED IN AN AIR ATTACK ON 1943-02-14. (NAVAL HISTORICAL COLLECTION).
Last edited by Little h on Mon Jul 08, 2019 12:38 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Little h
Little h

Unread post by Little h »

timlewin wrote: Mon Jul 08, 2019 9:13 am I cant work out if they are taking the ship apart or putting it together, looks as though they are dismantling her? is this a Dido or Black Prince?
Fascinating photos though. Thanks
tim
A Dido - according to the following excerpt from Naval Matters:-

OTDIH 14 Dec 1942 Royal Navy cruiser HMS Argonaut survived a near-devestating torpedo attack
Posted on December 14, 2013 by navalmatters

HMS Argonaut was a Dido-class cruiser built at Cammell Laird under the 1939 War Emergency Programme and commissioned into Royal Navy service on 14th July 1942. Following a workup with the Home Fleet at Scapa Flow and a convoy to Murmansk, Argonaut was nominated for service in the Mediterranean.

On 14th December 1942, while operating with Force Q from Bone, Tunisia (HMS Aurora, HMS Eskimo and HMS Quality), Argonaut was hit by 2 torpedoes fired from the Italian submarine Mocenigo off Galita Island in position 37.30N, 08.13E.

Argonaut sustained heavy structural damage. One torpedo blew off her bow. One torpedo blew off her stern. Miraculously, only 3 crew members lost their lives in the explosions.

According to Surgeon Lieutenant Commander Francis Henely, the following exchange took place.

The forward lookout reported:

Ship torpedoed forward. Sir”.

At the same time the aft lookout reported:

Ship torpedoed aft. Sir”.

To these reports the Captain replied:

When you two chaps have made up your minds which end has been torpedoed , let me know”.

Perhaps apocryphal, perhaps not… but a measure of sangfroid is expected in the most extreme of circumstances.

Despite sustaining heavy damage, Argonaut managed to make its way to Gibraltar thanks to the efforts of her damage control parties, sheer bloody willpower, and the undoubted the grace of God.
Little h
jbryce1437

Unread post by jbryce1437 »

Seeing the photos of the gun turret for Argonaught by Dennis reminded me of a set of photos of the gun turret and ammunition hoist for the monitor HMS Abercrombie of 1943

Jim
abercrombie-amunition-trunk.jpg
abercrombie-turntable-jan-1.jpg
HMS Abercrombie turret.jpg
HMS Raleigh 1963 , HMS Collingwood 1963 & 67 , HMS Ark Royal 1964-7, HMS Undaunted 1968-71, HMS Victory (Fleet Maintenance Group) 1971-72, HMS Exmouth 1972-74
JEM, EM, OEM, LOEM, POOEL
Then 28 years in the Fire Brigade
Retired since 2002
Pelican

Unread post by Pelican »

The Ministry of Defence is developing cutting-edge laser and radio frequency weapons which have the potential to revolutionise the battlefield.MOD to develop cutting-edge laser and radio frequency weapons

How long before automated drones using A.I. will be fighting one another?

See attached which is from - https://www.gov.uk/government/news/mod- ... r8OkflbF7g
HMS Pelican 1938 - 1958 GGCV L86 U86 F86 What I Have I Hold ~ A wonderful bird is the Pelican its beak can hold more than its belly can.
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic

Return to “Weapons Engineering”